The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
Project fear lost, we all know the short term affects now you have a choice ***** about it or work to ensure we become the greatest country we can possibly be.

How was it Project Fear ;-;

I didn't see posters everywhere in my town about how to stay in the EU, all I saw were posters on "WE GIVE 350M TO THE EU WEEKLY". Bremain didn't have a lot of biased news websites, which is what a lot of the people I know who voted leave relied on (my parents relied on The Express... I can't believe that they thought we gave that much money nor how they believed Turkey was joining the EU right now and were going to come over in, don't even laugh at this quote, the millions).

I don't want to say it, but both campaigns were Project Fear. Both didn't quantify a lot of what they said. Both lied and cheated. Brexit just seemed to be a better campaign overall and had more momentum; maybe if the Conservatives rallied together better and Labour did more, Bremain would have won.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Scotland has a 14% budget deficit now due to oil prices collapsing. Not even the SNP could with a straight face argue leaving the UK right now would provide economic security.

It's plotting. You have given it a opportunity and it will take it. Stop pretending like the fact it wants to stay in the EU and has a population willing to leave isn't a issue.
Reply 242
Original post by elitepower
Scotland IS leaving. The last referendum was close and the main reason for staying was the security (not taking the risk). You just blew that up, ruined the pound, risked all the businesses and voted opposite them on a major issue they care about. They want in the EU and to leave, they are taking this chance to secure freedom, they will win and leave. And frankly I don't blame them, it looks a hell more appealing

I think you need to pause and see what relationship the UK brokers with the EU before assuming Scotland will vote to leave. A Scotland in the EU with trade barriers with England is not an attractive proposition and I am not convinced such a deal would be endorsed by the Scottish electorate, especially as Scotland might need to adopt the Euro.(though maybe not)

To get things into perspective the business I work for in Edinburgh buys nothing from the EU but a fair bit from England, our bank loans are cross border, most building materials come from the south, software, some services, apart from local tradesmen about 70% of purchases originate from England.

In all honesty I think a wait and see approach is the most sensible and I suspect that is the one the SNP will adopt.
The pound looks like it was dropped off a cliff. Scotland is planning to leave. Northern Ireland is discussing it. We have lots billions in the last 24 hours. We have a leaving Prime Minister so will get a unelected official in October. Speaking of politicians, no one has any faith in them. 2,000 jobs have already been lost with more likely on the way. Most of our allies have lost respect for us and the public hates each other because morons voted to leave because they are xenophobic. Farage's benefits have already been revealed as fake.

Compare this to - what is your benefits? Oh right, nothing.

So I think I'm being reasonable, thank you.

The pound has also rebounded and is stabilising. It spiked and dropped due to flash trading. For the layman the consequences from that are little to none. We won't know the long term effects until, well, the long term.
Scotland is planning, maybe, a second referendum. They also have a 14% budget deficit at current oil prices but would still be rich enough to be a net contributor to the EU. You'd be hard pressed to argue that Scotland would be better off out of the UK but also in the EU.
For Northern Ireland, it's only mutterings from Sinn Feinn. The DUP and UUP have a combined majority in the NI Assembly and would not vote to leave the UK or for Irish reunification.

We don't vote directly for the PM and never have.

Are these the 'allies' who belittled and threatened us, claiming we would be insignificant without them and that they'd initiate a trade war with us? Yeah great allies they are.

What are my benefits? Being able to conduct ourselves as a country as we see fit, without hindrance, red tape or bureaucracy from the EU, which has an appalling track record at stimulating economic growth or ratifying trade deals.

So no, you're not being reasonable. You're acting as if you've been shot when really you've just tripped on a kerb.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I voted out. I'm not looking for an argument. I had my reasons and that's enough. Yes, I considered the consequences and the hardships that will be short term and temporary. It will get worse before it gets better, but I personally believe it will be better in the long run.

I just don't understand why people can call me out to be a racist, xenophobic or just a simple idiot just because I hold my views and reasons to vote leave. If you voted remain, that's fine. And I'd be hella annoyed if Leave lost. But I wouldn't go around throwing my weight around being all belligerent and horrible on social media because I disagree.

It is life and people seriously need to grow up. Get over the result, or get with it. We have to come together and make sure we can get the best for our future, regardless of what you who you thought should have won or not. Put your pride aside, and try and build up this country.

You can reply back, but I won't respond. I'm too grown for such nonsense.

Wouldn't it make more sense not to post in a forum if you weren't looking for a debate or converse on your views? Not trying to put you down I just don't get the rational. :s-smilie:
It's plotting. You have given it a opportunity and it will take it. Stop pretending like the fact it wants to stay in the EU and has a population willing to leave isn't a issue.

I never said it isn't an issue. Of course they're plotting.
You have to stop pretending that the foundation of their argument for leaving, that they'd have a magical utopian Norwegian-style economy funded by quadrillions of pounds of oil revenue, is still viable now two years later.
Original post by 99_Problems
Wouldn't it make more sense not to post in a forum if you weren't looking for a debate or converse on your views? Not trying to put you down I just don't get the rational. :s-smilie:

I am stating my opinion. I do not need a reaction to make my opinion valid or as important as someone else. Is my opinion discredited if I don't get into a debate or an argument?

It's called me tolerant to people's difference and opinions. You don't have to agree with what I say, but you have to accept that I have an opinion and it should be as important as yours is and vice versa.

There's a lot of stick going to honest people who voted leave and it's just nasty that people are calling some of the Leaves retarded, dumb, racists etc. To throw these words so easily just because one didn't get their way shows more about the characteristics of the Remain supporters. I felt like Leavers of my age group 18-24 needed some defense. That's all.
Original post by DJKL
I think you need to pause and see what relationship the UK brokers with the EU before assuming Scotland will vote to leave. A Scotland in the EU with trade barriers with England is not an attractive proposition and I am not convinced such a deal would be endorsed by the Scottish electorate, especially as Scotland might need to adopt the Euro.(though maybe not)

To get things into perspective the business I work for in Edinburgh buys nothing from the EU but a fair bit from England, our bank loans are cross border, most building materials come from the south, software, some services, apart from local tradesmen about 70% of purchases originate from England.

In all honesty I think a wait and see approach is the most sensible and I suspect that is the one the SNP will adopt.

They are not messing around, they want to leave and will take the chance. And frankly, sorry if this comes off a little rude, but the fact the very best leave people can come up with is wait and see is stupid. We've risked the economy, the entire political structure and union for wait and see?

NO. I could have waited and saw economic stability. I could have seen a continuation of what it was like. I will not wait and see years of unstable suffering you people have committed us too to see if it is the same as before. This is a joke, this is a massive mistake and it needs fixing.
With regard to the title - we were before the referendum anyway. I voted remain btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am stating my opinion. I do not need a reaction to make my opinion valid or as important as someone else. Is my opinion discredited if I don't get into a debate or an argument?

It's called me tolerant to people's difference and opinions. You don't have to agree with what I say, but you have to accept that I have an opinion and it should be as important as yours is and vice versa.

There's a lot of stick going to honest people who voted leave and it's just nasty that people are calling some of the Leaves retarded, dumb, racists etc. To throw these words so easily just because one didn't get their way shows more about the characteristics of the Remain supporters. I felt like Leavers of my age group 18-24 needed some defense. That's all.

I accept all of that, I voted remain but the campaign of remain to paint Brexiters as racist was horrific and to seemingly put the need of financiers over common people was a stupid angle.

BUT the focus and core of a forum is afterall discussion so if you do not want a debate the point still remains (no pun intended) that it seems like a discussion forum is an odd platform to get your views across if you do not want people to discuss anything with you.
Original post by 99_Problems
I accept all of that, I voted remain but the campaign of remain to paint Brexiters as racist was horrific and to seemingly put the need of financiers over common people was a stupid angle.

BUT the focus and core of a forum is afterall discussion so if you do not want a debate the point still remains (no pun intended) that it seems like a discussion forum is an odd platform to get your views across if you do not want people to discuss anything with you.

Others can discuss my comment amongst themselves. I just wish not to partake in a back-and-forth argument on a screen. I'm too busy for that.

My original comment wasn't to impose any kind of belligerence or aggravation. It was just what I thought. I wasn't trying to make an argument. I simply expressed my opinion and foretold I do not wish to partake in a discussion. Just adding an extra voice to the overall thread. I don't see what the problem is and by you questioning my position as a poster, is making way for a discussion I care to avoid lol. So if you please, have a nice evening!
(edited 7 years ago)
Others can discuss my comment amongst themselves. I just wish not to partake in a back-and-forth argument on a screen. I'm too busy for that.

My original comment wasn't to impose any kind of belligerence or aggravation. It was just what I thought. I wasn't trying to make an argument. I simply expressed my opinion and foretold I do not wish to partake in a discussion. Just adding an extra voice to the overall thread. I don't see what the problem is and by you questioning my position as a poster, is making way for a discussion I care to avoid lol. So if you please, have a nice evening!

Fair enough, and you :smile:
Reply 252
They are not messing around, they want to leave and will take the chance. And frankly, sorry if this comes off a little rude, but the fact the very best leave people can come up with is wait and see is stupid. We've risked the economy, the entire political structure and union for wait and see?

NO. I could have waited and saw economic stability. I could have seen a continuation of what it was like. I will not wait and see years of unstable suffering you people have committed us too to see if it is the same as before. This is a joke, this is a massive mistake and it needs fixing.

To be clear I voted Remain (with a little reluctance) in the bastion of Remain, Edinburgh, but that does not mean I will vote for Scotland to be independent, I will wait and see what develops, how the new world looks, and decide at that point how I vote if offered a referendum.

The Scots are pragmatic, they will not blindly follow a SNP call, they will look at the facts as they did at the last referendum. The SNP are not stupid, they would not be where they are if they were, if they get another referendum they will want to be sure they will win and for that they will need to have a clearer picture of the political landscape.

Ca'canny
Original post by DJKL
To be clear I voted Remain (with a little reluctance) in the bastion of Remain, Edinburgh, but that does not mean I will vote for Scotland to be independent, I will wait and see what develops, how the new world looks, and decide at that point how I vote if offered a referendum.

The Scots are pragmatic, they will not blindly follow a SNP call, they will look at the facts as they did at the last referendum. The SNP are not stupid, they would not be where they are if they were, if they get another referendum they will want to be sure they will win and for that they will need to have a clearer picture of the political landscape.

Ca'canny

All I know is this is terrifying and lots of people are unhappy about this and a Scot victory is almost a shoe in if they go for it.
Lets not forget about this:

[video="youtube;pafdzdZ3qXc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafdzdZ3qXc[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
I think I might want to get off the wine, celebrations started early

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas honey!

This comment just... fab!!
Reply 256
All I know is this is terrifying and lots of people are unhappy about this and a Scot victory is almost a shoe in if they go for it.

You cannot be in Scotland if you believe that. The last referendum had a daft number of unknowns, a further one will have two times daft number of unknowns, any sane politician will wait to see a few of these resolved before trying to gain independence.
I think everything will improve. Jeremy Corbyn voted out me thinks. He didn't really want to stay in the eu and so he half-heartedly started campaigning a few days ago for leave. He should stay as leader of Labour Party though.
I didn't and still don't believe in our 'allies'' threat that leaving the EU would be damaging. The US, Canada etc didn't want us to leave because then they would have to spend a bit of time and money negotiating a new trade deal with us. Anyway how bad can it get? The fall in the pound was predicted but it's quite amusing that the European markets have fallen further than ours! Anyway, a smaller economy would mean lower house prices - housing crisis solved.
Voted leave. Students may get their bursaries and grants back, funding for NHS and more work available. School places free up. We can get on the property ladder easily now. Control of who gets into our country, so less threat from terrorism and people wont be coming here for benefits. The EU is £30 billion in debt. It will get worst when Turkey and Albania join. We are better off. I can understand how those who have big businesses may be affected by the trade movement but the British people have had enough of this government.
(edited 7 years ago)
Agh, get away from this pessimism. It hasn't been 24 hours yet.. Politicians said that the short term effects would be bad, but the long term effects will be better than that of remaining in the EU.

Latest