The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Ah, stuff like that only cost you 1 mark or so and you do it on OCR MEI, don't you? They've got reasonable boundaries, from what I recall - I'm sure you'll find that you've done surprisingly fine. :smile:

Spoiler

Add up all those 1 marks for stupid things though plus flunking an entire question and suddenly I'm at 57/72 :lol:

Spoiler

Side note: all of you on here are some of the nicest people I've ever spoken to, really. A huge thank you to everyone for all the help, support and kind words :h: you all deserve the best in the future, wherever you go and whatever you do
Original post by felecita
Non-MEI :tongue: Our paper wasn't too bad, timing was what screwed me over most I think. Extra 10 mins and I think I'd have been able to gain another 8 marks or so. Cursing myself for messing up a simple parts question, wrote 1x3\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]x} as x−3x^{-3} in the initial v' sub so had to redo the whole thing which took a while. Finding the mistake and fixing that probably took me 10 mins so not a good move.

I heard a lot of bad things about the MEI paper from friends, so you never know about the boundaries and I'm sure you will have done better than you think, once you look back on it with a clear head after a few days! Best of luck for all your subjects, I know the feeling of dreading results day now but you have an offer for a reason, you're capable of meeting it and I'm sure you will.

Yeah, feeling rushed is the worst :frown:

I guess all you can do is try to put it out of your mind and focus on something else - not particularly helpful advice I know, I've been on the receiving end of it a few times this year, but it's probably true

Yeah, the trouble with MEI papers is that my impression of how hard they are/how well I've done doesn't seem to correlate with the grade boundaries particularly well - more often than not the grade boundaries are significantly higher or lower than I expected :frown:
Original post by EricPiphany
Hahahahahahaha...
Tbh the scariest thing about this is boris as pm

Feel the same about Boris

Boris Johnson + Donald Trump in power = :afraid:
Side note: all of you on here are some of the nicest people I've ever spoken to, really. A huge thank you to everyone for all the help, support and kind words :h: you all deserve the best in the future, wherever you go and whatever you do

Hey I'm sorry to hear that you feel C4 didn't go to well for you :/ It didn't go too well for me either and this paper (edexcel) was deemed to be one of the easier ones :redface:
But keep up the hope and don't give up just yet! You never know what you'll see on results day :h:

Hopefully it all turns out well for all of us :yes:
Original post by physicsmaths
Well I underperfomed in step personally by doing easy questions at the end and running out of time etc but I could get SS or high 1,1 so not too sure but It should be enough to get in which is obviously the main aim haha.
AFM has gone good, kinda made stupid mistakes in M5 so probs got a low A bit tis good since M3-4 were probably 100 so AFM should be ok for A*. Physics U4 went great n i think i got around the A* so i need the 110/120 for A* in U5 and lile 98 for an A ish so surprisingly I 'may' meet my a level offer and miss my step one. Weird since i was more confident about step. Atleast nothing has gone bad. Hope its enough n i dnt get rejected if i got 1,1 then I would be gutted. 2 left now U5 and D2.

Unlucky mate but I'm sure even if you just miss it, they can make an exception for your other maths achievements like Trinity Camp. Nice I've got FP3 S2 and U5

Maybe it's for the best, I always had this worry that Cambridge wouldn't be right for me. I feel like I somehow blagged my way through the admissions process and in reality, I don't have that hard-working, in love with my subject personality that everyone seems to have :dontknow: I'll still be disappointed of course, but maybe slightly relieved.

Method marks are my only hope right now :lol: with those, decent boundaries and a huge amount of luck I might just scrape a 90.

One more, S3 next Wednesday! Haven't actually had time to do many papers yet so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Kind of unmotivated to revise as almost all my friends are finished now and I think I did well enough on M2/S2/FP3 but I'd like to finish with a good exam so I'd better hit the past papers :h: you?

We'll have to see what happens anyway :smile: Good luck with S3!

I've still got FP3, S2 and Physics Unit 5 to go. There is so little motivation to revise :argh:
Original post by Serine Soul

#ShouldHaveGoneToCanada

fml

Actually just watched part of his speech... not that bad...
Original post by Student403
#ShouldHaveGoneToCanada

fml

Ikr

Justin Trudeau seems like a proper safe guy

Canada seems like a really chilled country
Ikr

I love that guy so much. He speaks so well and he seems to know exactly what he's doing.
Ikr

Have you been there? It is great so beautiful in alberta and the rockies it is incredible. Yeh Canada seems like the best place to live. Hell you know canadas different when they have the defence minister as a sikh.
Have you been there? It is great so beautiful in alberta and the rockies it is incredible. Yeh Canada seems like the best place to live. Hell you know canadas different when they have the defence minister as a sikh.

And best of all they have JusReign

I've never been there, no, but it seems very peaceful, untroubled and very open and accepting :yes:
Ikr

Ikr. He actually seems to possess both common sense and decency. None of the shameless disgusting Donald Trump trash
Well there goes my offer after that C4 exam :lol: awkward when I get an A* in FM but not normal Maths

Hope everyone else's exams are going better than mine!

Spoiler

Big hugs, I know the feeling. :console:
My C3 was a disaster so I've definitely missed my offer despite C4 going really well today *sigh*

Fingers crossed they'll see sense and accept you on the basis of that A* in FM. Don't give up. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by krishdesai7
Ikr. He actually seems to possess both common sense and decency. None of the shameless disgusting Donald Trump trash

Lee Nelson is a bit annoying sometimes but this was entertaining (in Scotland today...at Trump's golf centre....btw well done to the Scottish for having a bit of sense)

https://youtu.be/Im1n_3ORK68
Original post by sayswho
My C3 was a disaster so I've definitely missed my offer despite C4 going really well today *sigh*

Fingers crossed they'll see sense and accept you on the basis of that A* in FM. Don't give up. Best of luck! :smile:

Make sure you send your UMS results on results day if you miss your offer. They usually look at them, and if they see that your C4 UMS is pretty good but you had not done well on C3, then that may also help. :smile:
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
Yeah, feeling rushed is the worst :frown:

I guess all you can do is try to put it out of your mind and focus on something else - not particularly helpful advice I know, I've been on the receiving end of it a few times this year, but it's probably true

Yeah, the trouble with MEI papers is that my impression of how hard they are/how well I've done doesn't seem to correlate with the grade boundaries particularly well - more often than not the grade boundaries are significantly higher or lower than I expected :frown:

I get so panicked when I realise I have no time left, then all I can think about is how I'm screwed and won't get into uni etc, so I sit there stressing with my hand shaking yet not writing :colonhash:

I'm really trying to go with that whole mentality, there's nothing I can do to change it now so it seems stupid to waste time stressing. However the fact I've just spent far too long averaging out 100, 90, 80 UMS boundaries since 2009 seems to contradict that idea :lol: though statistically, if grade boundaries are average and I get the marks which I think I got, I should just scrape an A* by the skin of my teeth. Except I thought that with C3 last year, was expecting ~95 before I got the paper mark and saw all my stupid mistakes.

MEI papers always look brutal, I did quite a few of them as practice for different modules :redface: personally I have this warped view of the difficulty of Maths exams, I expect them to be really easy (kinda C1 standard) to me since I do Further too, so when they're not so straightforward I always think it was a nasty paper, when in reality it was average.

Hey I'm sorry to hear that you feel C4 didn't go to well for you :/ It didn't go too well for me either and this paper (edexcel) was deemed to be one of the easier ones :redface:
But keep up the hope and don't give up just yet! You never know what you'll see on results day :h:

Hopefully it all turns out well for all of us :yes:

Thank you! Same goes for you, I'm sure your C4 went better than you think but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :h:
Original post by Student403
We'll have to see what happens anyway :smile: Good luck with S3!

I've still got FP3, S2 and Physics Unit 5 to go. There is so little motivation to revise :argh:

Thank you!

So many exams :afraid: remind me to stop moaning about the one I have left :lol: best of luck :biggrin:

Original post by sayswho

It's the worst isn't it :frown:
Chin up, you never know what method marks you may have picked up here and there or how the boundaries might turn out in your favour. I know all that may sound completely useless right now as people keep saying it to me but there is some truth behind it.

It feels stupid that I can get an A* in FM without getting an A* in Maths, what I'd give to be able to swap the modules over somehow! Thank you so much, hope the rest of your exams have go/go well :smile:
Thank you!

So many exams :afraid: remind me to stop moaning about the one I have left :lol: best of luck :biggrin:

It's the worst isn't it :frown:
Chin up, you never know what method marks you may have picked up here and there or how the boundaries might turn out in your favour. I know all that may sound completely useless right now as people keep saying it to me but there is some truth behind it.

It feels stupid that I can get an A* in FM without getting an A* in Maths, what I'd give to be able to swap the modules over somehow! Thank you so much, hope the rest of your exams have go/go well :smile:

Thanks and to you too!

Latest