The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z_o_e
Can you check my answers please question 16 A..
I can't decrease for some reason...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 221
Original post by 34908seikj

Don't I divide 2726 by 0.73?
Decrease?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Don't I divide 2726 by 0.73?
Decrease?

Posted from TSR Mobile

dividing by a number less than one would increase the number, multiplying a number less than one would decrease the number!
Reply 223
dividing by a number less than one would increase the number, multiplying a number less than one would decrease the number!

So if there's a decrease question.

If the decimal is bigger than 1st divide.

If it is smaller than 1 I multiply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Heya, my end of year exam is coming up and I'm doing higher and I'm getting D's I'm currently in year 10 and I know I can do better if I revise. Is anyone else willing to help me with a few questions ?

Hi,
I am a year 11 student and will be finishing my last exam soon. I used to struggle with maths a lot in year 9, but after practicing everyday- by buying maths' revision books and really learning the techniques, then try to find questions related to those topics and working them out, was a huge help. I never really did many past papers but I went from an F in year 9 to an A* now in year11, through just a lot of practice. But try to print yourself a booklet of past papers, pretend it's like a work book and work through it. Ask your teachers to mark them. It would surprise you with how effective it's at making you familiar with the formatting of exam paper (this is important).
I wish you the best and do great in your GCSE. As I have done my GCSE (almost), the experience is daunting but be prepared and work hard.
Original post by z_o_e
So if there's a decrease question.

If the decimal is bigger than 1st divide.

If it is smaller than 1 I multiply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. But it does depend on the question.
Reply 226
Yes. But it does depend on the question.

Heyaax

For this do I multiply or add the values to find the answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
HeyaaxFor this do I multiply or add the values to find the answers.Posted from TSR Mobile

For part A, multiply. For part B, multiply then add.
How'd the exam go?
Reply 228
How'd the exam go?

How do I know if it's multiply or add?

Terribly hard.
Lower bound and upper bound came up.
Locai.
Hard equations...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How do I know if it's multiply or add?

Terribly hard.
Lower bound and upper bound came up.
Locai.
Hard equations...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(part b) At least one of them is at school = 1 attends AND one doesn't

0.4*0.7 = 0.28 - probability of Bill attending WHEN Anna doesn't
0.6*0.3 = 0.18 - probability of Anna attending WHEN Bill doesn't

You multiply because it's conditional probability - The probability of the second event depends on the first event.

Now we add 0.28 and 0.18 together to get the final answer of 0.46

We add because it's independent from the first event - no matter what the first event is the second event will not be affected, if that makes sense.
Reply 230
How'd the exam go?

Can you check these please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Can you check these please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For A, you multiply not ADD because the probability of winning or not winning the second game depends on the outcome of the first game.

Instead of 0.4+0.4, it would be 0.4*0.4 = 0.16
Which you probably just wrote addition by mistake, given that you got the right answer!

Part B, You need, the probability he will win in game one * by the probability that he does not win game two.
Then you also need to probability he does not win a game * the probability that he wins a game. Then just add the two together to get your answer

P(W,NW) - Probability of winning then not winning. = 0.4*0.6 = 0.24
P(NW,W) - Probability of not winning then winning. 0.6*0.4=0.24

Then we add the two probability together since we want the probability he wins only one game, and there are only two paths, if you like (outcomes) that can lead to Neil only winning one game.

So, it's 0.24+0.24 = 0.48

2A) So it wants the probability that neither at school, the probability that Anna isn't at school is 0.4, and the probability that Bill isn't at school is 0.3

It's conditional probability, since the probability of Bill going to school (or not going to school) depends on what Anna does, therefore we multiply.

0.4*0.3 = 0.12 - Which is the final answer since that is the only path (outcome) in which both Anna and bill DON'T go to school.

2B) At least one of them goes to school.

So it wants to know the probability that what the probability of Anna going to school when Bill bill does not, and when Anna doesn't go to school, but Bill does.

(2 possible outcomes [paths])

P(A,DA) - Probability that Anna attends but Bill does not attend. = 0.6*0.3 = 0.18
P(DA,A) - Probability that Anna does not attend but Bill does attend = 0.4*0.7=0.28

Now we add the two possible outcomes together to get 0.18+0.28 = 0.46

(Which you got correct!)
Reply 232
For A, you multiply not ADD because the probability of winning or not winning the second game depends on the outcome of the first game.

Which you probably just wrote addition by mistake, given that you got the right answer!

Part B, You need, the probability he will win in game one * by the probability that he does not win game two.
Then you also need to probability he does not win a game * the probability that he wins a game. Then just add the two together to get your answer

Then we add the two probability together since we want the probability he wins only one game, and there are only two paths, if you like (outcomes) that can lead to Neil only winning one game.

2A) So it wants the probability that neither at school, the probability that Anna isn't at school is 0.4, and the probability that Bill isn't at school is 0.3

It's conditional probability, since the probability of Bill going to school (or not going to school) depends on what Anna does, therefore we multiply.

0.4*0.3 = 0.12 - Which is the final answer since that is the only path (outcome) in which both Anna and bill DON'T go to school.

So it wants to know the probability that what the probability of Anna going to school when Bill bill does not, and when Anna doesn't go to school, but Bill does.

P(A,DA) - Probability that Anna attends but Bill does not attend. = 0.6*0.3 = 0.18
P(DA,A) - Probability that Anna does not attend but Bill does attend = 0.4*0.7=0.28

(Which you got correct!)

Now I get it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233

(Which you got correct!)

So for this...
I want to do it myself but I need a bit of explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So for this...
I want to do it myself but I need a bit of explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile

A) Both disks are the same colour.

So what are the possible combinations of disk one and disk two having the same colour?

Well Disk one can be read, and disk two can be also red, as well as disk one being white and disk two also being white, we can notate this like so:

P(R,R)
P(W,W)

To work out the probability of them both being the same colour, you'll have to work out the probability of both red then both white, adding them together to get your final answer.

B) At least one of the disks was red.

Exactly the same thing as in part A. However Instead of working out the probability for R,R and W,W, you'll be trying to work out R,W and W,R
Reply 235
A) Both disks are the same colour.

So what are the possible combinations of disk one and disk two having the same colour?

Well Disk one can be read, and disk two can be also red, as well as disk one being white and disk two also being white, we can notate this like so:

P(R,R)
P(W,W)

To work out the probability of them both being the same colour, you'll have to work out the probability of both red then both white, adding them together to get your final answer.

B) At least one of the disks was red.

Exactly the same thing as in part A. However Instead of working out the probability for R,R and W,W, you'll be trying to work out R,W and W,R

I got this

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've messed up on the probabilities. Disk one, you say "6" for R and "3" for white... what does that mean, in terms of probability?

It should be 6/9 for red and 3/9 for white because you have 6 disk out of a total of 9 and the same applies to the white disks, 3 white disks out of 9 total.

So, disk one the probability of getting red is 6/9 and for white it is 3/9, which can be simplified to 1/3.

Try and do the questions again with the corrected probabilities, you method was right though.

A) R,R = 6/9 * 6/9 = 36/81
W,W = 3/9 * 3/9 = 9/81

(36+9)/81 = 45/81, Which can be simplified to 5/9.

Try it for part B!
Reply 237
You've messed up on the probabilities. Disk one, you say "6" for R and "3" for white... what does that mean, in terms of probability?

It should be 6/9 for red and 3/9 for white because you have 6 disk out of a total of 9 and the same applies to the white disks, 3 white disks out of 9 total.

So, disk one the probability of getting red is 6/9 and for white it is 3/9, which can be simplified to 1/3.

Try and do the questions again with the corrected probabilities, you method was right though.

A) R,R = 6/9 * 6/9 = 36/81
W,W = 3/9 * 3/9 = 9/81

(36+9)/81 = 45/81, Which can be simplified to 5/9.

Try it for part B!

I got this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which question is this? Why did you work out the probability for getting one red disk, then the probability of getting two white?
Reply 239
Which question is this? Why did you work out the probability for getting one red disk, then the probability of getting two white?

So I need to work out one red and one white and add them up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest