The Student Room Group

If capital punishment isn't worth one innocent person being executed....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anthony Ludovici
Define "a high degree". Among developing countries the PRC has one of the lowest crime rates. It makes India look like a third world hell hole by comparison (which it is, but that's besides the point). Singapore posts a significantly lower homicide rate than Norway. Likewise with most other developed East Asian states. So I don't think Norway can truly be put up there with the top-tier of low-crime polities. It still has its Muslim ghettoes and corresponding low-level criminality, murders, rapes (tied to immigration) etc.

I already know that opposing to the death penalty is about virtue-signalling and pathological altruism, so you didn't need to tell me that.

This one comment exposes your ignorance. No one should take what you have to say seriously from now on.
Original post by bolly_mad
This one comment exposes your ignorance. No one should take what you have to say seriously from now on.

India is a third-world hellhole. I know overseas Indians desperately want to pretend their diaspora is representative of India as a whole, but 60% of Indians still defecate in public. Not to mention the atrocious behavior of the average Indian male towards white females on social media sites, which underscores their complete lack of decorum.
India is a third-world hellhole. I know overseas Indians desperately want to pretend their diaspora is representative of India as a whole, but 60% of Indians still defecate in public. Not to mention the atrocious behavior of the average Indian male towards white females on social media sites, which underscores their complete lack of decorum.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

And you've just guaranteed that no one will take you seriously. Bye now.

By any metric India is a third-world hell hole. It's funny you're so blinkered by the sheer repetition of the word "equality" you actually believe it's unfair and wrong to collect statistics and comparatively evaluate different nations in various areas.
Reply 24
We can't put them to work for the rest of their lives. Since the powers that be have established, in their infinite wisdom, that this would be far too cruel.

I don't believe human life has innate value, and if you're an atheist I challenge you to produce a material mechanism by which it does.

Yes, but people have also established that killing them would be too cruel. I feel out of the two I'd rather bring back putting them to work.

And I'm not an athiest, so I'll ignore the second point.
Original post by Dheorl
Yes, but people have also established that killing them would be too cruel. .

We haven't "established" this at all. You suggest it's some sort of cosmic law, rather than the more simple fact of people (particularly women with misplaced maternal instincts) becoming soft and overly empathetic towards sociopathic people.
We haven't "established" this at all. You suggest it's some sort of cosmic law, rather than the more simple fact of people (particularly women with misplaced maternal instincts) becoming soft and overly empathetic towards sociopathic people.

Please explain what you achieve by killing someone in revenge for a crime they've committed?

Original post by cbreef
Please! Feel free to dig out some old posts by me relating to Scandinavia. See for yourself

Regardless of what your past posts May that post came across to me, and others, as mocking the Scandinavian criminal justice system.

Well how would you change it exactly?

Move toward a more Scandinavian where the focus is on rehabilitation rather than punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was the first to reply to this thread, I thought he was a fool just for his thread, he obviously knows little about the justice system of Britain, it was poorly thought out. So I agree with you, people should pay no mind to him.
Original post by Underscore__
Please explain what you achieve by killing someone in revenge for a crime they've committed?

Only capital punishment ensures a null rate of recidivism. It also acts as a deterrent, when used liberally enough.

Regardless of what your past posts May that post came across to me, and others, as mocking the Scandinavian criminal justice system.

Sweden has the highest rate of rape in all of Europe.

Enjoy your brown immies, droog.
Original post by dozyrosie
I was the first to reply to this thread, I thought he was a fool just for his thread, he obviously knows little about the justice system of Britain, it was poorly thought out. So I agree with you, people should pay no mind to him.

How about you, you know, actually get married and have children rather than directing your maternal instinct towards rapefugees and violent sociopaths?

No, that would be too easy.
How about you, you know, actually get married and have children rather than directing your maternal instinct towards rapefugees and violent sociopaths?

No, that would be too easy.

How utterly childish.
Then how do you explain all of the people who have been murdered and raped by recidivists who were released from jail by a parole board?

Are they "worth" the current system we have?

I don't see the protecting innocent people as the main argument against death penalty really. I think it's about whether you think the justice system is for punishment or rehabilitation.
Original post by dozyrosie
How utterly childish.

Yeah, totally unlike sitting around gratifying yourself until you're 35 with ersatz babies in the form of cats and dogs, upon finally deciding to have a kid that ends up autismal because of your age.
Original post by Asiimov
I don't see the protecting innocent people as the main argument against death penalty really. I think it's about whether you think the justice system is for punishment or rehabilitation.

Impulse-control is in no small part determined by genetic factors. How exactly are you going to "rehabilitate" people who are genetically predisposed towards aggression?
Impulse-control is in no small part determined by genetic factors. How exactly are you going to "rehabilitate" people who are genetically predisposed towards aggression?

Being genetically predisposed to something doesn't mean you will inevitably do it. Teach them and reason with them.
Then how do you explain all of the people who have been murdered and raped by recidivists who were released from jail by a parole board?

Are they "worth" the current system we have?

We can't just decide to kill them because they have a malfunctioning of the brain. However, if they truly can't be saved then maybe
Original post by Asiimov
Being genetically predisposed to something doesn't mean you will inevitably do it. Teach them and reason with them.

You can no more "teach" someone with low impulse-control to avoid aggression in stressful situations than you can "teach" someone with an IQ of 80 to become a C-Level developer.

Perhaps pavlovian beatings would work, but nothing else. And even then only temporarily.
You can no more "teach" someone with low impulse-control to avoid aggression in stressful situations than you can "teach" someone with an IQ of 80 to become a C-Level developer.

Perhaps pavlovian beatings would work, but nothing else. And even then only temporarily.

Have you proven that you can't teach that? No. If we can't teach people with low impulse-control to better themselves then why does anger management even exist.
Original post by Asiimov
Have you proven that you can't teach that? No. If we can't teach people with low impulse-control to better themselves

It's not up to me to prove your own unsupported postulated hypothesis wrong dude. Learn to rhetoric.

then why does anger management even exist.

LOL.

Same reason self-help books exist you ****ing idiot.
Reply 39

By "we" I mean what you do by the phrase "the powers that be".

Currently both forms of justice are considered unacceptable. I'm saying if I had to re-implement one I know it definitely wouldn't be killing people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending