The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euclidean
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Self teaching and I can't find any good resources :frown:

The part I dread most is the COP stuff, it's very hit and miss at the moment for me :frown:

Same here, all of the engine stuff I don't get any of it. :sad: I can do rotational because I've done M2 and M3 luckily

What resources are you using? I'm just using past papers and the specification :afraid: you got any that you can link to me please?
Do you guyz know all the definitions of keywords in nuclear and astro physics?
Reply 202
umm guys, are the kinetic theory assumptions the same as the ideal gas assumptions?
Original post by Mango Milkshake
Same here, all of the engine stuff I don't get any of it. :sad: I can do rotational because I've done M2 and M3 luckily

What resources are you using? I'm just using past papers and the specification :afraid: you got any that you can link to me please?

I haven't even revised yet. I'll get back to you if I find something cool. I'll likely do old spec questions for applied and study mark schemes :redface:
5C applied physics is so hard :cry:

I know but we've got no choice

Yes actually try this

http://revise.im/physics
Original post by boyyo
umm guys, are the kinetic theory assumptions the same as the ideal gas assumptions?

There's no such thing as ideal gas assumptions only kinetic theory assumptions
Reply 207
Original post by AQATrolledMe

Yeah I've just finished learning them
Original post by Franckenstar
There's no such thing as ideal gas assumptions only kinetic theory assumptions

There most definitely are ideal gas assumptions. By definition there must be because no gas is ideal and so you have to assume a few things to then treat a gas as ideal. An example being there are no interactions between each gas molecule which is obviously far from the truth as there are van de waals forces between them and if you drop the assumption, you end up with the van der waals corrected ideal gas equation which is called the van der waals equation of state. You could argue that there are crossovers between kinetic theory assumptions and ideal gas assumptions which is true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by Protoxylic
There most definitely are ideal gas assumptions. By definition there must be because no gas is ideal and so you have to assume a few things to then treat a gas as ideal. An example being there are no interactions between each gas molecule which is obviously far from the truth as there are van de waals forces between them and if you drop the assumption, you end up with the van der waals corrected ideal gas equation which is called the van der waals equation of state. You could argue that there are crossovers between kinetic theory assumptions and ideal gas assumptions which is true.

Original post by Protoxylic

But in effect they are the same since they have the same assumptions right ?
But in effect they are the same since they have the same assumptions right ?

Yeah that's my argument. Saying there is no such thing as an ideal gas assumption/s implies that you assume nothing to treat a gas as ideal.
Original post by kother2015
Can someone please help with qs 4c on section A ? How do we know that more time would be spent below 25 degrees?!
Thanks

Someone answer me please
lol with the applied physics part in section B I think I prefer section A

Yeah I think Unit 5 would be a lot better without the silly optional topics.
Original post by kother2015
Someone answer me please

What year is that ?
Original post by AQATrolledMe

Love your name lmao
Original post by C0balt
Love your name lmao

Arigato! :biggrin:
Reply 217
anyone know why Ek = eV ??
Original post by Euclidean
I haven't even revised yet. I'll get back to you if I find something cool. I'll likely do old spec questions for applied and study mark schemes :redface:

Yes actually try this

http://revise.im/physics

Thank you, this is great :smile:
Original post by idk97
anyone know why Ek = eV ??

Look in the unit 4 park of the formula sheet - electric fields. W=QV.

It's the same just different symbols. Work done and energy is the same. Remember energy is defined as the ability to do work. V is the potential difference. e is the charge, Q.

Formula just changed to fit electrons in a field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending