The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
Project fear lost, we all know the short term affects now you have a choice ***** about it or work to ensure we become the greatest country we can possibly be.

You work on being the greatest country you can be. You have the wrong flag as your avatar though, as it won't exist for much longer.
We have been let down by those who don't even understand the repercussions... :facepalm:
Nigel Farage couldn't even get elected in his own constituency. Now he's strutting around like he's the ****ing Emperor
Reply 63
Original post by Zadkiel
Pound will go down, S&P already told the UK rating will fall.

I don't think Scotland and Northern Ireland wants to be dragged down. EU lost a member, the UK will lose 2.

The EU lost its second biggest contributor as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Nigel Farage couldn't even get elected in his own constituency. Now he's strutting around like he's the ****ing Emperor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remind me to give you rep :ROFL:
Reply 65
Original post by floury

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem here is not Europe. It's UK.

You say: Ahahahah Europe is going to be f*cked without us! Eheh

But it's necessary to think: We will be screwed without Scotland and Northern Ireland, without some of the trade agreements, etc.
Original post by floury

Posted from TSR Mobile

The EU will recover, we are ****ed.
Reply 68
Leavers laughing at us remain people. SMH. watch the economy fall and burn.
-as the pound falls, imports become more expensive, causing inflation
-inflation will increase mortagages, as a result interest rates rise, rents become more expensive
- Scotland and NI will have another referendum which will break up UK
- economy will suffer badly due to lack of investment, wages expected to fall by 5%, government will have less money as a a result we can expect more cuts to NHS and pensions (nigel admitted the pledge to give NHS 350million a week was a 'mistake') on top of this this investors are choosing to invest in the EU not UK as it is safer.
- it will take many long years to recover as EU members made it clear we would not get any benefits, also our influence within europe will decline triggering mass isolation
THE BIGGEST EFFECT- banks will move abroad as the economy falls they cannot trade across the EU.The 250 foreign banks based in the UK employ almost 160,000 people. these are globalised businesses which face very little regulation- why stay in UK when you can go to Hong Kong? or emerging markets where corporation tax is dirt cheap and regulation is even less?
Congrats all! Did anyone else vote leave to celebrate the release of the movie Independence Day: Resurgence?
So what will happen to those who live in the UK (for 5+ years) with a European passport?
Reply 71
Original post by Zadkiel
I don't really care, I am moving to Edinburgh anyway and I will do everything I possibly can to make sure Scotland leaves UK and remains in EU.

There won't be UK anymore. There will be United England and Wales, Scotland and Northen Ireland.

Way to go chaps.

A Scottish independence would be much more harmful for the Scottish economy than Brexit.
Reply 72
Original post by JAFF2400
So what will happen to those who live in the UK (for 5+ years) with a European passport?

If you have a job, nothing.
Original post by JAFF2400

Apply for a UK passport?
Original post by Josb
A Scottish independence would be much more harmful for the Scottish economy than Brexit.

Says who?

Even if you're correct, what does it matter? The lesson we've learnt today is that sovereignty over your own laws and not being bossed around by a majority - regardless of how democratic - is more important than your economy. Therefore the only rational vote is independence surely?
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Apply for a UK passport?

Good idea lol
Reply 76
Original post by Elivercury
Says who?

Even if you're correct, what does it matter? The lesson we've learnt today is that sovereignty over your own laws and not being bossed around by a majority - regardless of how democratic - is more important than your economy. Therefore the only rational vote is independence surely?

It's logic. Scotland will be a new country with a new currency and the SNP is considered very left wing. It would have a low credibility.
Lol why don't you guys be more optimistic? We can export more with the weaker pound. Also, we can be independent again and not be restricted by one random people from the EU government. Leaving won't be bad for the economy.
Original post by Josb
It's logic. Scotland will be a new country with a new currency and the SNP is considered very left wing. It would have a low credibility.

And? Sovereignty!

We want control over our own laws and destiny! Screw the consequences!

If logic worked, Remain would have won.
Original post by Josb

By ignorant folk. The SNP are not really 'left-wing', they are really a centrist party who lean left socially but actually have right leaning economic policies. Remember the SNP have extended a hand of warmth to corporations by saying in an independent Scotland they would lower corporation tax in order to garner investment and job opportunities.

Scotland isn't some backwater third world nation, it's a wealthy European nation. It wouldn'y go into free fall as an independent but would take at least 5-10 years to build itself up, especially as a triple AAA accredited nations.

Also bare in mind, Scotland exports alot which is very good for your currency - it means you have reserves of foreign currency which is important economically (hence why China is beginning to reign supreme).

I think it is for the best. Scotland is on a different path politically to England. The last vestiges of the U.K. are beginning to unravel.

Just has England has said it can work with Europe without being tied to a union, so to can Scotland with England - I hope.

Latest