The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Llewellyn
Easiest questions (imo) are 12, 7, 11, 1, 2, [4/5/8]

12 was definitely a gift. I wouldn't say 7 was easy (at least for me). 1 and 2 were both pretty accessible, and I'd say 3 was as well (as long as you realised you had to differentiate, rather than integrate).
Original post by physicsmaths
Yu freak. Chill for 1 day. Then start.

lol ok. Its just that Ive been waiting so long to be able to study all this stuff properly I cant wait to start :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
lol ok. Its just that Ive been waiting so long to be able to study all this stuff properly I cant wait to start :tongue:

Yeah, same. I just can't wait for Physics to be over on Tuesday and get started with some uni maths, haha. Do you know if Zacken or anyone else is gonna make a Tripos thread for during the summer?
Anyone wants to predict? Would be appreciated.

Q1: Full.
Q2: Did part (i) and found lines in part (ii) but not constant point.
Q3: Full. For the last part, I said that if Q(x) and the numerator have any common factors then since P(x) and Q(x) have no common factors Q(x) must share a common factor with Q'(x) and proved this (I think - is this even right) and hence Q(x)^2 must have degree 1 as in (1+x) but this doesn't make sense. Not so sure about that.
Q4: Full. For the infinite sum I got 4e^(-y)cosech(2y) + 2sech(y) which I think is right since it sum from 1 to infinity + sum from -infinity to -2 + the two values for 0 and (-1).
Q7: I did the bit in the beginning i.e. product of factors = z^n - 1
Q8: All but last part - I attempted it but didn't get it.

Thanks.
Original post by Insight314
Yeah, same. I just can't wait for Physics to be over on Tuesday and get started with some uni maths, haha. Do you know if Zacken or anyone else is gonna make a Tripos thread for during the summer?

yea I think he is, or atleast one of us will.
Original post by Llewellyn
I've just finished my 3 year degree, I am now going to do a masters at Cambridge. Hence, although I am good at some areas of maths, I have certainly lost my touch with some of this fast, fiddly STEP stuff. I'm certainly less qualified right now to make comments compared to the people who have been living and breathing this for the past year in preparation for the exam.

Ahh I see! All the best in Cam! :smile:

he said to me personally he'd do a summer of maths thread but after step he's being mardy and dunno if he will
@krollo wants to do number and sets and @physicsmaths wants to do analysis so dunno
Reply 2307
Original post by tridianprime
Anyone wants to predict? Would be appreciated.

Q1: Full.
Q2: Did part (i) and found lines in part (ii) but not constant point.
Q3: Full. For the last part, I said that if Q(x) and the numerator have any common factors then since P(x) and Q(x) have no common factors Q(x) must share a common factor with Q'(x) and proved this (I think - is this even right) and hence Q(x)^2 must have degree 1 as in (1+x) but this doesn't make sense. Not so sure about that.
Q4: Full. For the infinite sum I got 4e^(-y)cosech(2y) + 2sech(y) which I think is right since it sum from 1 to infinity + sum from -infinity to -2 + the two values for 0 and (-1).
Q7: I did the bit in the beginning i.e. product of factors = z^n - 1
Q8: All but last part - I attempted it but didn't get it.

Thanks.

20 + 8 + 16 + 19 + 3 + 15 = 81, safe 1, probably not an S.
Original post by Number Nine
he said to me personally he'd do a summer of maths thread but after step he's being mardy and dunno if he will
@krollo wants to do number and sets and @physicsmaths wants to do analysis so dunno

Krollo doing numbers and sets? I've got to see this. I expected him to do D&R or something of that sort, haha. I am doing Maths with Physics, so I am not even taking Numbers and Sets.

I plan to do numbers and sets, because I won't get to do that as a CompSci. Not gonna start the day after my last exam though, I think a few days rest are necessary.
Original post by Zacken
20 + 8 + 16 + 19 + 3 + 15 = 81, safe 1, probably not an S.

If I get that I will be over the moon. Now let us just hope it is legible.
Krollo doing numbers and sets? I've got to see this. I expected him to do D&R or something of that sort, haha. I am doing Maths with Physics, so I am not even taking Numbers and Sets.

he has ipho so he'l start around start of aug...d&r looks ew

Original post by sweeneyrod
I plan to do numbers and sets, because I won't get to do that as a CompSci. Not gonna start the day after my last exam though, I think a few days rest are necessary.

yeah should be fun fam
Reply 2312
I expect I'll start a ASoM thread once I've gotten over missing my offer and feeling generally stupid.
Original post by tridianprime
If I get that I will be over the moon. Now let us just hope it is legible.

Yeah I'm do scared the examiners willing be able to read my handwriting and will just assume I'm writing in some prehistoric script
he has ipho so he'l start around start of aug...d&r looks ew

yeah should be fun fam

Why so much hate on D&R? I am really excited for it, unfortunately Maths with Physics replaces D&R (and Numbers and Sets), but I think this is due to the fact I will be doing D&R under the Physics NatSci either way. I am most likely gonna start with V&M or Analysis I, DE, and then some Probability (I need this a lot since most of you lads have done stats modules and I haven't even touched stats since GCSE). I am mostly excited for the more physics courses though, so I am gonna see how much I can get through in 3 months.

Does anyone know where I can find the recommended reading list, and the respective courses, for the maths with physics option?
Could someone just give me an idea about my likelihood of making my offer. Offer A*A*A 1,1. Got an S in step 1, high 1 (75-90) in step 2, and 55-70ish in step 3 so borderline 1 / 2 . I have gotten 4A*s in my a levels and full ums in all of them bar one or two modules perhaps i.e. 600 FM. Will this mean I am still likely to get in with S,1,2 if that is what it turns out as?
Why so much hate on D&R? I am really excited for it, unfortunately Maths with Physics replaces D&R (and Numbers and Sets), but I think this is due to the fact I will be doing D&R under the Physics NatSci either way. I am most likely gonna start with V&M or Analysis I, DE, and then some Probability (I need this a lot since most of you lads have done stats modules and I haven't even touched stats since GCSE). I am mostly excited for the more physics courses though, so I am gonna see how much I can get through in 3 months.

Does anyone know where I can find the recommended reading list, and the respective courses, for the maths with physics option?

same as the reading list for maths and physics natsci just combine them
Original post by Zacken
I expect I'll start a ASoM thread once I've gotten over missing my offer and feeling generally stupid.

I feel like you really underestimate yourself m8. I really don't think you got a grade 2 in STEP II, but even if you did you still have over 80% chance of being accepted anyway.
Original post by maths52
Could someone just give me an idea about my likelihood of making my offer. Offer A*A*A 1,1. Got an S in step 1, high 1 (75-90) in step 2, and 55-70ish in step 3 so borderline 1 / 2 . I have gotten 4A*s in my a levels and full ums in all of them bar one or two modules perhaps i.e. 600 FM. Will this mean I am still likely to get in with S,1,2 if that is what it turns out as?

a level ums aint comparable to step iii tho so why bother

also seems lots of 1,2s get taken anyway so ignore upper comment
same as the reading list for maths and physics natsci just combine them

I know the maths courses that are replaced by the maths with physics option, but I don't know which physics courses I will be doing from the NatSci tripos.

Quick Reply