The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
No, you see those sufficiently concerned about this outcome to sign a petition that sadly is never going to succeed are trying to not be stranded in a country inhabited by intolerant people.

It is the leave voters stuck with intolerant people, if people disagree it is because of racism, xenophobia etc.
Original post by joecphillips
It is the leave voters stuck with intolerant people, if people disagree it is because of racism, xenophobia etc.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I just have a thing against the above average level of racism that Leave voters collectively display.

I don't mind that on average they are less educated, older, more rural and English. But the racism bit isn't great.
Original post by OmarAl
No legitimate reason? In the 6 hours that Britain has left the EU, the pound has dropped 10% compared to the dollar, the worlds stock market has been damaged, our PM resigned, Nigel Farages promise of the money hat was spent on the EU which would go towards the NHS was a lie and the list goes on.

How is there not a legitimate reason for another referendum?

You don't screw over the majority because it's bad for a few weeks, do you honestly think a few hours which considering remain banged on about the short term implications was not unknown.
Original post by Midgeymoo17
As I have pointed out above due to the nature of the whether in the South East and flooding on the mainline out of Waterloo- the claim leave won fair and square is more debatable than it should be.

Yes leave cheated they did a rain dance and it won them the referendum.
Original post by rockrunride
A system where the informed make informed choices

So take the vote away from people? Should we give the queen all the power she is informed?
Original post by offhegoes
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I just have a thing against the above average level of racism that Leave voters collectively display.

I don't mind that on average they are less educated, older, more rural and English. But the racism bit isn't great.

It's not racism to be concerned about the problems uncontrolled immigration causes just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it doesn't cause problems.
Yes leave cheated they did a rain dance and it won them the referendum.

I never said they cheated but just cause they did not cheat does not mean it was fair democratic result- so loose the sarcasm. It is fuelling the increasingly annoying stereotype that those who either Brexit on this thread or criticising the petition do not have the intellectual capability to think critically (in some cases read).
(edited 7 years ago)
"I could not consent to the introduction into our national life of a device so alien to all our traditions as the referendum, which has only too often been the instrument of Nazism and fascism."

-- Clement Attlee, speaking in 1945.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"I could not consent to the introduction into our national life of a device so alien to all our traditions as the referendum, which has only too often been the instrument of Nazism and fascism."

-- Clement Attlee, speaking in 1945.

''Voting is fascism because other people might vote for things I don't agree with''
Original post by Midgeymoo17
I never said they cheated but just cause they did not cheat does not mean it was fair democratic result- so loose the sarcasm.

I'll lose the sarcasm when people stop saying that people shouldn't be allowed to vote, calling everyone who voted to leave racist and accepts in a democracy you don't always get your own way.
Oh it didnt work the way I wanted, better start another 50 petitions until the desired result is achieved. Wish exams worked that way.
It's not racism to be concerned about the problems uncontrolled immigration causes just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it doesn't cause problems.

I didn't say it was. Doesn't change my viewpoint.
If people truly believe in democracy they will push for this petition
What's better?

You sound like you don't believe in democracy
Original post by jessyjellytot14
There should be a petition for fair age limits. If people below the age of 18 cannot vote, then why is it that people aged 65+ are allowed to vote for something that will affect a future they won't even be a part of for much longer?

So you'd ban some of the most experienced individuals in society from voting? Men & women who have often fought for their country, paid taxes & worked their whole lives. Whereas most 16-21 year olds are still a drain on society at that point in their lives.

Sound logic.

Maybe we should just make euthanasia mandatory & kill off all pensioners as they're draining the NHS & care systems too?
Original post by Manchester_123
You sound like you don't believe in democracy

I do believe in democracy, although it isn't perfect it's the best available system.

I was asking someone who dislikes it.
I'll lose the sarcasm when people stop saying that people shouldn't be allowed to vote, calling everyone who voted to leave racist and accepts in a democracy you don't always get your own way.

I never called anyone racist. I criticised people who ridiculed the petition and rightly so as the petition was created nearly two months before the result- but clearly most people on here who voted leave were incapable of reading the date or understanding what it was asking for. The petition was actually asking for Government to consider how representative the result is likely to be and to apply the same conditions to both sides. The incident in the South East, however, made the request of this petition more significant.

Now to the comment you made about not always getting your own way. Of all people I probably someone who understands this most as life has dealt me more than my fair share of challenges. So remember the phrase do not judge a book by its cover.
Imma defo sign this...
I think the voters made mistakes...
Leave cheated, they said stuff to do with £350 mill/bill on NHS but never did it.
Fear mongering was involved with Turkey joining and Leave making posters...
Why have another referendum? The majority of people won't change their votes, it will just be the minority of leave voters who have bottled it today and listened to media about how terrible it is. We can't be certain with what's going to happen in the future so people need to stop assuming its going to be terrible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending