The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
It was an exciting night. First Sunderland shocked everybody, then Glasgow put Remain in front, then it was an long uninterrupted string of 60% Leave victories in every English market towns. When I saw that Liverpool and Manchester only voted Remain by 60%, I knew it was over. Finally, Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham backing Leave nailed the coffin.

Believe it or not, I skimmed through your entire running commentary as soon as I woke up. It was heartbreaking.

Original post by Josb
It's worrying indeed. I don't see him as a competent guy. Gove could be better but is unpopular.

Perhaps there should be a national union government with Labour?

I don't see this is as very realistic. The "Leave" MPs will want to have (and can have) a "Leave" PM, so I think it is likely to have someone like Boris Johnson, running the country unelected by the people.

Basically the situation we have is that our Houses of Parliament's elected representatives were overwhelmingly in favour of Remain but have been told by half of the public to vote Leave. Our PM has resigned, leaving a vacuum at the top. There will be a Tory leadership election which will probably return Johnson as PM. Johnson will then have to decide whether to trigger Article 50 or call another election. The evidence is that he does not want to trigger Article 50 as he does not have a plan for Brexit (his original proposal was to use a leave vote to renegotiate with Brussels and have a second referendum (FFS!) but the Leave voters were not voting for that. It is an almighty c*ck-up.
Reply 261
There was a reason why referendum occurred. If the effects of it will be terrible then it is not peoples but the government's fault because THEY are responsible for the consequences. It is THEIR JOB so they must be educated and responsible about it.
Original post by ~scorpio~
Voted leave. Students may get their bursaries and grants back, funding for NHS and more work available. School places free up. We can get on the property ladder easily now. Control of who gets into our country, so less threat from terrorism and people wont be coming here for benefits. The EU is £30 billion in debt. It will get worst when Turkey and Albania join. We are better off. I can understand how those who have big businesses may be affected by the trade movement but the British people have had enough of this government.

Turkey isn't joining for christ sake - their application has made no advances whatsoever in the past few decades, they're nowhere near joining - this has been made clear repeatedly over the past months.
Reply 263
Original post by Yellow 03

I don't see this is as very realistic. The "Leave" MPs will want to have (and can have) a "Leave" PM, so I think it is likely to have someone like Boris Johnson, running the country unelected by the people.

Basically the situation we have is that our Houses of Parliament's elected representatives were overwhelmingly in favour of Remain but have been told by half of the public to vote Leave. Our PM has resigned, leaving a vacuum at the top. There will be a Tory leadership election which will probably return Johnson as PM. Johnson will then have to decide whether to trigger Article 50 or call another election. The evidence is that he does not want to trigger Article 50 as he does not have a plan for Brexit (his original proposal was to use a leave vote to renegotiate with Brussels and have a second referendum (FFS!) but the Leave voters were not voting for that. It is an almighty c*ck-up.

I mean Labour voters pushed for Leave. There could be an agreement between Brexiters across parties, although it's unlikely considering the overwhelming support for Remain among Labour MPs, but also among Tory MPs.

I don't see how a parliament which backed remain by more than 80% can go through a Brexit. Cameron should have called new elections. Tories would have kept their majority as UKIP would continue to split the working class vote.

I hope that the Tories have a better option than Boris. Their lack of communication on what they would do in case of Brexit has been terrible.
Original post by ?Hannah
Agh, get away from this pessimism. It hasn't been 24 hours yet.. Politicians said that the short term effects would be bad, but the long term effects will be better than that of remaining in the EU.

Politicians say a lot of things, not many of them are truthful
It is undeniable that the UK got funds from the EU which it will now have to replace. To do that it would have to increase government spending. Government spending is primarily from taxes. Meanwhile, many immigrant workers, employees and employers, who boost the UK's GDP and pay taxes will choose to leave. So it is very possible that there will be a problem.
Original post by thecsstudent
Politicians say a lot of things, not many of them are truthful

Good point, I have been trying to highlight the exact same point as you. I made the mistake of generalising my comment. But, if that is the only information that the general public has been provided from members of society who are supposed to have 'authority,' then surely it would have impacted a lot of votes.
The EU wont survive this.
Reply 268
Original post by HarryScotchy
I think everything will improve. Jeremy Corbyn voted out me thinks. He didn't really want to stay in the eu and so he half-heartedly started campaigning a few days ago for leave. He should stay as leader of Labour Party though.

Yes, it was quite clear he was out, and I think that swayed voters, hence the IN labour MPs are very upset!

It is undeniable that the UK got funds from the EU which it will now have to replace. To do that it would have to increase government spending. Government spending is primarily from taxes. Meanwhile, many immigrant workers, employees and employers, who boost the UK's GDP and pay taxes will choose to leave. So it is very possible that there will be a problem.

Er, the funds the UK got from the EU, were the funds that the UK gave to the EU. My understanding is £350m a week is given to the EU by us, the EU pools this money with other countries contributions, then shares it out where it is needed. Less developed economies take more than they put in, more developed ones take less, we put in £350 and get returned £175m and are told how to spend it.
Reply 269
It is undeniable that the UK got funds from the EU which it will now have to replace. To do that it would have to increase government spending. Government spending is primarily from taxes.

Or from the money the UK gave to the EU...

Meanwhile, many immigrant workers, employees and employers, who boost the UK's GDP and pay taxes will choose to leave.

Considering the economic doldrums in most of Europe, high profile immigrants from the EU will stay. French, Spanish, or Italian expats won't find a better job in their country.
Reply 270
Original post by ManThatCan
The EU wont survive this.

I'm with you there. The EU was already struggling, one of its largest net givers has just left, I would be surprised if neither a good number of key nations also left, or we don't actually end up leaving. When we leave, either it will mean the less developed countries get less of a handout and get restless, the more developed ones have to commit even more and get even more eurosceptic, or the economic decline of the EU hastens even further. It is in disarray, Polish PM comes out with
"The result of the British referendum is primarily a result of the crises which have been taking place in the EU for some time, and which have not been resolved," Szydło told a press conference."They could not be solved by European politicians, and were simply swept under the carpet."
And all the other leaders coming out with the same rubbish. Right, that's funny, when we were wanting reforms and saying there was a crisis you told us to get lost.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Turkey isn't joining for christ sake - their application has made no advances whatsoever in the past few decades, they're nowhere near joining - this has been made clear repeatedly over the past months.

David Cameron was negotiating with Turkey, he lied through his teeth thought the campaign. He's deceived the public and it backfired at him
Original post by ~scorpio~
David Cameron was negotiating with Turkey, he lied through his teeth thought the campaign. He's deceived the public and it backfired at him

You're thinking of the leave campaign. £350m a week for the NHS? yeah, we don't actually have it. You have to fulfill a load of criteria for accession into the EU, Turkey had managed just a hand full and were moving further away from reaching them.
All the people saying Scotland wont vote for independence due to it being a poor economic decision.

WELL IT DIDN'T STOP US.
Reply 274
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You're thinking of the leave campaign. £350m a week for the NHS? yeah, we don't actually have it. You have to fulfill a load of criteria for accession into the EU, Turkey had managed just a hand full and were moving further away from reaching them.

Why do people insist Turkey would never join? You have no more fact behind this than those saying they are certain. You insist Turkey would not join because it would make no economic sense. It made no economic sense to let half the eastern europeans join. They were added for purely political reasons. Just as Turkey will be (in my opinion). I also find it interesting these people who call you racist for saying allowing the smaller economic countries into the EU hurt it, don't claim that it is racist not wanting Turkey in, just that it won't happen.

Both sides lie. I am sorry, it is absolutely dreadful, but I have eventually come to the realisation in my life that that is politics. I hate our country and every other country for that being the case. I hate that I don't feel there is anything I can do about that. Quite frankly however, if you took anything each side said as genuine without research, you were naive. David Cameron lied in the GE when he said they would reduce immigration, so we know he has the capability.

Whichever way you look at it, the remain campaign was dreadful, and at such a close margin, I'm positive it was the actual remain campaign that lost the votes in the end, rather than Brexit earning them.
OMG, how pathetic is that...? Leave voters regret voting leave when they realise it means we are now leaving. Seriously?

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/leave-voter-regrets-voting-leave-when-he-realises-it-means-were-now-leaving--Z1btq_FnVW
Original post by Algren
Why do people insist Turkey would never join? You have no more fact behind this than those saying they are certain. You insist Turkey would not join because it would make no economic sense. It made no economic sense to let half the eastern europeans join. They were added for purely political reasons. Just as Turkey will be (in my opinion). I also find it interesting these people who call you racist for saying allowing the smaller economic countries into the EU hurt it, don't claim that it is racist not wanting Turkey in, just that it won't happen.

No I didn't. I insist turkey wouldn't join because it doesn't fulfil the vast majority of the criteria that you need to to join the EU, and that was before it started to slip back from meeting those under its current government. I don't insist turkey won't join because it doesn't make economic sense, I insist turkey won't join because you need to be a modern progressive democracy to join and turkey isn't anywhere near that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 277
The reality is both sides have consequences and I am sure the voters appreciated that, not only that if everyone had voted to stay I am certain there would be this same posts saying the UK is "destroyed" by a brexit campaigner who think the same but in the opposite direction. Basically the effects wold have been reflected in the same ways no matter what happened.
#Brexitters https://instagram.com/p/BHEc2tiAGtS/

"All teh immigrants r taken over our johbs!! "
Original post by 16characterlimit
All the people saying Scotland wont vote for independence due to it being a poor economic decision.

WELL IT DIDN'T STOP US.

Yeah but we're talking about Scots.

Latest

Trending

Trending