The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2016 - Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretlyanon
guys

What do you think 64 in C3 and roughly 65-67 in C4 would add upto in UMS?

erm probably like 178...
Reply 381
Does anyone know how many marks I'd lose on question for finding the angle instead of value of cos theta)(which I got as 0.8). Also how many would I lose for writing the area as 2.40 instead of 2.4
Does anybody remember the marks for each question ?
Original post by mk_98
Sorry but people on student room who are exceptionally clever saying it was easy, does not mean low grade boundaries. It was easier than last year but not the extent it would be 72 for an A*. Imagine it'll be 68-70

First, I am not that super clever. I flopped C3, expect to have dropped around 20 marks on it and maybe even get a C in it lmao. This was genuinely ALOT easier, not just in my opinion but the general consensus is. Many more people than normal would have got very high scores on today's paper. I myself am highly surprised to realise I have gotten all the answers correct, probably even got 100ums on this, which is shocking considering I was fearing I might get a C or D on this paper the night before (considering how bad C3 went).😵

And I do not do Further Maths by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
For 7.b) I got λ=16. I don't know how to get 8. I know I'm wrong. It was the integral of sqrt(x/(4-x)) between 0 and 3 with x =4(sinθ)^2, right?
you know for the implicit differentiation question part (b) i got the right gradient but then found the incorrect normal , i used -(22+pi)/8 and followed it through, so i got the right gradient but the wrong normal and subsequently the wrong values for a,b,c,d. What marks would i get if any?
Reply 386
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
First, I am not that super clever. I flopped C3, expect to have dropped around 20 marks on it and maybe even get a C in it lmao. This was genuinely ALOT easier, not just in my opinion but the general consensus is. Many more people than normal would have got very high scores on today's paper. I myself am highly surprised to realise I have gotten all the answers correct, probably even got 100ums on this, which is shocking considering I was fearing I might get a C or D on this paper the night before (considering how bad C3 went).😵

Just because it was easier than C3 does not mean it will be 69 for an A lol. The volumes of revolution question and the implicit differentiation, will have caught people out along with the last part of q8. The only time boundaries were than high was Jan 11, when every question was easy. I should know seeing as it was the only past paper I got over 70 in, (74).
Original post by Secretlyanon
guys

What do you think 64 in C3 and roughly 65-67 in C4 would add upto in UMS?

170 maybe. Purely a guess.
What was question 5
Original post by MattyD1998
On the vectors question for the equation of l2, I put a multiple of (5,-4,3) in the direction part. I wrote (10,-8,6). Is this correct? I'm sure for parallel lines, the direction vectors only have to be multiples of each other, not necessarily the same?

term well technically you're not meant to say what the multiple is and just put alpha... but if you've substituted in your own multiple then they'd have to give you the marks I think .. i wouldn't worry too much
Reply 390

I made the following errors:

On 6)d) I forgot to multiply my answer through by 8 and I also accidentally wrote that sin(2pi/3)=1/2 instead of root3/2.
On 7)b) I calculated the volume beneath the curve to be 1024pi/5. I also calculated that the small cylinder between x=0 and x=1/2 would have volume 32pi - I then added these volumes together to obtain my final answer.
On 8)e) I accidentally put the wrong coordinates in the wrong vectors - ie, all my working was correct but my final answers were (3, 33/5, 16/5) and (-1, 17/5 and 4/5).

I need an A in this paper as I got 100UMS in C3 last year and I need an A* grade. Could somebody estimate how many marks I will have lost and whether this will be an A or not please? Thank you

Original post by mk_98
Just because it was easier than C3 does not mean it will be 69 for an A lol. The volumes of revolution question and the implicit differentiation, will have caught people out along with the last part of q8. The only time boundaries were than high was Jan 11, when every question was easy. I should know seeing as it was the only past paper I got over 70 in, (74).

I agree here, there were tricky questions on this paper for sure so i wouldn't class it was easy !
Original post by bcc97

I made the following errors:

On 6)d) I forgot to multiply my answer through by 8 and I also accidentally wrote that sin(2pi/3)=1/2 instead of root3/2.
On 7)b) I calculated the volume beneath the curve to be 1024pi/5. I also calculated that the small cylinder between x=0 and x=1/2 would have volume 32pi - I then added these volumes together to obtain my final answer.
On 8)e) I accidentally put the wrong coordinates in the wrong vectors - ie, all my working was correct but my final answers were (3, 33/5, 16/5) and (-1, 17/5 and 4/5).

I need an A in this paper as I got 100UMS in C3 last year and I need an A* grade. Could somebody estimate how many marks I will have lost and whether this will be an A or not please? Thank you

these seem very minor mistakes and i doubt you've lost more than 8 marks or so max.. I'm pretty sure you're gonna get an A.

can i ask whether you're retaking other subjects as well, as I'm tempted to retake c3 now that i know I've done really well in c4
How many ums do you think 64/65 would be?
Original post by Mattematics
Pretty sure every answer is now correct. Enjoy :smile:

Question 1:

Spoiler

Question 2:

Spoiler

Question 3:

Spoiler

Question 4:

Spoiler

Question 5:

Spoiler

Question 6:

Spoiler

Question 7:

Spoiler

Question 8:

Spoiler

Thank you for the answers.
Would you be kind to post a PDFs of the full solutions?
I suggest everyone looks at the jan 2011 paper as i you compare this to todays then you can't possibly say the grade boundaries will be similar...
Original post by chloeabeki
How many ums do you think 64/65 would be?

85-86
You people omg...This paper was exponentially easier than C3 looool. Nothing was not doable, 1 or 2 questions did require that tad bit more thinking but that doesn't by default mean the boundaries will go down by several marks!

Anyways enough me bragging here got Physics exam on Tuesday, oh joy.
Time to unsubscribe from this thread:tongue:
Reply 398
Original post by fefssdf
these seem very minor mistakes and i doubt you've lost more than 8 marks or so max.. I'm pretty sure you're gonna get an A.

can i ask whether you're retaking other subjects as well, as I'm tempted to retake c3 now that i know I've done really well in c4

Cheers, just with people here saying it'll be like 68/69 for an A I'm worried I won't make it

I'm not retaking anything, I do further maths so we did C3 last year and C4 this year along with A2 further maths modules. However I have some friends who resat C3 this year having got like Ds and Es last year and all of them seemed to think it was much easier after an extra year despite the consensus being that it was a difficult paper, so if you get a grade you're not happy with it probably is worth it :smile:
Original post by bcc97
Cheers, just with people here saying it'll be like 68/69 for an A I'm worried I won't make it

I'm not retaking anything, I do further maths so we did C3 last year and C4 this year along with A2 further maths modules. However I have some friends who resat C3 this year having got like Ds and Es last year and all of them seemed to think it was much easier after an extra year despite the consensus being that it was a difficult paper, so if you get a grade you're not happy with it probably is worth it :smile:

yeh same i am concerned about peoples opinions of this paper, but I think we need to bare in mind that the highest boundaries ever for c4 were in jan 2011 when it was 67 for an A and that paper was significantly easier compared to today's one so i can't see it being higher than that... I think it will go up but honestly i can't see it being above maybe 64 for an A which still seems unlikely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending