The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecconomist
How do they do the C3 UMS?? Do they combine your coursework and exam raw mark to get a score out of 90? I got 16/18 and ~ 72/72 I think so what would that get me?

Thank you!

Probably a low C
Original post by BriO
To illustrateUntitled.jpg
the reason you take it from 90.

Original post by Maliha01
You are definitely right ... a qs like this came up in june 2010. For those who didnt subtract by 90 like my self lose one mark

I'm not so sure. The question you're quoting is between the normal of a plane and another vector, rather than a vector and a plane.
January 2013 has a question wherein you find the angle between a vector and the horizontal plane, and this requires you to subtract your calculation from 180.

I'm not certain, because neither of our questions are perfectly analogous with the one in today's paper, but arguably the latter is more alike.
Either way, whoever's wrong will still get the Lion's share of the marks for said question, so s'all good.

(Myself and ComputerMaths got theta = 57 degrees).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Yeah, raw mark out of 90 then summed up.

You'll get anywhere from 96 - 100 UMS, but most likely 100 UMS.

Thanks mate are you sure about this, ie how they do it?
Original post by WhiteBison
I'm not so sure. The question you're quoting is between the normal of a plane and another vector, rather than a vector and a plane.
January 2013 has a question wherein you find the angle between a vector and the horizontal plane, and this requires you to subtract your calculation from 180.

I'm not certain, because neither of our questions are perfectly analogous with the one in today's paper, but arguably the latter is more alike.
Either way, whoever's wrong will still get the Lion's share of the marks for said question, so s'all good.

(Myself and ComputerMaths got theta = 57 degrees).

I got 57 from 180 - 123 or something, is this right?
I got 57 from 180 - 123 or something, is this right?

That's what we're trying to establish. That's what I and some others did, but others still did it another way. So who knows. :tongue:
Thanks mate are you sure about this, ie how they do it?

Yes, here this website proves it:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/

Has them all out of 90
That's what we're trying to establish. That's what I and some others did, but others still did it another way. So who knows. :tongue:

Pretty sure I've seen it done like our way before on another paper, oh well haha
did anyone get 87ish for height AC?

Check june 10, 7iv. I think they take it off the 90. I did the same today hope its right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 229
Wasn't the prettiest exam, hoping for full marks on comprehension tho

Anyone got some predicted grade boundaries?
Original post by HFancy1997
Check june 10, 7iv. I think they take it off the 90. I did the same today hope its right

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I've said mate, there are some quite similar questions that subtract from 180 and as of now I think that that was the way to go, but we could be wrong and that'd be just fine. I don't think either of us have cause to worry because you have to have gained the majority of the marks just to be in the position to get either answer. <3
As I've said mate, there are some quite similar questions that subtract from 180 and as of now I think that that was the way to go, but we could be wrong and that'd be just fine. I don't think either of us have cause to worry because you have to have gained the majority of the marks just to be in the position to get either answer. <3

True, what grade you hoping for? A* I assume?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HFancy1997
True, what grade you hoping for? A* I assume?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's the hope! I think C3 and S2 both went quite well for me this year, so were C4 sub-optimal, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but hopefully that won't be the case.
It'd be nice to meet the 90% spec for all three though. Let the no-life flow through you etc. ;D
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out some kind of predicted grade as i'm really lost as to what to expect in August:/ last year i got a mid B in C1 and S1, and a C in C2. I resat C2 this year and think i got a high B or an A. In terms of marks this year i got 11/18 in C3 coursework, and my guesses for D1, C3 and C4 are around 58/72, 52/72 and 59/90. I know this is a bit much to ask but i'm really worried about it so any help would be great :/
Original post by lilylover
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out some kind of predicted grade as i'm really lost as to what to expect in August:/ last year i got a mid B in C1 and S1, and a C in C2. I resat C2 this year and think i got a high B or an A. In terms of marks this year i got 11/18 in C3 coursework, and my guesses for D1, C3 and C4 are around 58/72, 52/72 and 59/90. I know this is a bit much to ask but i'm really worried about it so any help would be great :/

Admittedly this is a *very rough* guesstimate because I really should be working right now, but looking at the grade boundaries you'll be looking at a low A in D1, a mid-to-high C in C3, and a middling C in C4 (though note, C4 varies a lot. Some years that would be a B, others, a D).

So very roughly, we're looking at (UMS) 75 + 75 + 78 + 80 + 68 + 65 = 441
This is out of 600 so this would bring you to 73.5 overall; a middling B. Not bad, no sir.

You'll want to focus on C3 and C4 if you want to solidify this, or even bring it up, but there doesn't seem to be too much to worry about mate. :awesome:

Edit: http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/
This will tell you what exam required how many marks for a given grade on a year by year basis. It may be of use to you. Good luck. o7
Admittedly this is a *very rough* guesstimate because I really should be working right now, but looking at the grade boundaries you'll be looking at a low A in D1, a mid-to-high C in C3, and a middling C in C4 (though note, C4 varies a lot. Some years that would be a B, others, a D).

So very roughly, we're looking at (UMS) 75 + 75 + 78 + 80 + 68 + 65 = 441
This is out of 600 so this would bring you to 73.5 overall; a middling B. Not bad, no sir.

You'll want to focus on C3 and C4 if you want to solidify this, or even bring it up, but there doesn't seem to be too much to worry about mate. :awesome:

Edit: http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/
This will tell you what exam required how many marks for a given grade on a year by year basis. It may be of use to you. Good luck. o7

Thanks man, i'm hoping for a B so that's good:')
Original post by lilylover
Thanks man, i'm hoping for a B so that's good:':wink:

Noproblemoo
For the question in the comprehension asking to show how they got 12, did anyone get 11.91?
For the 12m q as long as u show it does the method matter cos i did it differently and got 11.88
Reply 239
Just googled 'finding angle between plane and line' Skip to the end of the video. You are however right that this will at most cost like a single mark. Since you were right at the answer and literally a single step away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlGNSuKXD6c

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending