The Student Room Group

Why I, an 18 Year Old, Ex-Muslim voted leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YaliaV
Is Islam now a race? Gosh, you're so wise.

Islam is a race in the sense that Muslims come from a certain a specific race "Brown people, which are not technically a race, but you know what I mean" and you can't easily differentiate between Muslims and Non-Muslims from the same background. Thus any discrimination against Muslims will have to affect Christians, Ex-Muslims and other denominations from the usual Muslim backgrounds.
Original post by hafsa473
Why did you become an ex-muslim?

I became non-religious after figuring out that God probably doesn't exist, and that after we die, its ging to before we were born.

I became Ex-muslim when I found out that apostates are killed. It seems like the height of irrationality to me. Its a huge scam.
Original post by oShahpo
Islam is a race in the sense that Muslims come from a certain a specific race "Brown people, which are not technically a race, but you know what I mean" and you can't easily differentiate between Muslims and Non-Muslims from the same background. Thus any discrimination against Muslims will have to affect Christians, Ex-Muslims and other denominations from the usual Muslim backgrounds.

You do realise by that same argument every criticism of Nazism is racist.

Nazis don't seem physically distinguishable from ordinary white Europeans.
Why did you become an ex-muslim?

My doubts started when I was around 14/15. What I was observing in class, around the world and the opinions of my friends/teachers wasn't really adding up with Islam. When the teachers taught me about galileo and evolution etc, I felt a sense of anger. Obviously this was Christianity related but it then seeded doubt into my mind about religion. The more I learnt about life the more I started doubting Islam. Things just weren't adding up. It all started from there...

I guess it's environmental. I just feel sorry for people who are indoctrinated whilst at school, home and every other possible environment. The right way to go about it is hear all the opinions and make an informed decision.

What really put the nail in the coffin was when I heard that Iran don't teach evolution/natural selection etc. I always wondered to myself well if it's the word of god, why would they purposefully block out that bit of science to the whole population? Surely the "truth" can't be proven wrong.

Having said that whilst praying I couldn't speak arabic so 99% of the time i had no idea what I was saying, I just repeated after my parents until I learnt it... If I ever need anything these days I just use English translations.
Original post by IslamistheTruth
I became non-religious after figuring out that God probably doesn't exist, and that after we die, its ging to before we were born.

I became Ex-muslim when I found out that apostates are killed. It seems like the height of irrationality to me. Its a huge scam.

I hope you understand that that would've happened in the past, and now that times have changed, many muslims would never think of killing anyone, even a non muslim. However, that's your opinion and I respect that, eventhough there's already so much evidence that God does exist, especially in Islam, but again that's open to opinion.
Original post by oShahpo

All Muslims, especially Bin Laden
Original post by Hydeman
All the evidence contradicts that hope.

I'm being slightly satirical/mocking. :tongue: I know of that, of course, but I was trying to highlight the silliness of the person I was replying to being apparently unaware that there are reasons for Muslims not voting other than them being 'stupid and dumb', especially when this is being done with ignorance of another part of the faith, namely the prohibition of backbiting.

Your one anomalous example doesn't disprove the trend among Muslims, even British-born ones, to have extreme qualms with the idea of apostasy from Islam (they're notably okay with apostasy from other religions to Islam though).

I don`t get OP point.There no evidence that British muslims are more moderate,although to be fair almost all other muslims I have met have been moderate(Its only when I went to London I saw a difference).
EU has been a great defender of human rights,a Brexit govt would probably bend its ass over to appease many muslims when it comes to ex muslims,just look at the govt lack of action over other muslims hostility to ahmadiyyas .Why does OP think it will be any different now ?Sounds like wishful thinking.
I hope you understand that that would've happened in the past, and now that times have changed, many muslims would never think of killing anyone, even a non muslim. However, that's your opinion and I respect that, eventhough there's already so much evidence that God does exist, especially in Islam, but again that's open to opinion.

There is not an atom's worth of evidence for God's existence, least of all Allah's.

I wish that were true:

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7861/british-muslims-survey
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There is not an atom's worth of evidence for God's existence, least of all Allah's.

Although I agree.I think that the consequences of this belief are more worrisome than the belief itself. I don't think a theological discussion will save our society. I think the next step, is to reduce immigration considerably, and then make it a safe place for a real discussion about Islam to take place in this country,, without the threat of violence looming over our head.

Not thread topic related but do a quick google search. Many countries don't kill apostates so it seems we may move to reform this law altogether.

That article really annoys me, because we live in a society filled with islamaphobia and the government use propaganda and censor things to make people, like you, believe in what they want you to believe. And majority of this is from the older generation, not our generation.
Original post by Hydeman
Not trolling, just trying to make sure you don't fall into the trap of non-literalism and innovation. :rolleyes:
On a serious note, you should know that plenty of Muslims have fairly solid religious reasons for not voting in elections/referenda, though there is a difference of opinion on the matter. :tongue:

everyone has their own opinion, that's perfectly fine. However they shouldn't prevent other people from voting.
That article really annoys me, because we live in a society filled with islamaphobia and the government use propaganda and censor things to make people, like you, believe in what they want you to believe. And majority of this is from the older generation, not our generation.

Enough of this word.

Like what does that even mean, how do people in our modern day society show an irrational fear of Muslims?

How?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Do you have tunnel vision?
You do realise by that same argument every criticism of Nazism is racist.

Nazis don't seem physically distinguishable from ordinary white Europeans.

Well, that's pretty stupid, here's why.
First of all I did not say do not criticise Islam or even outlaw it, I said any mass discrimination against Muslims will affect non-Muslims from the same background.
Secondly, the argument instead of being extended to Nazism, could be extended to Communism, as we have past experience of that. There has been massive discrimination against Communism in the past, and only a fool would suggest that this discrimination did not affect ordinary Eastern European and Soviet individuals.
Thirdly, there is no way you can police thought, only actions. You can't tell people what to think and what to believe, we do not live in a dystopian novel. You can only police actions, anything else is unfair and discriminatory as there is absolutely no way you can tell what people think. Thus discrimination against individuals for being Muslims, i.e. for having certain thoughts, is bound to be based on physical traits, hence the racism bit.

If you want to fight the idea, that is Islam, that's perfectly fine. But you can't fight people for what they think or believe. Unless they commit a crime, you can't punish them. You can't tell people what to think, be it Nazism or Islamism, freedom of thought is a freedom we are supposed to stand for. It doesn't mean you can't be vigilant with certain people.

And in anyway, unless you guarantee that you will not discriminate against someone called Muhammed or some brown guy from the Middle East, if they say they're not Muslim, then you are a racist for suggesting such idea.
Original post by champ_mc99
Not thread topic related but do a quick google search. Many countries don't kill apostates so it seems we may move to reform this law altogether.

But that would be going against allah and muhammed's commands of slaying apostates, therefore going against the 6 articles of faith, therefore not being Islamic at all but indeed secular.
I think that the consequences of this belief are more worrisome than the belief itself.

The consequences follow from the belief. When you take things purely on faith, anything can be justified (which is ironically what those without faith are routinely charged with), so I'd contend the belief itself is worrisome.
Original post by Angry Bird
everyone has their own opinion, that's perfectly fine. However they shouldn't prevent other people from voting.

Didn't say they should. Just that it's possible for them to have a reason for not voting; it's not just because they're 'stupid and dumb.'
Original post by Fantastic Fan

All Muslims, especially Bin Laden

Not all Muslims are from the same background, but certain backgrounds tend to be predominantly Muslim. How will you determine who's Muslim and who's not, without tending to racism?
Original post by oShahpo
Well, that's pretty stupid, here's why.
First of all I did not say do not criticise Islam or even outlaw it, I said any mass discrimination against Muslims will affect non-Muslims from the same background.
Secondly, the argument instead of being extended to Nazism, could be extended to Communism, as we have past experience of that. There has been massive discrimination against Communism in the past, and only a fool would suggest that this discrimination did not affect ordinary Eastern European and Soviet individuals.
Thirdly, there is no way you can police thought, only actions. You can't tell people what to think and what to believe, we do not live in a dystopian novel. You can only police actions, anything else is unfair and discriminatory as there is absolutely no way you can tell what people think. Thus discrimination against individuals for being Muslims, i.e. for having certain thoughts, is bound to be based on physical traits, hence the racism bit.

If you want to fight the idea, that is Islam, that's perfectly fine. But you can't fight people for what they think or believe. Unless they commit a crime, you can't punish them. You can't tell people what to think, be it Nazism or Islamism, freedom of thought is a freedom we are supposed to stand for. It doesn't mean you can't be vigilant with certain people.

And in anyway, unless you guarantee that you will not discriminate against someone called Muhammed or some brown guy from the Middle East, if they say they're not Muslim, then you are a racist for suggesting such idea.

This is ridiculous on so many levels. Before I continue, I just want to emphasise that Islam and Nazism are indistinguishable from my pov. They both want to kill me.

I've never advocated any physical violence against muslims, if that's what you mean by "physical discrimination".

If you were hiring someone, and they told you they were a Nazi, would that affect your decision in anyway?

Well that is how it is for me and Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending