The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e aí rapaz
New York's not in Canada.

Just so you know.

Thanks mate, wasn't sure...

I have no intention of going to Canada you fool. I'm rich, I can afford private healthcare in the US :wink:
Original post by zKlown
The working class who complain that immigrants are taking their jobs?

Tell me about it.

They'll be the first to moan when their benefits are cut :rolleyes:

I find with the referendum there's a definite class divide.

The working classes who've had more first hand exposure to immigration, e.g competition for unskilled minimum wage jobs, lack of affordable housing are going to feel differently to people like us who've been to uni, work in white collar jobs and are saving for a house deposit. They aren't going to care about savings, pensions, house prices etc falling in value off the back of Sterling's high volatility because they won't have any of those things. They're going to look at what's going on and think "what has the EU done for me?"

Really pisses me off when people say the EU is a dictatorship that's unelected etc when we have an unelected second chamber, a Parliament that isn't representative of the people it supposedly represents, and soon to have a Prime Minister/Cabinet with no mandate to govern. We've effectively had our future decided by a load of uneducated idiots who've been fed a pack of lies.

Don't even get me started on the impact this'll have on the city. I'm due to be made redundant in October and i'm absolutely *****ing it now. How am I ever going to find a job in the financial sector when we'll almost certainly be entering recession?
Wales were perhaps the funniest. Anyway most of it is a **** hole and its not a surprise that a backwards place like Merthyr thought "hur hur immigration dey steal all our jobs and EU is bad people" to vote leave. They should never have let an issue like this go to the common public.
Original post by atom y humber
No you're just making a red herring of my analogy. What's eating alone and transport got to do with it? And lol at claiming you shredding it.

No democracy is about people having a say on who represent them. Go and have a look at the definition. No one has ever campaigned for people to have a say in every single decision because people realise that it is absolutely stupid and very unpragmatic

You whole starting premise was that trying to make a decision within a big group isn't often possible so you shouldn't bother. I'm giving you the flip side when everyone else makes the effort to decide together whereas you want to go off and make your own decision - i.e. eat alone.

If you can't follow that, probably explains why you voted leave :awesome:

"the belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves"

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/democracy

Is that sufficiently looking up the definition? Was the first link on google for me.

How can you think it is less democratic to have everyone have a vote for themselves rather than elect someone to decide on their behalf?

No reason why, with the technology involved, that we're not able to make a democratic vote decision on matters other than voting in the general election and local elections etc a couple of times every 5 years.
Christ boys if all of us who support different clubs and normally take the piss out of each other could agree we shouldn't have left. How badly have we ****ed it? :lol:
Original post by sr90
They'll be the first to moan when their benefits are cut :rolleyes:

I find with the referendum there's a definite class divide.

The working classes who've had more first hand exposure to immigration, e.g competition for unskilled minimum wage jobs, lack of affordable housing are going to feel differently to people like us who've been to uni, work in white collar jobs and are saving for a house deposit. They aren't going to care about savings, pensions, house prices etc falling in value off the back of Sterling's high volatility because they won't have any of those things. They're going to look at what's going on and think "what has the EU done for me?"

Really pisses me off when people say the EU is a dictatorship that's unelected etc when we have an unelected second chamber, a Parliament that isn't representative of the people it supposedly represents, and soon to have a Prime Minister/Cabinet with no mandate to govern. We've effectively had our future decided by a load of uneducated idiots who've been fed a pack of lies.

Don't even get me started on the impact this'll have on the city. I'm due to be made redundant in October and i'm absolutely *****ing it now. How am I ever going to find a job in the financial sector when we'll almost certainly be entering recession?

I saw an article which showed that areas which has a higher number of immigrant influx, were more in favour of remaining whereas areas which had less numbers of immigrants, were more in favour of leaving :rolleyes:

Similarly the older the voter, the higher the proportion of voting leave.

Cameron should've stayed and cut the pensions for all the old people out of spite.
The number of people I know who didn't even vote is painful tbh. Was so easy can't see why or how you could have just not bothered. I was in and out (:tongue:) in about 5 mins.
Reply 5967
Was probably in response to the government.

"Stick it to the man".
I voted remain and so did all my friends. I'm sad to see us leave the EU but no point crying over spilt milk.

On the plus side at the least the baby boom generation will be dead within 5-10 years. Also, it's pretty cool to be a part of such a historic event. :h:
Reply 5969
Joker pls.
Original post by The.Joker
but no point crying over spilt milk.

Unless you're in finance or business
Original post by sevchenko
Unless you're in finance or business

Yeah true say. But I meant more in the sense that the population democratically voted to leave so I don't see why people are complaining excessively e.g. making a petition for a 2nd referendum which obviously won't happen. I wonder how it all pans out in the long term, will be exciting to see the future unfold- for better or for worse.

I have quite a few relatives in Canada so that's my back up plan if England goes to the dogs or go to live in Dubai (that tax free money though :perv:).
Ruthless from Joker :tongue:

Just do what I do and move to America and become a rich business Psychologist :wink:
Reply 5973
Catch Luke @ one of them Trump rallies.
Biggest **** you would be for England to win the Euros now.
Original post by Fizzel
The number of people I know who didn't even vote is painful tbh. Was so easy can't see why or how you could have just not bothered. I was in and out (:tongue:) in about 5 mins.

If they don't have an informed opinion then perhaps better to have not voted. Bit of gamble otherwise.
Reply 5976
What makes it worse is that people actually sided with the likes of Boris Johnson and Katie Hopkins. :frown:
Original post by So Instinct
If they don't have an informed opinion then perhaps better to have not voted. Bit of gamble otherwise.
Most of them wanted to vote Remain that I aware, and are now annoyed at the result. I still think people voting informed or otherwise is a good thing, its gives politicians every reason to connect with the electorate and be inclusive.

Original post by Rk2k14
What makes it worse is that people actually sided with the likes of Boris Johnson and Katie Hopkins. :frown:
Boris uses a pretty likeable character tbh, and it wasn't hard when people like Corbyn barely even bothered to show up. He should 100% go as Labour leader after this, how anyone can delude themselves into thinking this guy can win an election other than by default is beyond me. Managed to lose a race he was winning even when he had half the opposition helping him. Its like playing a football match and the opposition midfield swaping sides and still losing ffs. In the pic on the Guardian's front page, they have 8 people, Carney, Sturgeon, Merkel and Gove no sign of Corbyn. In the frigging Guardian! The guy is an utter non event of a leader, Wenger would make him captain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
Most of them wanted to vote Remain that I aware, and are now annoyed at the result. I still think people voting informed or otherwise is a good thing, its gives politicians every reason to connect with the electorate and be inclusive.

That being a good thing would be dependant on Remain being the long term correct decision.
I see your argument, but with the these campaigns become less about sincere connections with the electorate and more just efficient, effective methods to convince people to vote for you- with tools such as fear mongering and propaganda.
Original post by So Instinct
That being a good thing would be dependant on Remain being the long term correct decision.
I see your argument, but with the these campaigns become less about sincere connections with the electorate and more just efficient, effective methods to convince people to vote for you- with tools such as fear mongering and propaganda.
Its more that they didn't get the result they wanted. If you as a Brexiter stayed at home not much of a big deal but as a Remainer, you'd be kicking yourself. I've argued on the problems with being informed before but fundamentally I think democracy requires participation to serve its purpose. At fully informed 10% turnout isn't really democratic no matter how its spun. Many of the people are pretty informed too, its just laziness or such. One guy was on a big hospital shift and just could be arsed to get in his car and go and vote on his break.

Latest