The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The over reactions are quite funny.

People have the wrong mindset about this.....in a way this is actually in our favour in the long term. But hey what do I know, I'm just some guy right :tongue: :wink:
There is a background to the pound falling though that is deeper than just Brexit. Its was already at a 7 year low earlier in the week, and was called the most over valued currency earlier in the year by DB.

There is a lot of knee jerking going on as the market usually do, but the general commentary seems to be as if people have never witnessed what markets do or been following them for any period of time. Going to be a while before we can tell how much is just reactionary based on uncertainty.

I am loving the global turmoil caused by a small irrelevant island in the atlantic though.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466772987.641156.jpg

Best thing about this is the jokes :biggrin:
Reply 5903
Original post by trapking
The over reactions are quite funny.

People have the wrong mindset about this.....in a way this is actually in our favour in the long term. But hey what do I know, I'm just some guy right :tongue: :wink:

Original post by Fizzel
There is a background to the pound falling though that is deeper than just Brexit. Its was already at a 7 year low earlier in the week, and was called the most over valued currency earlier in the year by DB.

There is a lot of knee jerking going on as the market usually do, but the general commentary seems to be as if people have never witnessed what markets do or been following them for any period of time. Going to be a while before we can tell how much is just reactionary based on uncertainty.

I am loving the global turmoil caused by a small irrelevant island in the atlantic though.

It probably was at a 7 year low earlier in the week because of brexit?

Yeah we have to see how it would work but if Scotland try and leave UK along with Northern Ireland there's going to be another drop.

Yeah the meltdown is funny tbf.
Original post by bammy jastard 27

Yeah we have to see how it would work but if Scotland try and leave UK along with Northern Ireland there's going to be another drop.

Not sure why Scotland feel so entitled to another referendum. They voted to stay in, almost 50% of the population voted to stay in the EU, but we live in a democracy and they are a part of it. It was cited as a once in a generation/lifetime opportunity. I can understand why the SNP would want it for political purposes etc, but can't see it happening anytime soon.
Reply 5905
Lol it's just morning and the pound is now 1.37 dollars. Any american who is moving to England is going to get their money's worth.
Original post by Zerforax
Tbh democracy is just touted to make the average person feel like they have some control over the bigger issues in their life. Getting 30-60% of people to vote once every 5 years for a limited pool of people (the bigger parties control which people get the visibility these days) isn't really a true democracy - especially in a technology age where actually we could have everyone vote on every issue electronically.

Have you tried to come to a decision about where to go for a meal with friends? Giving people a say in every/anything is asking for trouble and indecision.

What I'm point out is the pound was already considered by many to be overvalued and at risk to a significant fall. Brexit is the trigger but not the sole cause in people's valuation of the currency. The uncertainty causes the sudden movement but the long term position reveals much more about the true basis. Also not much being mention about how what a weak pound means for exports and manufacturing sector growth.

Imo, Scotland were already leaving nothing we can do about that, other than doing everything they want for ever we can't stop them asking for a referendum every few year which just isn't possible. Still think they will have issues like last time about EU membership terms, currency and now the issue of a solid border too. Scotland are probably in the awkward position of getting an economic squeeze regardless of what they do. The NI Sec said on TV she was against anything for NI leaving or even a Scottish IndyRef so that is probably not as serious a possibility.

The reaction of both political camps has been amusing. Its more just a subset of people who seem to enjoy talking about how irrelevant Britain and now we are seeing how markets globally are been affected by, what is actually nothing. We haven't even invoked article 50 yet. Seems at odds with that view.

Saw this
"Live scenes from the channel tunnel"
@swirly

Thoughts on moving to America to become an NBA star with Jam?

Will do some stretching first to reach 6 ft 8
Lol it's just morning and the pound is now 1.37 dollars. Any american who is moving to England is going to get their money's worth.

****ing slimy immigrants
Best meme so far

Fury - Klitscho postponed. He's pulling a David Haye @Rk2k14
Original post by Fizzel
Its pathetic though isn't it? The attitude that Europe cannot possibly allow another model to succeed for fear of other realising an alternative may be preferable. Isn't that the exact view of Europe that Farage is pushing? An entity so undemocratic and self preserving that it will seek to preserve itself at the expense of the improvement of Europe. At a time where the continent is economically stagnating and facing military threats in the East and via terrorism domestically, Europe is going to turn its back on the 6th largest economy, one of the biggest military powers in the region and one of the most advances intelligence structures in the world. All to make a point.

I don't really see why Remain supports are so worried anything. Surely without the UK dragging its heels the EU is going to glide towards its envisioned future and we can just re-join (minus all our opt outs) in 10-15 years anyway.

Why is that pathetic? If the UK can vote to leave to protect it's own interest, why can't the rest of the EU decide their own behaviour to protect their own interests?

I think the position is - "you voted to leave so you have to leave. The UK can't have it's cake and eat it by leaving but still getting all of the benefits without the compromises the rest of us have to make". I think it's entirely justified.

Well the EU will make its own decisions as to how to tackle the EU economy, military threats and terrorism - the UK voted that they didn't want to be a part of that process.
Original post by atom y humber
Have you tried to come to a decision about where to go for a meal with friends? Giving people a say in every/anything is asking for trouble and indecision.

Have you ever let your other friends decide where they are going to go to dinner together and then make up your own decision by yourself?

You still get dragged to where the others decided but just without the input on the decision.
Reply 5915
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Fury - Klitscho postponed. He's pulling a David Haye @Rk2k14

Ffs man. This sh*t always happens when it comes to big fights.
Original post by Rk2k14
Ffs man. This sh*t always happens when it comes to big fights.

that weekend was supposed to be sick with this and McGregor v Diaz at UFC200, gonna be a bit sh*t now.
Reply 5917
Original post by Jimmy Seville
that weekend was supposed to be sick with this and McGregor v Diaz at UFC200, gonna be a bit sh*t now.

Djokovic will probably get an injury and Wimbledon will turn to **** too.
Reply 5918
When Boris Johnson becomes PM
Original post by Zerforax
Why is that pathetic? If the UK can vote to leave to protect it's own interest, why can't the rest of the EU decide their own behaviour to protect their own interests?
I don't think it is in their interests to block economic integration upon the basis of the rejection of political integration. That is what they are going to be doing. If the EU is turning its back on the UK on an economic level that is not in the interests of its member states many of whom trade back and forth with the UK and are struggling for economic growth.

I think the position is - "you voted to leave so you have to leave. The UK can't have it's cake and eat it by leaving but still getting all of the benefits without the compromises the rest of us have to make". I think it's entirely justified.
The point being made is those compromises do not need to be made. Why can you not have single market access without freedom of movement for example? Membership of the European political projected should be based upon the merits of that project not as some kind of mandatory 'compromise' that must come if you want the actual good stuff. The EU political project, if worthwhile, should be able to be sold as a separate product.

Well the EU will make its own decisions as to how to tackle the EU economy, military threats and terrorism - the UK voted that they didn't want to be a part of that process.
Well they didn't vote that did they, they voted they didn't want that on current terms not that they didn't want to be a part of the process. Anymore than the UK didn't want to be part of the EU because they didn't join the Eurozone.

The correct attitude should be that it doesn't matter whether the UK signs up for a pure trade agreement because our member states will remain committed to this project because they see its value aside from simple economics, and its the UK which is losing out on the full experience.

If that is not the case, you're knowingly selling a failed dream because its easier than accepting the reality that part of the project isn't working in its current state.

Latest