The Student Room Group

Medical work experience help !!

I cannot find work experience anywhere. Everywhere i go they say that they are full or they don't do work experience. What should i do?
Keep trying, it's the only thing you can do. And be comforted that everyone else has these problems (except doctors kids...).
I know right.

I want to know too.
Original post by Blackstarr
I know right.

I want to know too.

Original post by Science_Girl
Keep trying, it's the only thing you can do. And be comforted that everyone else has these problems (except doctors kids...).

Thanks guys :smile: Yeh i will
I know right.

I want to know too.

Where did you ask ? Hospitals ?
One of the ways to get into this is through your school/college. Some have links or agreements with NHS trusts to allow placements, and there are sometimes programmes in place already. I'd recommend speaking to your careers advisor at your school to find out if anything already is in place. Also it can be good to look outside hospitals, places like hospices, clinics or health centres are a really good experience, or even nursing homes (although you aren't necessarily getting to work with doctors, you can still learn a lot about complex health needs). Any experience where you are working with vulnerable people is a useful one and as a doctor you're going to need to communicate with people from all walks of life.

You should also consider how you are contacting these places and the way you're asking for work experience too (are you showing your passion, explaining why it would be useful to you, explaining what you want from your career), and remembering that it's difficult for employers to meet demands for specific times and lengths of placements. Even shadowing for a day or two is better than nothing. Making sure you follow up any contact is important as you should be getting a response either way.
Original post by Charlotte49
One of the ways to get into this is through your school/college. Some have links or agreements with NHS trusts to allow placements, and there are sometimes programmes in place already. I'd recommend speaking to your careers advisor at your school to find out if anything already is in place. Also it can be good to look outside hospitals, places like hospices, clinics or health centres are a really good experience, or even nursing homes (although you aren't necessarily getting to work with doctors, you can still learn a lot about complex health needs). Any experience where you are working with vulnerable people is a useful one and as a doctor you're going to need to communicate with people from all walks of life.

You should also consider how you are contacting these places and the way you're asking for work experience too (are you showing your passion, explaining why it would be useful to you, explaining what you want from your career), and remembering that it's difficult for employers to meet demands for specific times and lengths of placements. Even shadowing for a day or two is better than nothing. Making sure you follow up any contact is important as you should be getting a response either way.

Aw thank you so much this is so helpful but the thing is my school has left it to yourselves so i can't even talk to them about it also now i've left school i can't really talk to them.
Original post by nisha.sri
Aw thank you so much this is so helpful but the thing is my school has left it to yourselves so i can't even talk to them about it also now i've left school i can't really talk to them.

Presumably you've just finished your GCSEs then? If that's the case it could be worth contacting your sixth form and making them aware that you're a medical applicant and enquiring as to whether they have anything in place. I would assume your school isn't closed for the summer yet so you can still contact the careers advisor there and ask to meet with them for some advice. Realistically, while these things are useful, you can't rely on someone sorting out your work experience for you so you do need to contact places on your own.
Presumably you've just finished your GCSEs then? If that's the case it could be worth contacting your sixth form and making them aware that you're a medical applicant and enquiring as to whether they have anything in place. I would assume your school isn't closed for the summer yet so you can still contact the careers advisor there and ask to meet with them for some advice. Realistically, while these things are useful, you can't rely on someone sorting out your work experience for you so you do need to contact places on your own.

Yep that's right :smile: My sixth form does this thing it's called Enrichment and we can do Medical Elective,Duke of Edinburgh etc... would that be classified as work experience. I've called so many places such as hospitals,opticians,pharmacies and many more but they don't have many places available which is a shame.
Yep that's right :smile: My sixth form does this thing it's called Enrichment and we can do Medical Elective,Duke of Edinburgh etc... would that be classified as work experience. I've called so many places such as hospitals,opticians,pharmacies and many more but they don't have many places available which is a shame.

DofE includes a volunteering element, which you could do in an area with vulnerable adults, as for the medical elective, it really depends what this actually includes. You may need to look further afield or, as I mentioned previously, consider how you're contacting these places and presenting yourself. You really do need to just keep trying, and if they are full, ask when they are next accepting applications. Hospices, nursing homes, care homes, homeless charities, charities for a specific condition etc. are often more likely to take you on for work experience than hospitals, pharmacies and so on.
DofE includes a volunteering element, which you could do in an area with vulnerable adults, as for the medical elective, it really depends what this actually includes. You may need to look further afield or, as I mentioned previously, consider how you're contacting these places and presenting yourself. You really do need to just keep trying, and if they are full, ask when they are next accepting applications. Hospices, nursing homes, care homes, homeless charities, charities for a specific condition etc. are often more likely to take you on for work experience than hospitals, pharmacies and so on.

Oh ok thank you and i will keep trying.Are you currently a nurse ? Where did you do your work experience ?
Oh ok thank you and i will keep trying.Are you currently a nurse ? Where did you do your work experience ?

I'm almost finished my degree. I did a lot of different things hospitals, hospices, RSPCA, homeless charities, worked with kids with autism, charity shops. I also did a project working on employment opportunities for disabled young people, and a few competitions and experience days. There are lots of opportunities out there if you are open to trying new things and you can focus them on the way health affects other areas of peoples lives and vice versa.
I'm almost finished my degree. I did a lot of different things hospitals, hospices, RSPCA, homeless charities, worked with kids with autism, charity shops. I also did a project working on employment opportunities for disabled young people, and a few competitions and experience days. There are lots of opportunities out there if you are open to trying new things and you can focus them on the way health affects other areas of peoples lives and vice versa.

WOW you are so determined. If you don't mind me asking what did you get for your GCSE and a-levels ?
WOW you are so determined. If you don't mind me asking what did you get for your GCSE and a-levels ?

Realistically comparing my results (or anyone else's for that matter) with what you think you're going to get isn't going to help you, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. There is too much of a culture of comparing results when all that really matters is what you achieve and whether it's enough to get you into the next stage of education. Don't worry about what anyone else is getting because there will always be someone who has more/better results, especially in medicine.

I am an inspiring nurse but don' know whether A levels(sociology, Religious studies and health and social care BTEC) are better as opposed to the health and social care BTEC itself which is equivalent to 3 A levels.

Will i be fine with just doing a BTEC or Doing the above A levels will be better as not many universities accept/acknowledge the health and social care BTEC.
Where did you ask ? Hospitals ?

Yeah but to no avail

Maybe you should try volunteering at your local hospital if they have vacancies.
I am an inspiring nurse but don' know whether A levels(sociology, Religious studies and health and social care BTEC) are better as opposed to the health and social care BTEC itself which is equivalent to 3 A levels.

Will i be fine with just doing a BTEC or Doing the above A levels will be better as not many universities accept/acknowledge the health and social care BTEC.

You've asked this question quite a few times and have had plenty of good answers.

Presumably you've contacted the universities you're interested in and asked which they will accept, if you're finding that the BTEC limits your options then it might not be the best idea. A Levels are a better transferable qualification, if you decided to apply for something else or didn't complete your degree.

If you do A Levels I would strongly advise against doing religious studies as it bears no relevance to nursing whatsoever. I'm not even sure if the health and social care BTEC as an A Level is accepted by universities and would urge you to consider 'traditional' subjects. Most universities now require a science too, either biology, chemistry or physics (some accept psychology).
[QUOTE=Charlotte49;66092117]You've asked this question quite a few times and have had plenty of good answers.

Presumably you've contacted the universities you're interested in and asked which they will accept, if you're finding that the BTEC limits your options then it might not be the best idea. A Levels are a better transferable qualification, if you decided to apply for something else or didn't complete your degree.

If you do A Levels I would strongly advise against doing religious studies as it bears no relevance to nursing whatsoever. I'm not even sure if the health and social care BTEC as an A Level is accepted by universities and would urge you to consider 'traditional' subjects. Most universities now require a science too, either biology, chemistry or physics (some accept psychology).

??

And i guess i will have to contact the universities
Hi,

I hope that you have had some luck with finding work experience. Gap Medics can help you to get real, relevant hospital work experience with a nursing mentor which will not only help you to stand out on your applications and at interview but will also give you a unique understanding of what being a nurse is really like in a global context.

You can also download our free copy of 'Getting into Nursing and Midwifery School' guide which is full of helpful hints and tips about the application process. http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/downloads/

Good luck :smile:
Lauren

Quick Reply

Latest