The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

image.jpg
Original post by blahblah21
please explain again please, if you dont mind, sorry to bother

There you go. I hope that explains it. If not just tell me and I'll be glad to explain further.
Original post by target21859
image.jpg
There you go. I hope that explains it. If not just tell me and I'll be glad to explain further.

Yeah I get it now thank you (:
Original post by blahblah21
Yeah I get it now thank you (:

No problem :smile:
Learning Fp3 atm

Can someone help me with a reduction formulae question from the book?

You're given In=0a(a2x2)ndx\displaystyle I_n=\int_0^a(a^2-x^2)^n \text{d}x.

I tried IBP setting u=(a^2-x^2)^n but ended up having to deal with an 0ax2(a2x2)ndx\displaystyle \int_0^ax^2(a^2-x^2)^n \text{d}x integral and the power of x increases by 2 each time you try to IBP it so clearly that's a dead end.
image.jpg

Sir i still didnt get why we put a in the formula instead of one... in my mind a i see that with a single pi a full circle is formed 🤔?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Learning Fp3 atm

I tried IBP setting u=(a^2-x^2)^n but ended up having to deal with an 0ax2(a2x2)ndx\displaystyle \int_0^ax^2(a^2-x^2)^n \text{d}x integral and the power of x increases by 2 each time you try to IBP it so clearly that's a dead end.

does it not tell you to show something? Sure one could find a formula without having something to aim for but I don't recall many questions not having that..
May the force be with you all
I have 2 days to prepare for FP3 and S2................
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
does it not tell you to show something? Sure one could find a formula without having something to aim for but I don't recall many questions not having that..

It does.

Given that In=0a(a2x2)ndx\displaystyle I_n=\displaystyle \int_0^a (a^2-x^2)^n \text{d}x where aa is a positive constant,

show that, for n>0n>0, In=2na22n+1In1I_n=\dfrac{2na^2}{2n+1}I_{n-1}.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lawlieto
May the force be with you all
I have 2 days to prepare for FP3 and S2................

Same. I'm actually learning a lot of it in those 2 days too :/.
Reply 469
I'm rekt for my Physics A level as well as this module. :lol:
Same. I'm actually learning a lot of it in those 2 days too :/.

I did S2 and FP3 in May last time... I kind of forgot a lot, I had 9 exams in the meantime, I was concentrating on those...
S2 is kind of ok i think, 1 day is probably enough but FP3 is a different thing
how important is S2/FP3 for meeting your offer?
Original post by lawlieto
I did S2 and FP3 in May last time... I kind of forgot a lot, I had 9 exams in the meantime, I was concentrating on those...
S2 is kind of ok i think, 1 day is probably enough but FP3 is a different thing
how important is S2/FP3 for meeting your offer?

I don't know. 50% of me thinks I have met the A* requirement in Chemistry in which case I only need to get a C in S2 or A in Fp3 (UC originally) to get an A overall.
But if I need an A* then one of them will have to be over 90%.
It does.

Given that In=0a(a2x2)ndx\displaystyle I_n=\displaystyle \int_0^a (a^2-x^2)^n \text{d}x where aa is a positive constant,

show that, for n>0n>0, In=2na22n+1In1I_n=\dfrac{2na^2}{2n+1}I_{n-1}.

This was a tricky one somewhat (I haven't spent all this time trying to do it lol, to clarify)
Use difference of two squares, that's the starting point
Original post by Takis6666
Sir i still didnt get why we put a in the formula instead of one... in my mind a i see that with a single pi a full circle is formed 🤔?

Oooh Sir? :biggrin: haha I'm a student. The 2pi is always there. If you have the edexcel FP3 textbook there's a short derivation of the formula if you're confused about where the 2pi comes from. It's page 82 but you can probably find a better and more complete version online. You don't need to know how to derive for the exam don't worry :smile:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
This was a tricky one somewhat (I haven't spent all this time trying to do it lol, to clarify)
Use difference of two squares, that's the starting point

I don't see why you need to use the difference of two squares. I did by leaving it as it was and it took less than half a page.
Learning Fp3 atm

It's not a dead end. Try and split it up. If you're really stuck I have the solution but it's always better to try your best to solve it first.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not a dead end. Try and split it up.

I asked on whatsapp and Euclidean has done it if anyone's interested.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I asked on whatsapp and Euclidean has done it if anyone's interested.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Huh I did it a slightly different way. image.jpg
Huh I did it a different way. image.jpg

The versatility of mathematics :tongue:
Original post by Euclidean
The versatility of mathematics :tongue:

True that. I've always done problems like that by putting it in a form that would merge with what's next to it and then add or subtract what I added.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending