The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
Why do people dislike democracy?

Because if the results were reversed the same wouldn't be happening? Farage was quite explicit on that
A new referendum would be stupid now. Let's give Leave a year before chocking them into the gutter
Original post by physicsphysics91
The EU is very democratic with all the unelected officials lol ow wait

If the EU was undemocratic we wouldn't have just left.

This why referenda are awful ideas, they don't always settle issues and a large group want a neverendum and if smart can force one. That said, i hope these people don't rally behind one party and this petition will be ejected.

Original post by *Stefan*
Wait till you see your tears when you realise your mistake.

190bn wiped off of the FTSE in just 12 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One day of panic does not define whether the decision was right or wrong, we can only answer that in 5-10 years post Brexit and then ask 'was it worth it'.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

so much for greatest happiness of the greatest number oh wait when about half the people aren't happy you're doing a **** job
There can't be another vote... As much as I would have liked the decision to be remain, the decision was made by the people of the UK to leave the EU... People should have realised that this decision will affect everyone, far more than remaining in the EU, for the worst!
The vote was a one way trip and people should have realised that; it's not like a general election of the prime minister where you vote every 4 years so you can change your mind if you don't like the way they run... It's such a shame :frown:
I voted remain, but this is embarrassing. Accept the result and move on.
Reply 27
Clearly knee jerk reactions

Yes, clearly:colonhash:

Nothing is real according to the Leave campaign. Hilarious.
Lol move on... It's a democracy.
To have a well functioning democracy you need an informed public.

Just a few hours after the results were announced, we are hearing that many of Leave's promises could only be fulfilled if we accept freedom of movement, which goes against the fundamntal premise that Leave campaigned on.

A democracy where the public are uninformed is hardly a democracy by our colloquial definition of the word.
Original post by ib_hopeful
To have a well functioning democracy you need an informed public.

Just a few hours after the results were announced, we are hearing that many of Leave's promises could only be fulfilled if we accept freedom of movement, which goes against the fundamntal premise that Leave campaigned on.

A democracy where the public are uninformed is hardly a democracy by our colloquial definition of the word.

Farage isn't on the official leave campaign nor is he chancellor
Original post by jneill
Yes, agreed, there will have to be a new deal from the EU first. Probably with immigration front and centre.

But I do think this process isn't over yet.

Except everyone in the EU has said there's no chance that's going to happen.

Now what?
If this happens I despair
Reply 33
The EU is very democratic with all the unelected officials lol ow wait

Yes, I for one am looking forward to October when we'll have a Prime Minister no-one voted for, a House of Lords stuffed with people no-one voted for and a Queen who, unsurprisingly, no-one voted for either.
Original post by offhegoes
Yes, I for one am looking forward to October when we'll have a Prime Minister no-one voted for, a House of Lords stuffed with people no-one voted for and a Queen who, unsurprisingly, no-one voted for either.

Which is better than an EU president nobody has heard of and elected officials nobody has heard of loooool
Reply 35
Original post by Rakas21
One day of panic does not define whether the decision was right or wrong, we can only answer that in 5-10 years post Brexit and then ask 'was it worth it'.

A simplification of course, but at least we can use that weekly £350m to put the FTSE back in order. It would only take 10 years to put that £190bn back.

Oh wait, it never was £350m was it... Oh damn, that's a bugger.
Original post by joecphillips
Why do people dislike democracy?

It's not perfect

Well here's a surprise... Remainers who don't understand democracy... :colonhash:
Original post by offhegoes
A simplification of course, but at least we can use that weekly £350m to put the FTSE back in order. It would only take 10 years to put that £190bn back.

Oh wait, it never was £350m was it... Oh damn, that's a bugger.

Ha.

The FTSE will be fine, it'll take damage during the negotiations as posturing occurs but post negotiations there's little reason to think we won't see markets steadily recover.
Reply 39
Which is better than an EU president nobody has heard of and elected officials nobody has heard of loooool

You're laughing out out out out out loud? Interesting.

I've heard of the EU President and I know my MEPs - I did, after all, vote for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending