The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

I m 18 and i voted.
Original post by GUMI
Well we have to draw the line somewhere and society has decided 18. And I agree with them, 18 is when people start university and most start living on their own which marks a time of change. With a sense of independence and responsibility don't you agree it's a fitting time to give them a vote too?

I'm a strong supporter of the voting age being lowered to 16. A person who votes at 18 won't be able to vote in another general election until they're 23. That is a very important time in a persons life but they have very little say over government policy which makes them a very easy target. By the time they can vote for policies to benefit them (like lower tuition fees) they have little incentive to do so as its already too late for them.

But I don't agree with taking votes away from old people because they won't live with the result. That's harsh, but I wish they wouldn't just vote for the same party they've always voted for regardless of policies.
Its just a shame for those who turn 18 the day after the elections, it must really suck
lol my 18th birthday is in a week so im pretty pissed off ngl
Original post by teenhorrorstory
And when we turn 18 we suddenly become so much more politically aware and free thinking?

There has to be a cut off age somewhere...
I think the voting age should be higher because I don't think at 18 you have enough life experience and certainly not at 16.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blackstarr
Its just a shame for those who turn 18 the day after the elections, it must really suck

This was me, I turned 18 the day after last years General Elections and couldn't vote xD
Original post by Armastan
This was me, I turned 18 the day after last years General Elections and couldn't vote xD

Ouch!

That must have hurt badly.
Original post by Blackstarr
Ouch!

That must have hurt badly.

I know! Apparently a single day will completely impact my level of maturity. :colonhash:
Original post by Armastan
I know! Apparently a single day will completely impact my level of maturity. :colonhash:

Its bad that people who have birthdays one day after the elections can't vote.

I think they should make adjustments for them, allow them to vote cuz its only one day post elections.

Anyway, If you had the chance to vote, what would you have voted for?
The number of votes you have should correspond to age. Old people can still vote but it's not worth as much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank goodness they didn't let 16-18's vote...
Original post by Blue_Mason
Oh please, most 16 - 18 year olds are clueless when it comes to politics and making important decisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's me..
Original post by cookie123456789
Thank goodness they didn't let 16-18's vote...

Aren't you in year 11? BTW why do you think we (16 year olds) shouldn't vote I know a lot of my friends including me who's deeply interested in politics. I can understand that some 16 year olds are immature however I think they should have lessons about taxes, politics etc. and How things in the real life world works
Was there some sort of political briefing you were supposed to get at 18 where you were thoroughly informed on everything and are now sufficiently knowledgeable to vote? I don't think I got one?

Oh yes, it doesn't exist.

Don't be ridiculous and generalise an entire age group - there are plenty of 18 year olds who struggle to tell their arse from their elbow, just as there are plenty that are mature and intelligent. The same goes for 16 year olds.

The points against 16 year olds would be a lot more valid if they hadn't already been allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum and proved that they could provide just as valuable an input as anyone else.
Original post by Starlight15
Aren't you in year 11? BTW why do you think we (16 year olds) shouldn't vote I know a lot of my friends including me who's deeply interested in politics. I can understand that some 16 year olds are immature however I think they should have lessons about taxes, politics etc. and How things in the real life world works

Yes I am 16, just finished Year 11. I was strongly in favour for leave but I know that many people my age were in favour for remain. My classmates were only influenced by their parents and the extremely left wing teachers who mocked the leave campaigners. This annoyed me greatly. They mocked students who wanted to leave the EU. Who's laughing now? Many 16 year olds also don't have a clue about politics. Many go red in the face when I talk to them about politics. If 16-18s had been able to vote the majority would have voted remain but for the wrong reasons and would probably have been influenced greatly by peer pressure and the government propaganda and of course the left wing teachers
Original post by Elivercury
Was there some sort of political briefing you were supposed to get at 18 where you were thoroughly informed on everything and are now sufficiently knowledgeable to vote? I don't think I got one?

Oh yes, it doesn't exist.

Don't be ridiculous and generalise an entire age group - there are plenty of 18 year olds who struggle to tell their arse from their elbow, just as there are plenty that are mature and intelligent. The same goes for 16 year olds.

The points against 16 year olds would be a lot more valid if they hadn't already been allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum and proved that they could provide just as valuable an input as anyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno why I laughed so much :biggrin:
Reply 37
The main reason I think that 16-18 year olds should have been allowed to vote in this referendum at least, is that it was made clear that if the UK were to leave the European Union, then the major long term consequences would happen after approximately two years. So if the country is voting on a decision that will impact these 16 year olds when they are legally old enough to vote (18) then don't they have a right to contribute their opinions and vote? I know that you could say that situations and the people maturity levels would change a lot in two years, but nevertheless the impact of the referendum will come about most prominently when these 16 year olds become adults.
Elderly people are e ones who have worked hard and contributed to this country. Most 16-20 year olds haven't worked full time and haven't contributed enough to vote. How dare you say that our war heroes, our former politicians, our former civil servants and people who have made a living for themselves and their families and who have shaped this country should not have a right to decide this future.

In fact, it should be 16-20 year olds who shouldn't be voting. Most of them have never worked full time and have contributed nothing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Judging by the people of my own age who can't even hold a reasonable discussion and resort to ad hominems to "win" their case, I'd rather see an increase in the voting age than a decrease.

I'd also like to point out that with our entrance into the Single Market in the 1970s, the older generation voted us in, therefore it's reasonable to conclude that they should be the ones to help carry the vote (and in this case, to vote us out again).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending