The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

The annoying thing with PHYA5 thread is that everybody does different option so it becomes chaotic lol
Original post by ChillGod
Look in the unit 4 park of the formula sheet - electric fields. W=QV.

It's the same just different symbols. Work done and energy is the same. Remember energy is defined as the ability to do work. V is the potential difference. e is the charge, Q.

Formula just changed to fit electrons in a field.

Where is this from?
Original post by C0balt
The annoying thing with PHYA5 thread is that everybody does different option so it becomes chaotic lol

I agree, and the boundaries are really high because less people do each module.

If anyone is asking a question about an optional unit can you please state which unit as to not confuse others. Thanks
Original post by Mango Milkshake
the boundaries are really high because less people do each module.

wut?
Original post by MintyMilk
wut?

The less people that do a paper, the higher the boundaries, usually.
Where is this from?

The 1/2mvsquared=eV that he's on about us in the 5D section of the formula sheet.

In answer to your other post, 5D physics is mid 50s for an A I think, think it's fairly normal/low?
Original post by ChillGod
The 1/2mvsquared=eV that he's on about us in the 5D section of the formula sheet.

In answer to your other post, 5D physics is mid 50s for an A I think, think it's fairly normal/low?

Well phya4 is about 49-52 for an A so it's definitely a bit higher
June 2015: Option D TURNING POINTS

Can anyone explain what they did here?
Reply 228
The problem lies in that as there are few people taking each module, the spread of data used to create grade boundaries is smaller and hence outliers pose more of an effect. So the smaller spread would mean there's an equal likelihood of boundaries being lower or higher than otherwise as outliers can be of either end. Don't assume they're just higher because of it.
Well phya4 is about 49-52 for an A so it's definitely a bit higher

I see your point, with physics I think people are more motivated to do well as they would have dropped it at AS if they couldn't hack it or if it wasn't needed for uni.

I've looked at 5Ds boundaries since 2011, 53/54 has been an A* until last year and 2011 where suddenly it was an the boundary for an A.
Does anybody have the original 2015 paper before it got replaced due to theft?
Original post by C0balt
Does anybody have the original 2015 paper before it got replaced due to theft?

I don't but my teachers said it was very similar so not sure you are missing out on much. AQA made it similar to try and catch who cheated notice the "ELEVATE IF..." comments on the markscheme
Original post by Music With Rocks
I don't but my teachers said it was very similar so not sure you are missing out on much. AQA made it similar to try and catch who cheated notice the "ELEVATE IF..." comments on the markscheme

Oh is that what elevate was for, I was wondering what that meant lol
Reply 234
Question 4c) on http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF Jun11 PHYA5/1 question about whether the temperature of water will be higher or lower if happens in uninsulated container in a room that's at 25C. The original temperature was 38C. I put lower as uninsulated and thermal equilibrium but the mark scheme says the following: the temperature would be higher: as the ice/water spends more time below 25°Cor heat travels in the direction from hot to coldor ice/water first gains heat then loses heatany one line and I don't understand why.
Original post by MintyMilk
Theft?

These are replacement papers as they say R at the end.

Last year some papers were stolen from a van and physics unit 5 was one of the stolen ones so they had to give replacement papers and some centres sat original and some sat the R papers. On AQA website there are only R papers for 2015.
Just going over all the topics before I crack on with past papers, I love the fact that there are no other papers scheduled around this paper, I can just focus on just physics!!

Can someone answer me why for electron scattering we use lambda=hc/E to determine wavelength rather than de broglie equation? I would have thought as its and electron we would have to use Lambda=h/mv, or are they the same thing but rearranged somehow?

Oh and am I right in thinking the reason electrons need to be fast enough for relativistic phenomena to come into play is because they only display wave like properties at this speed?

Thanks for any help!
A cup contains 0.25 kg of water at a temperature of 15 °C. The water is heated bypassing steam at 100 °C into it. specific heat capacity of water = 4200 J kgñ1 Kñ1specific latent heat of vaporisation of water = 2.3 × 106 J kgñ1boiling point of water = 100 °C (i) Use the above data to calculate the minimum mass of water that is in the cupwhen the temperature of the water reaches its boiling point. Hey guys can someone explain why the minimum mass is 0.25+m found by Q=ml not 0.25-m?
Original post by Lili1998
A cup contains 0.25 kg of water at a temperature of 15 °C. The water is heated bypassing steam at 100 °C into it. specific heat capacity of water = 4200 J kgñ1 Kñ1specific latent heat of vaporisation of water = 2.3 × 106 J kgñ1boiling point of water = 100 °C (i) Use the above data to calculate the minimum mass of water that is in the cupwhen the temperature of the water reaches its boiling point. Hey guys can someone explain why the minimum mass is 0.25+m found by Q=ml not 0.25-m?

Firstly is the answer 0.29kg?

You add the mass as its the mass of steam that has converted to water in heating the water.
Original post by philo-jitsu
Firstly is the answer 0.29kg?

You add the mass as its the mass of steam that has converted to water in heating the water.

Ohh okay yup that's the answer. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest