The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Further Maths Calculator Paper (Paper 2) Unofficial Mark scheme

I will post all the answers that I can remember; I can almost guarantee the answers I do remember are right. If you can remember any other answers that I have missed, post them below - so that I can change them. If you remember the question but do not know the answer, ask me, and I will give you the precise working-out as well as the answer. Here are the ones I do remember:

First question:
(1/2)*5*6=15

Estimate solutions from graph:
-0.8, 4.8

Factorisation:
(x-2)/(x+3)

Find P, a point located in a 3:5 ration on the line DE:
(4.5, 5.875)

Always true/Sometimes True/Never true:
Always, Sometimes, Never, Sometimes

Quadratic Sequence:
a)2n+5
b)6n^2+13n-5

Find the angle x in a cyclical quadrilateral:
37.5 degrees

Prove that x=3n:
360-(180-n)-2n=180-3n --> alternate angles are equal; 180-(180-3n)=3n=x

The tany=(p+1)/(p-1) question:
a) y>45; using limits - the limit of (p+1)/(p-1) as p goes to infinity is 1, which is the arctan of 45.
b) (p+1)/sqrt[(2p^2)-2]; you express tany in terms of siny/cosy, then square both sides of the equation and substitute (1-sin^2y) into (cos^2y); get the rid of the denominators, expand the brackets and simplify, eventually solving for siny to get the final answer

Making x the subject of the formula:
x=8w/y+8

2/5 sqrt(x)=1:

3D Pyramid:
36.86 degrees

Sketch the graph when there are two stationary points:
You should have got something like this:
curve.png

Find x/y when the volume of a cylinder is equal to the volume of a hemisphere:

Work out f(x-1)-f(x):
1/(2x+3)(2x+1)

Matrix transformation 5-marker:
The first two matrices are:
(3 0)
(0 3)
and
(-1 0)
(0 -1)
When multiplied together, they give the matrix
(-3 0)
(0 -3)
This is enlargement by the scale factor of -3, as any two coordinates x and y, when this matrix is multiplied by the coordinates, are transformed into -3x and -3y (Show the multiplication).
To show the transformation is about the origin, state that the origin has the coordinates (0,0), so the enlargement by scale factor -3 about the origin would be:
(0)+(-3 0)
(0) (0 -3),
which is the matrix derived above

Simultaneous equations (DO NOT use trial and improvement) 6-marker:
2.77 and 1.23

Tangent and x^3 graph 5-marker (Find the length of CD):
32 units

Last question:
a)sin^2(x - 3cos^2(x)= sin^2(x) - 3(1-sin^2(x))= sin^2(x) - 3 + 3sin^2(x)=4sin^2(x)-3
b)4sin^2(x)-3=0; 4sin^2(x)=3; sin^2(x)=3/4; sin(x)=sqrt(3)/2 or sin(x)=-sqrt(3)/2; the answers are then: 60, 120 (180-60), 240 (180--60), and 300 (360-60)
Reply 1
I got 24 or 43 for the tan question
Looks like you got it all right
As far as I can remember at least

What do you think you got OP?
Original post by Year11Struggles
Looks like you got it all right
As far as I can remember at least

What do you think you got OP?

OP? As in, "What do you think you got - OP?" Or as in, "What did you get for OP"?
Original post by Himtiaz
I got 24 or 43 for the tan question

Which one?
Original post by MathsMaxMapsMats
OP? As in, "What do you think you got - OP?" Or as in, "What did you get for OP"?

OP means original poster. Basically, what do you think you got.
Out of 105 and 175
OP means original poster. Basically, what do you think you got.
Out of 105 and 175
Oh. According to the mark scheme for the first paper, I got about 67 out 70. For this one, according to a mark scheme in another thread, I got all the answers right. However, I may still lose some method marks. I think I got about 100 out 105. What about you?
Oh. According to the mark scheme for the first paper, I got about 67 out 70. For this one, according to a mark scheme in another thread, I got all the answers right. However, I may still lose some method marks. I think I got about 100 out 105. What about you?

53 and 100
Hope I got that and can get a A**
53 and 100
Hope I got that and can get a A**

Hmmm... I don't know. I've been told you need 66 for non-calculator and 100 for calculator to just snatch an A**. Hopefully, the grade boundaries are going to be really low.

By the way, what do you mean by "Original post"? I didn't copy anything from anyone. These are my own answers.
Reply 9
Which one?

The square based pyramid
Original post by Himtiaz
The square based pyramid

Oh. A lot of people got that (42.8) - because they kept rounding up their answers as they went - but the correct answer is 37. Don't worry, though - you will still get full marks for that.
Oh. A lot of people got that (42.8) - because they kept rounding up their answers as they went - but the correct answer is 37. Don't worry, though - you will still get full marks for that.

however for that question wasnt it asking from plane vbd to plane abcd instead of angle vbd to plane abcd
what about the question where it asked for the coefficient of x? what was the value of p?
Original post by Angie DHK
what about the question where it asked for the coefficient of x? what was the value of p?
Oh, yeah. It was (-9).
Here is why, if anything:
(3x+4)(x^2+px+5)=...+4x^2+3px^2=...+x^2(4+3p); 4+3p=-23;3p=-27;p=-9
What about the tan y question what was the one mark?
Original post by Angie DHK
What about the tan y question what was the one mark?
I put it up in the original post: it's y>45, because the limit of x+1/x-1 as x goes to infinity is 1, and 1 is the arctan (reverse tan/tan to the -1) of 45.
Hmmm... I don't know. I've been told you need 66 for non-calculator and 100 for calculator to just snatch an A**. Hopefully, the grade boundaries are going to be really low.

By the way, what do you mean by "Original post"? I didn't copy anything from anyone. These are my own answers.

I got the A** so the 66 and 100 thing was probably wrong
I got the A** so the 66 and 100 thing was probably wrong

Maybe...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending