The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ALevel Student 1
Would 71/75 in C3 and 66/75 in C4 be an A*????

http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce
Would 71/75 in C3 and 66/75 in C4 be an A*????

I think people will lose mark on volume integration and last vector E question! So I do believe you will get an A*
99% sure this is an A*

cheers man:smile:
Hey guys,does anyone know what units with come under core maths for the UMS mark and what comes under further pure.....
I have done/will be doing,
C1,C2,C3,C4
FP1,FP2,FP3
M1,M2,M3
S1,S2

wondering how edexcel shifts units around for the final grade....
Original post by RoosterJones
Hey guys,does anyone know what units with come under core maths for the UMS mark and what comes under further pure.....
I have done/will be doing,
C1,C2,C3,C4
FP1,FP2,FP3
M1,M2,M3
S1,S2

wondering how edexcel shifts units around for the final grade....

The exam board maximises your grades for maths, and then further maths (with the lowest highest grade in maths, if that makes sense, so that your further maths is as high as possible as well).

But with the applied units it will either be:

S1 and S2
M1 and M2
or M1 and S1 in A-level maths.
Original post by SeanFM
The exam board maximises your grades for maths, and then further maths (with the lowest highest grade in maths, if that makes sense, so that your further maths is as high as possible as well).

But with the applied units it will either be:

S1 and S2
M1 and M2
or M1 and S1 in A-level maths.

Thanks Sean!
On the volume integration question I treated 17/2 as the radius instead of 8 and therefore my answer was slightly different, how many marks will I lose?
Reply 4767
Original post by kamez
ums is not linear, therefore, using last years' ums calculator...71 was 100 ums for c3 so whether you got 71 or 72 or 75...it will all be seen as 100 ums

and 62 was 80 ums last year and 63 was about 82 ums

therefore, it you got those marks last year, u would have gotten an A*. this year exams were roughly the same level so it should still be an A* in my opinion. the guy who replied to you saying that 72 was 96 ums, he doesn't know how ums calculation works....

if you have any doubts, feel free to go to edexcel website, download ums calculator, it is on excel spreadsheet and then input the years and the exam modules, then you wouldn't have to ask people for ums!

Thanks so much 😃
what's this about the C4 paper being leaked??
Does anyone have the marks for each question? thanks in advance
In what way is UMS not linear? I don't have excel so I can't use the spreadsheet (it doesn't work on google docs or OpenOffice) . I would have assumed that the ums graph would be a straight line between grades (e.g. If 64 is 80 and 69 is 90, then each mark between increases by 2)
Original post by Jabbasalacious
In what way is UMS not linear? I don't have excel so I can't use the spreadsheet (it doesn't work on google docs or OpenOffice) . I would have assumed that the ums graph would be a straight line between grades (e.g. If 64 is 80 and 69 is 90, then each mark between increases by 2)

Here is a sample from last year
Original post by Jabbasalacious

It would if that were the boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
Here is a sample from last year

Ah that's just because it's a different rate below the E grade - between the actual grades I'm pretty sure it's linear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
Ah that's just because it's a different rate below the E grade - between the actual grades I'm pretty sure it's linear

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily. S2 for example

Original post by Student403
Not necessarily. S2 for example

Again, only because they had to change the rate at which the UMS was going up by unless they wanted it to be 75 for an A*! It's usually linear unless it's at the very extremities
Original post by kingaaran
Again, only because they had to change the rate at which the UMS was going up by unless they wanted it to be 75 for an A*! It's usually linear unless it's at the very extremities

Fair enough :tongue:
Original post by Azzer11
I've been quite downbeat all day, it was an easy exam and I choked. Should've got an A* but I messed up. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.

Yeah this is how I feel about it
Leave it all behind you and just enjoy your summer!
Someone should have nabbed a paper to upload by now..
Original post by Tan455
Hi guys
How does an A* in maths work
Doesn't it include all c1,2,3,4 and stats1,2 or mechanics 1,2??
For far I think I got 90 ums for c3 and c4 and last year I got a UMS of 250 still got s2 left

You need to get 480 ums out of a possible 600 for the entire A-level. You must also have 90 ums in both Core 3 and Core 4. In theory you can get a really low mark in one module and still walk out with an A*.

Good luck- hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending