The Student Room Group

Further Maths Not Offered

I was told by my maths teacher (and also by many people online who have answered others' questions) that whilst A Level Further Maths was not a MUST for engineering courses - actually due to the fact that not all schools, eg. mine, offer it - it is very helpful if you want to get in.

Not enough people were interested in the course for it to run at my school. Will this severely affect my chances of getting into any engineering courses? If so, are there any ways I can up my chances?

(p.s. my choices now are physics, maths, biology and history.)

Thanks in advance!
Original post by hi_im_niamh
I was told by my maths teacher (and also by many people online who have answered others' questions) that whilst A Level Further Maths was not a MUST for engineering courses - actually due to the fact that not all schools, eg. mine, offer it - it is very helpful if you want to get in.

Not enough people were interested in the course for it to run at my school. Will this severely affect my chances of getting into any engineering courses? If so, are there any ways I can up my chances?

Thanks in advance!

:hello:

You're better off posting in the Engineering forum - I've asked for this to be moved there for you. :h:

As for how much it'll affect your application - I don't know.

One option could be to self study it, but I know that's a difficult task, and depends on how useful it'd be anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
:hello:

You're better off posting in the Engineering forum - I've asked for this to be moved there for you. :h:

As for how much it'll affect your application - I don't know.

One option could be to self study it, but I know that's a difficult task, and depends on how useful it'd be anyway.

Oh thanks, I was in a bit of a rush when asking and just picked the first relevant area (oops).

Thanks for answering; I'll keep researching and find out how much it'll affect my application. :smile:
Reply 3

Thanks in advance!

Self teach that's what I'm doing

Thanks in advance!

Universities do take into account whether or not your sixth from offers further maths or not when applying for math-y course. Otherwise it would just be unfair on students who, well, don't have access to further maths...

If you want to do further maths and are passionate about it, I don't see why you couldn't sit as a private candidate and teach yourself the syllabus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hjyu1
Self teach that's what I'm doing

I think I probably will. :thumbsup:
Reply 6
Original post by 34908seikj
Universities do take into account wether or not your sixth from offers further maths or not when applying for math-y course. Otherwise it would just be unfair on students who, well, don't have access to further maths...

I thought they probably would (since it would be a bit unfair otherwise). Thanks for answering. :smile:
If nothing else, self-teach AS FM. It's not very challenging (at least in relation to A2 maths), and from what I've heard from people doing engineering at uni having done FM has made the jump from A2 to 1st year a lot smaller
Reply 8
Original post by ChrisP97
If nothing else, self-teach AS FM. It's not very challenging (at least in relation to A2 maths), and from what I've heard from people doing engineering at uni having done FM has made the jump from A2 to 1st year a lot smaller

Yeah, I think that's the main reason universities want people to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest