The Student Room Group

I challenge all Bremainers...

I challenge all Bremainers in their convictions...

Why did you vote to remain? / Why would you have voted remain?
Why didn't you vote to leave the EU?

This is just as much for me as it is for you (because I want to see how well I can source my arguments and everything like that, which I usually ignore to do.)

I dare you. :colone:

Edit: List of arguments as I go through all of them one by one. :huff:

net contribution to the EU
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4185123&page=2&p=66085655#post66085655

saving our steel industry (and lowering energy prices)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66110503&postcount=65
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a strong brexiter.
Because I'm not a ****ing imbecile.
I voted remain because the leave campaign failed to persuade me there was a comprehensive plan in place to ensure the country doesn't start to fail in terms of wealth. I'm still yet to be convinced by the Brexiters.

Honestly, I probably dislike the Union as most exiters but for me it was silly jumping into the unknown with no plan. Mediocre stability was better then total uncertainty.
I voted remain almost entirely due to the economic benefits membership entails.
Original post by Zargabaath
I voted remain because the leave campaign failed to persuade me there was a comprehensive plan in place to ensure the country doesn't start to fail in terms of wealth. I'm still yet to be convinced by the Brexiters.

Honestly, I probably dislike the Union as most exiters but for me it was silly jumping into the unknown with no plan. Mediocre stability was better then total uncertainty.

How could the Leave Campaign possible have come up with a comprehensive plan? The only people who could really were David Cameron and George Osborne but they irresponsibly refused to make any sort of contingency plans, instead just threatening more huge cuts as part of a self-fulfilling prophecy to ensure Brexit would fail.
There wasn't really anything ironclad the Leave Campaign could promise as for all intents and purposes none of them were in the cabinet.
Reply 6

To be fair, you can blame the government for not having the foresight to have a back-up plan if remain failed, and also the EU for not making it clearer what happens when a member leaves the union.

I thought I told you I didn't vote because I'm 15 and I said I changed my mind. :smile:
Why are we starting this thread again? We have left.

Can't wait to see what happens next.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart

This is just as much for me as it is for you (because I want to see how well I can source my arguments and everything like that, which I usually ignore to do.)

I'd rather have things stay as they are now and i know that for a fact because things will continue as they were, however if we leave, ther will be change and i don't know whether change will be good or bad, i'd rather not gamble and just stay safe this time
Europes stocks tanked though, much more damage has been done to the EU so investers will seek safehaven in UK stocks which barely fell
Original post by Lord Samosa
Because I'm not a ****ing imbecile.

You vote remain because you're not a ****ing imbecile.
You're not a ****ing imbecile so you vote remain.

Circular reasoning.

You're not giving me anything to work with.
I expected better off you.

Samosachutney.jpg
Original post by ManThatCan
Europes stocks tanked though, much more damage has been done to the EU so investers will seek safehaven in UK stocks which barely fell

You must be drunk if you think the UK is a safe haven. No one is investing in stocks if they have a brain.
Original post by Swanbow
To be fair, you can blame the government for not having the foresight to have a back-up plan if remain failed, and also the EU for not making it clearer what happens when a member leaves the union.

It's not blame, I'm not saying it because Boris didn't say the words or anything. It's just the uncertainty of not knowing.

Original post by pol pot noodles
How could the Leave Campaign possible have come up with a comprehensive plan? The only people who could really were David Cameron and George Osborne but they irresponsibly refused to make any sort of contingency plans, instead just threatening more huge cuts as part of a self-fulfilling prophecy to ensure Brexit would fail.
There wasn't really anything ironclad the Leave Campaign could promise as for all intents and purposes none of them were in the cabinet.

I don't understand why the Tory leavers couldn't have made contingency plans amongst themselves. Or at least proposed possible avenues to go down once we do leave. All I heard from Leave was how **** the EU is (which I already knew) and how we should make Britain great. Not methods on how to achieve that goal.
I voted for remain because the tactics that the leave campaign used, like false promises and dirty politics. I myself am Asian so my parents are immigrants and I felt a strong connection to the remain party as I felt as if the leave party wanted to just get rid of all immigrants and make Britain what it was many years ago.

Being a student, the idea of traveling in the EU freely and working is appealing as I want to be able to broaden my horizons and not worry about a visa. I also worried about the financial burden as it could prove disastrous if not resolved properly. I don't think anyone thought what would happen if we leave through, it seems to only be a case of "we will see how we go". Its no secret that many leave voters are now regretting their decision.

dskinner's point pretty much sums me up entirely. You can say bremainers are resistent to change, but if you could pick either regular ketchup or ketchup with added rat poison, you'd go with the regular ketchup. Not because you're resisting change, more because the other option would be extremely harmful.

Another reason is the economic benefits surrounded with staying in, like the benefits of immigration, certainty in the markets, and a stable pound coin. Aswell as (this is for your benefit as you want to debate) experts from the IMF and the Bank of England, amongst other places, who believe staying in the EU would've been the way forward.

When I finish uni, I'm ****ing off to Scotland, who would've hopefully left the UK by then and joined the EU. Plus, I hate hot weather :P.
x

today is a good day :smile:

I don't understand why the Tory leavers couldn't have made contingency plans amongst themselves. Or at least proposed possible avenues to go down once we do leave. All I heard from Leave was how **** the EU is (which I already knew) and how we should make Britain great. Not methods on how to achieve that goal.

They did propose generic plans, but again you can't really make ironclad promises when you're not the government and the government is actively attempting to hinder your access to civil service resources. There wasn't anything they could really say beyond 'leave the EU and make strong ties with the Commonwealth' and stuff.
Reply 19

I voted in. But there are some valuable points to leave, apart from immigration. The whole point of the EU union is to artificially lower the value of Germany's currency, so they can competitively sell their cars, even though they are the 4th biggest economy. This whole 1 law for 28 countries. Not being able to change laws, such as tax on sanitary towel (just off the top of my head). Setting up trade deals in the EU union is painfully slow, as anyone of the countries can veto. I feel setting up trade deals with emerging markets such as brazil,india and china could be more beneficial. Most Germany Mp and business people want free trade with the UK as we buy a lot of their goods.

Quick Reply