The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

How come the boundaries for June 2015 IAL are so low? 60 for an A* and 66 for full ums. It seems pretty standard to me. Are the grade boundaries much lower now than they were before?
Reply 441
Original post by target21859
How come the boundaries for June 2015 IAL are so low? 60 for an A* and 66 for full ums. It seems pretty standard to me. Are the grade boundaries much lower now than they were before?

Pretty much. Last year's home FP3 paper had low grade boundaries due to a very tough coordinate systems question at the end. The main method in the mark scheme isn't even on the spec (sum of roots). And solving it with the factor formulae was very difficult algebraically. Hence why the grade boundaries were lowered so much (53 = A).

They like to play around with FP3, so be prepared for anything IMO. But don't count on low boundaries this year. It's unpredictable. Some years they're high (boundaries and examiners it seems), some years they're really low.
Reply 442
Original post by oinkk
and examiners it seems

:rofl:

Perhaps it was the fatigue from S2? As an IAL candidate I'm personally tired as crap so that might probably be affecting candidates :dontknow:
Original post by oinkk
Pretty much. Last year's home FP3 paper had low grade boundaries due to a very tough coordinate systems question at the end. The main method in the mark scheme isn't even on the spec (sum of roots). And solving it with the factor formulae was very difficult algebraically. Hence why the grade boundaries were lowered so much (53 = A).

They like to play around with FP3, so be prepared for anything IMO. But don't count on low boundaries this year. It's unpredictable. Some years they're high (boundaries and examiners it seems), some years they're really low.

I was talking about the international version. I can see why last year's paper was hard :biggrin:. Tbh I think I only need about 80 ums in fp3 or s2 to get the A* in further maths so I'm not too worried.
Original post by Ayman!
:rofl:

Perhaps it was the fatigue from S2? As an IAL candidate I'm personally tired as crap so that might probably be affecting candidates :dontknow:

Yeah S2 and FP3 on the same day is going to be horrible but it can't be as bad as M2 and D1 a few weeks ago.
So is everyone actually proper ready for FP3. Physics unit 5 is the day after and I literally don't know any of it :/

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Hi,

Has anybody got some good revision notes for FP3?
Original post by CALI1198
So is everyone actually proper ready for FP3. Physics unit 5 is the day after and I literally don't know any of it :/

I think I'm ready for FP3 but not unit 5. I haven't started as well :biggrin:
Original post by ludmila
Hi,

Has anybody got some good revision notes for FP3?

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/FP3.pdf
I think I'm ready for FP3 but not unit 5. I haven't started as well :biggrin:

I'm not ready for either awks.

Motivation rn is come on, last two!

I did this a while back just as a guide on what papers to do. Ignore 07&08, I forgot they were the old spec

(edited 7 years ago)

I did this a while back just as a guide on what papers to do

Wow that June 2012 70 for an A* :biggrin:
Wow that June 2012 70 for an A* :biggrin:

I'm praying its not that high this year. I only really need the A but still was pushing for the A*

I'm praying its not that high this year. I only really need the A but still was pushing for the A*

I'm just hoping for a paper like June 2015 IAL standard paper but low grade boundaries.
Do we need to know about invariant lines and proofs for linear transformations?
to someone whos done all pp, whats been the hardest topic generally?

also im doing all questions from old spec on physicsmathstutor and to anyone else whos done them, can you comment if the questions from previous years have been easier or harder than old spec ones?
(edited 7 years ago)
Question 7, b June 2014 Normal paper,

Why the answer gives 4pir^2, should it not be 2pir^2, as it is rotated only through pi radians about the x-axis. So the formula used should be pi... instead of 2pi...?

Thanks in advance
Reply 457
How is everybody understanding vectors?

Perpendicular distance from point to plane? How did you guys revise that?

Two skew lines?

Really needing all the help the internet can offer right now!
Original post by Geraer100
Question 7, b June 2014 Normal paper,

Why the answer gives 4pir^2, should it not be 2pir^2, as it is rotated only through pi radians about the x-axis. So the formula used should be pi... instead of 2pi...?

Thanks in advance

The circle only needs to be rotated through pi radians since the top half rotates as the bottom half does so each sector rotates through pi radians. I hope that makes sense. If you rotated it through 2pi radians you would be going over the exact same area twice so your value for the area would be doubled.
The circle only needs to be rotated through pi radians since the top half rotates as the bottom half does so each sector rotates through pi radians. I hope that makes sense. If you rotated it through 2pi radians you would be going over the exact same area twice so your value for the area would be doubled.

please explain again please, if you dont mind, sorry to bother

Quick Reply

Latest