The Student Room Group

16-17 year old's protest after being blocked from the EU referendum

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Too easily influenced by their teachers, not enough real world experience. However, I agree that some 16 year olds are very capable of using their vote wisely

Perhaps we should allow 16 year olds to vote, provided they pass a political knowledge test? I suppose that could include some bias, so maybe an IQ test would do nearly as well

Spoiler

It really could've altered the result of all this EU noise and it would make all the "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN" arguments on my Facebook wall feel less grating...

On the flip-side a girl in my year made a tweet saying she didn't realise we were in Europe because she thought we were our own country sooo....idk.

Too easily influenced by their teachers, not enough real world experience. However, I agree that some 16 year olds are very capable of using their vote wisely

Perhaps we should allow 16 year olds to vote, provided they pass a political knowledge test? I suppose that could include some bias, so maybe an IQ test would do nearly as well

If we were doing that for 16 year olds I'd have testing expanded to include everybody that wants to vote. Some 40+ year olds I know are a bit dense (see: my uncle who believes in the Illuminati and thinks council tax is illegal)
Reply 3
I cant understand how brexiters are so against 16 year olds. They just dont want to face the facts that the old wrinkly folk and the working class racists are the reason LEAVE won. Remain was backed by the intellects and the younger generation who are the future of this country.

I agree. Not the easily swayed by teachers bit, I don't think that has much of an effect.

Some of us are just to immature to make a sensible decision. Yes, I'm disappointed I missed out on the vote.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Too many idiots our age influenced by left wing social media, no thanks
Original post by Retired_Messiah
It really could've altered the result of all this EU noise and it would make all the "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN" arguments on my Facebook wall feel less grating...

On the flip-side a girl in my year made a tweet saying she didn't realise we were in Europe because she thought we were our own country sooo....idk.

If we were doing that for 16 year olds I'd have testing expanded to include everybody that wants to vote. Some 40+ year olds I know are a bit dense (see: my uncle who believes in the Illuminati and thinks council tax is illegal)

I'm 16 and I understand what's happening right now. I think schools should teach us more about politics.

Spoiler

I agree, a simple assessment should suffice in allowing us to cast a vote for OUR futures...
Original post by saraxh
I'm 16 and I understand what's happening right now. I think schools should teach us more about politics.

Spoiler

I'm 17 and I felt I had more idea of what was going on than my mother, but yet it was her that got to vote. In the end tho we'd end up with a lot of clueless people as well so idk. It's a bit of a flaw in democracy, really. People that don't know anything have a vote that's worth the same as people that actually know what they're doing with their vote.

Spoiler

Original post by Questioness
I agree. Not the easily swayed by teachers bit, I don't think that has much of an effect.

So of us are just to immature to make a sensible decision. Yes, I'm disappointed I missed out on the vote.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Perhaps we should allow 16 year olds to vote, ... so maybe an IQ test

If you want us to return to Action T4 then sure. Why not?
''Old people without degrees are not clever enough to make decisions, but kids who haven't even passed their GCSE's should be given a voice''
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
''Old people without degrees are not clever enough to make decisions, but kids who haven't even passed their GCSE's should be given a voice''

There are plenty of the adult population without qualifications that are still capable of voting. Why not 17 year olds?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm 17 and I felt I had more idea of what was going on than my mother, but yet it was her that got to vote. In the end tho we'd end up with a lot of clueless people as well so idk. It's a bit of a flaw in democracy, really. People that don't know anything have a vote that's worth the same as people that actually know what they're doing with their vote.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Questioness
There are plenty of the adult population without qualifications that are still capable of voting.

Having life experience is more important then being educated.

Spoiler

gcse grades dont neccesarily matter when it comes to politics

the majority of 16 and 17 years are too brainshwashed and can be easily infulenced thus making the result not as accurate as possible

judging from what youve just wrote, your the type of 16 who would skew the output of a vote
Would have voted remain x
Just loving the way we've all been pinned as brainwashed; naive and easily impressionable.

Great :colonhash:.

Quick Reply