The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
I don't count it. I used to take a stopwatch and normally go up to maximum 14 hours (usually less than that, maybe 10 hours), but that is during holidays. It is usually easier to go more time studying when I have school since my schedule is split to make it easier for me - 8am to 3.30pm school study, go home, eat, then study until midnight (I live far from school so it takes me 1.5 hours transport from home to school though)

Holy ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L-Tyrosine
Can someone knowledgeable please predict my friend's performance:

q1 done except part 2

q8 done except part 3

q11 done

q9 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but need to get more details on how good of an attempt it was

q10 part 1 done, part 2 attempted but once again need to get more details

q2 and q4 were partially done but I don't know to what extent, so I'll update it when I find out but until then could someone please predict a lower bound for this performance? Thanks.

Bump
Original post by Krollo
Don't think I've gone through what I did yet... in order:

2) Did 2i. Not sure why. This wasn't a great choice to start with, so I cut my losses and moved on; quite close to panicking but managed to hold it together.

11) Not a great deal to this question if I'm honest. A nice full to get me in the swing of things.

12) I don't normally do the stats on III, but something drew me to the Chebyshev inequality. Both parts, if you saw the trick, were weirdly quick... worried that I'd missed something, but I think this was just a (somewhat overlooked from what I've seen) gift.

1) Quite an agreeable question. Reduction formula took me a while, but it came out from shunting terms and hoping for the best. Induction was nice and ok as well.

4) Quite liked this one as well. Oversimplified the last bit on my first run through, but I caught my error once I checked it. Didn't get it down to the very simplest form though.

9) Should have been a routine SHM question, but it wasn't... first couple of results were swift to arise, but that final period took me an age to get anywhere near mainly due to algebra errors. Eventually got to the final answer except missing a factor of root3, but decided to move on. Never did find that root3 but not for want of trying...

8) Probably should have tried this one earlier. Algebra got annoying but not unmanageable in parts, and I was pleased to see this one through without too much trouble.

I was thinking of trying for a seventh, but ultimately I didn't feel it was a good use of my time. My checking corrected a lot of generally silly things I said so I probably picked up more extra marks here than randomly flailing at q7 or whatever. Rather happy with this performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 11 was surprisingly easy, haha. Question 8 had annoying algebra?

Everyone is saying that question 12 was a gift, and yet I don't even glance at the statistics section. :biggrin:
Original post by Mathemagicien
That's rather... extreme, isn't it?

I think, at my peak, for the first leg of my GCSEs, I was working 17 hours a day, but those were exceptional circumstances and I don't think I work half that since then. Are you sure you won't burnout continuing this into the summer (and then obviously at Cambridge)?

Read my edit above. :wink:

I've got Game of Thrones to watch (and other good TV series), play League of Legends/Starcraft/WoW.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Phew! You are human

Dany :perv:
I don't count it. I used to take a stopwatch and normally go up to maximum 14 hours (usually less than that, maybe 10 hours), but that is during holidays. It is usually easier to go more time studying when I have school since my schedule is split to make it easier for me - 8am to 3.30pm school study, go home, eat, then study until midnight (I live far from school so it takes me 1.5 hours transport from home to school though)

Edit: I am probably not gonna do 10-14 hours during summer since I want to relax a bit so I don't burn out; I need rest before Cambridge. However, I am planning on something like 5 hours, depending on how eager I get of working through IA I may increase it.

Lol ****ing hell.
Hen man lyk me started learning AFM in May. Did 1 physics past pper hahahahah.
Btw if the GoT fans don't support #Starkcest we can't be boys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Btw if the GoT fans don't support #Starkcest we can't be boys
Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been watching GoT ever since it came out. I haven't seen Dany for over one year now due to having 25 exams. I can't wait to watch GoT after my last (Physics) exam on Tuesday.
Reply 2388
Original post by L-Tyrosine
Bump

12 + 15 + 20 + Q9 + Q10 is the best I can do, since I didn't do Q9 or 10.
I've been watching GoT ever since it came out. I haven't seen Dany for over one year now due to having 25 exams. I can't wait to watch GoT after my Physics exam on Tuesday.

You not watched any of this season? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
You not watched any of this season? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Talk about will power right? My friends are surprised I was able to last for this long.

Good thing I haven't seen any spoilers on social media yet. :wink:
Read my edit above. :wink:

I've got Game of Thrones to watch (and other good TV series), play League of Legends/Starcraft/WoW.

Still crazy. I consider working 5 hours a day fairly intense...
No. Talk about will power right? My friends are surprised I was able to last for this long.

Me and my mates literally watch it asap on Mondays, literally sprinting out of Fp2 on Monday to watch it, without giving too much away, I think you'll really enjoy this season, some very excellent episodes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me and my mates literally watch it asap on Mondays, literally sprinting out of Fp2 on Monday to watch it, without giving too much away, I think you'll really enjoy this season, some very excellent episodes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks m8. I am watching it RIGHT after I come back home from school on Tuesday (I've got to talk with my maths teacher about getting me the uni maths textbooks and such first). It's going to be so good.

hodor and ramsay die
Original post by Number Nine
hodor and ramsay die

@Hodor_van_Groot dies? :cry:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
12 + 15 + 20 + Q9 + Q10 is the best I can do, since I didn't do Q9 or 10.

Thanks
Original post by Number Nine
hodor and ramsay die

I can neither confirm nor deny such allegations

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can neither confirm nor deny such allegations

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sworn to not intervene in the realms of spoilers, my sole purpose is to create stark hype

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending