The Student Room Group

Summer Support and Jobs

Hey everyone,

Currently about to move back home with my grandad who lives alone after my first year at uni.

He doesn't have any savings and just gets a standard pension and cannot support me without some help.

I've been applying for jobs, however, I've had no luck.

I was wondering if there is any sort of help I can claim while I continue looking? I worked part time while I was at Uni but only in a pub because I needed to so I could survive but my uni offers no summer support and I'm going to be in a very bad situation when I get home.

Unless I find a job I'm probably not even going to be able to buy food and the council is already threatening my grandfather with cutting off the help he gets for his electric and other essenitals.

Is there any sort of support from the council or government I can get while I'm home for the summer?

Sorry if this is the wrong section I wasn't quite 100% sure.
There's no support for students over the summer. Has your granddad had a benefits check, to see if he's claiming everything he's entitled to?
If you have the maintenance loan/grant, then the final payment (i.e. for term 3) should be slightly higher to cover the summer.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
There's no support for students over the summer. Has your granddad had a benefits check, to see if he's claiming everything he's entitled to?

There's no sort of support from the government at all? He has yeah. (long story short), I had to move with him, he went to check if he was claiming everything and they tried to cut what he was claiming down and tried to get him by saying I was living here and it doesn't matter if I'm away in my own accomdation for uni as I'd be moving back, he had to talk to our local MP to sort it out because they actually cut it. Got resolved though. Infact, he's very likely they're going to cut it even more while I'm here during the summer as there's 2 adults here now, that's the main reason I was seeking if I could assist him by claiming something.

I must say I'm very surprised there's no support at all. How would I eat or house myself if I wasn't lucky enough to be here? Surley there's something while I'm still looking for jobs?

Original post by subject1
If you have the maintenance loan/grant, then the final payment (i.e. for term 3) should be slightly higher to cover the summer.

Nope, an extra 30 pound? Not even a small shop.
Original post by Lukepo
There's no sort of support from the government at all? He has yeah. (long story short), I had to move with him, he went to check if he was claiming everything and they tried to cut what he was claiming down and tried to get him by saying I was living here and it doesn't matter if I'm away in my own accomdation for uni as I'd be moving back, he had to talk to our local MP to sort it out because they actually cut it. Got resolved though. Infact, he's very likely they're going to cut it even more while I'm here during the summer as there's 2 adults here now, that's the main reason I was seeking if I could assist him by claiming something.

I must say I'm very surprised there's no support at all. How would I eat or house myself if I wasn't lucky enough to be here? Surley there's something while I'm still looking for jobs?

Nope, an extra 30 pound? Not even a small shop.

You aren't able to claim benefits and support from the government over the summer because you are still technically a full-time student (despite not studying obviously).

As I said, the funding from student finance is meant to cover your summer expenses, so this is seen as the 'support' for full-time students over the summer.

Perhaps non-profits would be one way to get some support?
Reply 5
Original post by subject1
You aren't able to claim benefits and support from the government over the summer because you are still technically a full-time student (despite not studying obviously).

As I said, the funding from student finance is meant to cover your summer expenses, so this is seen as the 'support' for full-time students over the summer.

Perhaps non-profits would be one way to get some support?

Well, the accomodation I had wasn't expensive and the grant hardly covered it with about 100 pound to last me months. The last loan was only an extra 30 pound which isn't going to help me at all.

If that's the case then that's madness. What is non-profits? I Googled it and I'm still sure what you mean, sorry.
Reply 6
Basically there are two sides to this

1) your situation as a student: now you are not entitled to benefits as a full time student (which includes over the holidays unless you have children of your own). Your loan is meant to last you over summer - How much loan and/or grant did you get? It sounds like either you didn't get as much as you should do or you are very bad at budgeting seeing as you had a part time job too, which should have enabled you to get some savings. Surely you knew you would be in this position? The university may have a hardship fund you can apply to, you would need to contact their funding team.

2) Your grandad should seek advise from Age UK or CAB or something.

Those are your options - I would suggest personally that you get in contact with your uni first and explain the situation. Then CAB if nothing gets resolved.
The above posts are pretty much spot on. Your loan is a bit higher over the summer to ensure you have some money to see you through. Full time students (with a few exceptions) aren't entitled to benefits.
Reply 8
Original post by Jenx301
Basically there are two sides to this

1) your situation as a student: now you are not entitled to benefits as a full time student (which includes over the holidays unless you have children of your own). Your loan is meant to last you over summer - How much loan and/or grant did you get? It sounds like either you didn't get as much as you should do or you are very bad at budgeting seeing as you had a part time job too, which should have enabled you to get some savings. Surely you knew you would be in this position? The university may have a hardship fund you can apply to, you would need to contact their funding team.

2) Your grandad should seek advise from Age UK or CAB or something.

Those are your options - I would suggest personally that you get in contact with your uni first and explain the situation. Then CAB if nothing gets resolved.

The loan I got paid my accomodation with a 120 pound extra to last between each of the 3 loan periods. The final loan left me with 150. Certainly not enough to last the entire summer. The university doesn't offer a hardship fund too.

I guess I'll try and contact the citizens advice.
Original post by Lukepo
Well, the accomodation I had wasn't expensive and the grant hardly covered it with about 100 pound to last me months. The last loan was only an extra 30 pound which isn't going to help me at all.

If that's the case then that's madness. What is non-profits? I Googled it and I'm still sure what you mean, sorry.

Non-profit organisations. If you are honestly struggling to make ends meet they can offer some support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending