The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jammy Duel
We were told the pound would fall over 20% it fell by no more than 8pc, depending on when you take it from...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apart from when it fell by over 11% in the space of 12 hours, from $1.50 to $1.33?
Reply 41
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Oil and gas is the main sector of their economy, as global dependence on fossil fuels is gradually phased out, they will have to mooch of someone, be it the UK or the EU. The EU is not in great shape at all right now, arguably worse than this country which is why I am optimistic that we will get trade deals and free movement with the EU as deals are banged out.

Well it doesn't bode well if one day after a Leave vote you're already after sending the Royal Navy out to squash some more troublesome natives and take their resources.

Back to the good old days...
Original post by offhegoes
Well it doesn't bode well if one day after a Leave vote you're already after sending the Royal Navy out to squash some more troublesome natives and take their resources.

Back to the good old days...

I was obviously joking. I have the self-awareness to know when a proposal is ridiculous, unlike people who genuinely think that London, NI and Scotland can all gang up and leave those nasty little Englanders who provide them with food, fuel and somewhere to retire.
Apart from when it fell by over 11% in the space of 12 hours, from $1.50 to $1.33?

And rebounded

"As markets react negatively to Leave remember they called this wrong in first place and will inevitably over-react."

The FTSE also rebounded. It's hardly unknown that the markets love to overreact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol bye scotland. No one cares.
First and only intelligent thread to be made on here tbh :holmes:
All the rest are either crying or jacking off.

Essentially what has happened is Britain has gained her independence and sovereignty at the expense of some economic losses.
All that's left is for your leaders to decide a suitable plan for a future that will benefit both the young and the old and soften the blow of whatever economic repercussions that may ensue.

Spoiler

This is why I think it would be a win-win all round to allow Scotland to straddle both. Edinburgh could become this financial powerhouse similar to London whilst the UK maintains a diversified economy.

I suspect it would be unworkable in reality. How could you have ultimate control of the country rest with both rUK and the EU? In the immediate term it would work because all of the UK fits within the EU, but the UK left for a reason and will start diverging away from the EU (whether for better or for worse).

I mean, just to throw a specific example out there, the conservatives have stated they may to amend the bill of human rights. Assuming they did (and they may not, it's just an example) what does Scotland do when it is then subjected to two forms of human rights, the one from rUK and the one from the EU?

Sweden while in a trading/political alliance with Norway, is still completely its own country (so far as I'm aware), whereas Scotland, while having many devolved powers, is not.
Original post by Elivercury
I suspect it would be unworkable in reality. How could you have ultimate control of the country rest with both rUK and the EU? In the immediate term it would work because all of the UK fits within the EU, but the UK left for a reason and will start diverging away from the EU (whether for better or for worse).

I mean, just to throw a specific example out there, the conservatives have stated they may to amend the bill of human rights. Assuming they did (and they may not, it's just an example) what does Scotland do when it is then subjected to two forms of human rights, the one from rUK and the one from the EU?

Sweden while in a trading/political alliance with Norway, is still completely its own country (so far as I'm aware), whereas Scotland, while having many devolved powers, is not.

Scotland already has it's own laws and it's own police force, it actually seems very workable for them to remain in political union with us, but enact Scottish laws so that they complying with EU directives.
Reply 48
And rebounded

"As markets react negatively to Leave remember they called this wrong in first place and will inevitably over-react."

The FTSE also rebounded. It's hardly unknown that the markets love to overreact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's early days remember, let's just wait and see.
Scotland already has it's own laws and it's own police force, it actually seems very workable for them to remain in political union with us, but enact Scottish laws so that they complying with EU directives.

I said they do, but ultimately it belongs to the UK and they UK has the deciding vote on many matters and some things at a union level.

I suppose for what you're suggesting to work the UK would have to change from a political union to a trading union. While they would go from being in a trading union with the EU to a political union. Funny that.
It's early days remember, let's just wait and see.

It's unlikely to go anywhere but up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51

Right, because what Scotland is worried about is not being able to follow EU directives...

Nothing to do with trade, right of free movement, ideology, etc....
I said they do, but ultimately it belongs to the UK and they UK has the deciding vote on many matters and some things at a union level.

I suppose for what you're suggesting to work the UK would have to change from a political union to a trading union. While they would go from being in a trading union with the EU to a political union. Funny that.

Then devolve human rights laws, I am really attached to this idea now. It's wildly eccentric, but in a way which could lead to prosperity for many people in this country.
Reply 53
It's unlikely to go anywhere but up

Posted from TSR Mobile

And house prices? NHS funding? Trade?

We've barely even begun yet. Worst rate against the dollar for 30 years and we haven't even got started on the 2 year process for leaving the EU yet...
Right, because what Scotland is worried about is not being able to follow EU directives...

If Scotland wishes to follow EU directives, it should be devolved and they should have that right.

Nothing to do with trade, right of free movement, ideology, etc....

I have a feeling the UK will be getting trade and free movement outside the EU. Mr Juncker can't destroy Europe just to make an example of this country given the fragile state of the European economy.
And house prices? NHS funding? Trade?

We've barely even begun yet. Worst rate against the dollar for 30 years and we haven't even got started on the 2 year process for leaving the EU yet...

Likely a slight decline in the short term; no changes; no changes, maybe slightly higher exports.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then devolve human rights laws, I am really attached to this idea now. It's wildly eccentric, but in a way which could lead to prosperity for many people in this country.

It's certainly an interesting idea.

I think to be honest the first port of call should be working out something for the Irish.

Lets be honest, this is all pretty high level and short of jobs disappearing/appearing for us as a result, isn't going to have a huge amount of day to day impact for some time.

On the other hand, the Irish are suddenly facing the reintroduction of a border and the country being segregated once again. There are plenty of people who cross the border for work etc. every day and will no longer be able to do that easily (once the break happens, I'm aware the vote does not immediately create these borders).
It's certainly an interesting idea.

I think to be honest the first port of call should be working out something for the Irish.

Lets be honest, this is all pretty high level and short of jobs disappearing/appearing for us as a result, isn't going to have a huge amount of day to day impact for some time.

On the other hand, the Irish are suddenly facing the reintroduction of a border and the country being segregated once again. There are plenty of people who cross the border for work etc. every day and will no longer be able to do that easily (once the break happens, I'm aware the vote does not immediately create these borders).

The Irish Republic is not a wealthy nation and would struggle to assimilate the North, but we need to respect the humanity of Irish people who should be able to visit friends and relatives with ease.
Now we build a wall.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Now we build a wall.

Where? In the sea? We're a f***ing island.

Quick Reply

Latest