The Student Room Group

Eu referendum------help

I'm very very bad at Politics and I don't really get what'd happened and it's effects.....

I understand that the Strength of the Pound has fallen but I need a BASIC breakdown of what has happened and when the effects shall take place?

1)Will people who came here as EU Members be kicked out?
2)Does that mean we shall see no more Chinese students?
3)Will the Pound ever restore it's power?
4)Now that Scotland wants to leave and so does Ireland, What would happen to UK if they did so?
5)Do they really have to change their flags?
6)Will British Citizens be affected by this?
7)Can we ever join back into the EU?
8)Will there be riots?
9)What is Article 50?

Thanks
-Bulletzone
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think anyone really knows the answer to anything yet :frown:
Original post by CrazyKittenLady

Spoiler

I'm sure protests will occur.
Original post by saraxh

Spoiler

So scary everything is just speculations and opinions at the moment.
Reply 5
So scary everything is just speculations and opinions at the moment.

Original post by saraxh
I'm sure protests will occur.

Original post by saraxh

Spoiler

It is indeed frightening.

I have so many friends who came here due to the fact they're a part of a EU and if they left, I'd absolutely enter depression. Furthermore, I have a thing for Asians Idk why :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some of those who studied Economics know that the pound falling now is just typical investor behaviour (and the fact that most betted on Remain)

Article 50 is the two-year process of a member leaving, and the re-negotiation of the relationship between the leaving member and the EU. "It won't be pretty", say the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bulletzone
It is indeed frightening.

I have so many friends who came here due to the fact they're a part of a EU and if they left, I'd absolutely enter depression. Furthermore, I have a thing for Asians Idk why :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure riots will take place tonight because people are not happy atm. Since Nigel Farage lied about guaranteeing £350 million a week for the NHS after we leave the EU.
Reply 8
Original post by saraxh
I'm sure riots will take place tonight because people are not happy atm. Since Nigel Farage lied about guaranteeing £350 million a week for the NHS after we leave the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow. So he lied to make people vote remain?
Posted from TSR Mobile

No to vote leave. It was proven in a interview this morning he did.
Posted from TSR Mobile

No he didn't lie. Stop misinforming. Nigel farage said that 350 million could be used elsewhere, then the leave campiagners twisted it and said it could be used 100% on the NHS. Yes the money would be freed up, but no guarantee it will be used on the NHS. Plus, farage isn't even in power?? How are people dumb enough to believe that he has the power to decide where money is spent...
Reply 11
9-Triggering Article 50, formally notifying the intension to withdraw, starts a two-year clock running. After that, the Treaties that govern membership no longer apply to Britain. The terms of exit will be negotiated between Britain’s 27 counterparts, and each will have a veto over the conditions.
the rest of the questions no one knows the answer to, but the looking at how baldy the stocks fell (which was worse than people expected if Brexit happened) the future doesnt look great. :frown: :frown: why?
-obviously, if the pound falls imports become more expensive, food prices will rise along with others this will trigger inflation
-inflation will increase mortgages as a result interest rates will rise, thus rents will increase as landlords try to cover their cost (brilliant news for students smh)
-inflation will hit pensioners hard and they shouldn't expect to receive any more money as the government wont be able to fund it (the government was already struggling to fund pensions before we even left)
- with a weak economy and less trade wages will drop and as will benefits (nigel admitted today his policy of giving 350m to the NHS if we leave was a 'mistake' aka a lie). so the NHS may face more privatisation.
-it will take years and also years to recover as most of our trade went to the Eu, we have no actual trade agreements in place, there is lot of uncertaincy which will deter investments and the EU made it very clear not to expect any benefits in order to deter other countries from leaving.
-scotland will leave as all constituencies wanted to remain as did the majority of NI constituencies- this will break the UK up
I'm very very bad at Politics and I don't really get what'd happened and it's effects.....

I understand that the Strength of the Pound has fallen but I need a BASIC breakdown of what has happened and when the effects shall take place?

1)Will people who came here as EU Members be kicked out?
2)Does that mean we shall see no more Chinese students?
3)Will the Pound ever restore it's power?
4)Now that Scotland wants to leave and so does Ireland, What would happen to UK if they did so?
5)Do they really have to change their flags?
6)Will British Citizens be affected by this?
7)Can we ever join back into the EU?
8)Will there be riots?
9)What is Article 50?

Thanks
-Bulletzone

1) For the moment, we do not know who is an EU migrant as they require no documents- people who are here at the moment are UK citizens and are eligible to stay so will not be impacted, and anybody who comes here and applies for a NI in the next 2 years will be granted access. After this, their status will be uncertain for those who arrive later.
2) China is not part of the EU, and so will probably still be allowed access to the UK. These students are under an educational visa that lasts for the duration of their study period, this will therefore not change.
3) Possibly, possibly not, its far too early to call that, although it has slowly risen from a 6% fall when the results were coming in, and its now down only around 4ish%, so it should be okay.
4) Scotland and NI I reckon will call another referendum, as it will want to go its own way. The Scottish conservative party has mentioned about rebranding to "get away from the scourge Cameron has given us", and is very likely to call a referendum, ad they voted overwhelmingly in favour of remain - http://www.theweek.co.uk/scottish-independence/55716/scottish-independence-referendum-could-be-held-within-two-years. Honestly, the UK will fall apart, NI is likely to go to referendum because, now being outside the EU, they will be subjected to border controls with Ireland, and will possibly unite with ROI, but again its too early to call.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3657960/Sinn-Fein-calls-referendum-Irish-reunification-Brexit.html?ito=social-facebook
5) Probably not, I wouldn't have thought so but again its too early.
6) By the splitting of the UK, yes undoubtedly. By leaving the EU, yes undoubtedly, we have lost the benefits of ever being in a trade bloc, and whilst we still have access to the free market, there will of course be currently unknown impacts. The Spanish government have spoken and said they request Gibraltar's sovereignty to be shared between the 2 nations. - http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfinance/6-ways-britain-leaving-the-eu-will-affect-you/ar-AAhzcoV?ocid=spartandhp
7) Uh..... No. According to Juncker, No.
8) Given the scenes outside of Boris Johnson's house this morning, probably. I suspect from YP who voted overwhelmingly to stay.
9) "Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union allows a member state to notify the EU of its withdrawal and obliges the EU to try to negotiate a ‘withdrawal agreement’ with that state" - http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/

Hope this was useful, any other questions let me know :smile:
Oh, this is a useful link to read if you're still confused -
http://news.sky.com/story/1712387/so-just-how-do-you-divorce-the-eu
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kerriveal
x

Whilst I can probably tell which way you voted in the referendum, your points were very well put and attempted at being a non-bias account of the impacts, so I applaud you for it.

To the OP, the exact impacts on our country are unknown and will not be known until the negotiations begin with the EU.
Original post by kerriveal
1) For the moment, we do not know who is an EU migrant as they require no documents- people who are here at the moment are UK citizens and are eligible to stay so will not be impacted, and anybody who comes here and applies for a NI in the next 2 years will be granted access. After this, their status will be uncertain for those who arrive later.
2) China is not part of the EU, and so will probably still be allowed access to the UK. These students are under an educational visa that lasts for the duration of their study period, this will therefore not change.
3) Possibly, possibly not, its far too early to call that, although it has slowly risen from a 6% fall when the results were coming in, and its now down only around 4ish%, so it should be okay.
4) Scotland and NI I reckon will call another referendum, as it will want to go its own way. The Scottish conservative party has mentioned about rebranding to "get away from the scourge Cameron has given us", and is very likely to call a referendum, ad they voted overwhelmingly in favour of remain - http://www.theweek.co.uk/scottish-independence/55716/scottish-independence-referendum-could-be-held-within-two-years. Honestly, the UK will fall apart, NI is likely to go to referendum because, now being outside the EU, they will be subjected to border controls with Ireland, and will possibly unite with ROI, but again its too early to call.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3657960/Sinn-Fein-calls-referendum-Irish-reunification-Brexit.html?ito=social-facebook
5) Probably not, I wouldn't have thought so but again its too early.
6) By the splitting of the UK, yes undoubtedly. By leaving the EU, yes undoubtedly, we have lost the benefits of ever being in a trade bloc, and whilst we still have access to the free market, there will of course be currently unknown impacts. The Spanish government have spoken and said they request Gibraltar's sovereignty to be shared between the 2 nations. - http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfinance/6-ways-britain-leaving-the-eu-will-affect-you/ar-AAhzcoV?ocid=spartandhp
7) Uh..... No. According to Juncker, No.
8) Given the scenes outside of Boris Johnson's house this morning, probably. I suspect from YP who voted overwhelmingly to stay.
9) "Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union allows a member state to notify the EU of its withdrawal and obliges the EU to try to negotiate a ‘withdrawal agreement’ with that state" - http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/

Hope this was useful, any other questions let me know :smile:
Oh, this is a useful link to read if you're still confused -
http://news.sky.com/story/1712387/so-just-how-do-you-divorce-the-eu

Wow thanks for the answer. Shame I'm on phone (no rep) :frown:
So basically, it's too early to call what exactly will happen as we are still going through the withdrawing phase?

Posted from TSR Mobile
China isn't in the EU what are you on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow thanks for the answer. Shame I'm on phone (no rep) :frown:
So basically, it's too early to call what exactly will happen as we are still going through the withdrawing phase?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much, and no I couldn't vote, missed it by a few months.... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest