The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
Ruthless from Joker :tongue:

Just do what I do and move to America and become a rich business Psychologist :wink:

Even without Trump at the helm, it's hard to manufacture a move to the states numbnuts. Best setting up a fake marriage.
Reply 5981
[video="youtube;EAnfoYmdkYU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAnfoYmdkYU[/video]

"F*ck sake Rickon have you not seen Apocalypto". Lol'ing.
Was so pissed when Rickon was running from the arrows. I was like is this **** seriously running in a straight line.
Reply 5983
Ramsay's a clever bastard though (pun intended). Was toying with Jon by making him think there was a chance Rickon would survive and just ended it the last second.

Cant wait for the finale. TOJ reveal + King/Queen of the North + Kings Landing. + Bran.
Gon be good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5984
Does anyone actually believe Pistorius? Going on TV was a foolish mistake.
Nah he had previous. Don't know what his story is, but if he wakes up, his girl isn't next to him in bed, he gets up and sees someone's in the bathroom, yet logic dictates that its a burgler and the only course of action is to fire shots.
Original post by Zerforax
I saw an article which showed that areas which has a higher number of immigrant influx, were more in favour of remaining whereas areas which had less numbers of immigrants, were more in favour of leaving :rolleyes:

Similarly the older the voter, the higher the proportion of voting leave.

Cameron should've stayed and cut the pensions for all the old people out of spite.

People keep talking about the age devide.. but very few people are talking about the race devide.

as you say above - areas with high immigration voted much more in favour of staying in.. that coupled with polling beforehand, and my own perception would lead me to strongly believe that if we had the data, you would see an extraordinary split down racial lines when it comes to voting. oved

Its very clear that white british people voted hugely in favour of leaving - infact, I would go as far as saying if you removed the non-white votes, it would have been an absolute landslide victory for leave.

So many lines we are devided by now, and whilst very few are new - race, age scotland/england etc - they have all just become a little more serrious
Original post by Zerforax
You whole starting premise was that trying to make a decision within a big group isn't often possible so you shouldn't bother. I'm giving you the flip side when everyone else makes the effort to decide together whereas you want to go off and make your own decision - i.e. eat alone.

If you can't follow that, probably explains why you voted leave :awesome:

"the belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves"

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/democracy

Is that sufficiently looking up the definition? Was the first link on google for me.

How can you think it is less democratic to have everyone have a vote for themselves rather than elect someone to decide on their behalf?

No reason why, with the technology involved, that we're not able to make a democratic vote decision on matters other than voting in the general election and local elections etc a couple of times every 5 years.

I hope you don't go by that website. Even urban dictionary is more accurate. Wiki is always goat for these sort of things https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

If that dictionary is right then we live in an undemocratic world. No reasonable person has claimed that. My premise is reality- everyone wants different thing and would never be pleased. Your premise seems to believe that you can get ordinary people to compromise which is just fanciful Disney tale.

Look at what just happened we held a vote the result didn't please the minority now they want to force another vote. And your premise is that we should have another so we please them. Same thing happend at the last ge. How is anything going to get done? We'd still be debating how to deal with the recession. You can try and talk but people don't change their mind. That's reality. You'll be stuck in first gear forever.

I voted remain though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Even without Trump at the helm, it's hard to manufacture a move to the states numbnuts. Best setting up a fake marriage.

Mate pls, with the right experience and qualifications, you can go anywhere.

I'd (obviously) speak the language, have a masters degree and at least several years experience in my chosen field - making the move wouldn't be easy but that just means it's worth doing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Mate pls, with the right experience and qualifications, you can go anywhere.

I'd (obviously) speak the language, have a masters degree and at least several years experience in my chosen field - making the move wouldn't be easy but that just means it's worth doing.

Everyone speaks English and there's no demand for psychologists :holmes:
Original post by difeo
Everyone speaks English and there's no demand for psychologists :holmes:

Business is huge in America.
Psychology is huge in America.

Pls don't crush my dreams :frown:
Reply 5991
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Well I guess I can do that.
Reply 5992
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Nah he had previous. Don't know what his story is, but if he wakes up, his girl isn't next to him in bed, he gets up and sees someone's in the bathroom, yet logic dictates that its a burgler and the only course of action is to fire shots.

Fire 4 shots too. He was aiming to kill.
Morning referendum thoughts:

The more time that passes, the more hardcore remainers are pissing me off. At first it was their over dramatic reactions, but now its their seemingly utter determination and resolve that england MUST now fall. Im starting to feel like some voters actually want england to fail now, because they are so determined not to have their perception of the referendum shattered, and not to have to be wrong.

This whole F* * * the old thing is awful.

So many idiots on this forum with posts like:

'Why can 16 year olds vote, when 65+ year olds can????? its not fair!!! its our future!!!'

Spoiler

Original post by fallen_acorns
Morning referendum thoughts:

The more time that passes, the more hardcore remainers are pissing me off. At first it was their over dramatic reactions, but now its their seemingly utter determination and resolve that england MUST now fall. Im starting to feel like some voters actually want england to fail now, because they are so determined not to have their perception of the referendum shattered, and not to have to be wrong.

This whole F* * * the old thing is awful.

So many idiots on this forum with posts like:

'Why can 16 year olds vote, when 65+ year olds can????? its not fair!!! its our future!!!'

Spoiler

I agree. The way I see it is generally younger people are more optimistic and are more susceptible. I also think at times they have more of a laissez-faire attitude whilst I think older votes are in general a little more pessimistic in believing what rhetoric has been stated and therefore have more of a negative view to an extent, maybe due to past experiences.
That what I see anyway.
If you cannot be deemed responsible enough to drive yourself to a polling station what business have you got doing anything there. Not to mention this anti-EU old people narrative leaves out the fact these old people were the exact same ones who overwhelmingly voted pro-EU in the last referendum.

The real shame post referendum is the state of party politics here in the UK. We really need to ensure this exit is managed as well as possible and we have a leaderless Tory part, an SNP that isn't committed to the UK, and a Labour party that has been ineffective for going on a decade now. Can't believe I'm thinking it but I genuinely wish we still had Blair around. If we leave out the small matter of Iraq, as a leader he was head and shoulders above the clowns on offer now.

When you see how the world is reacting not just to the UK but to the effect on the EU, I just can't get over how stupid European leaders were to push Cameron so hard in those renegotiations. In such a close vote if he could have come home with something other than **** all this wouldn't have happened.
Original post by atom y humber
I hope you don't go by that website. Even urban dictionary is more accurate. Wiki is always goat for these sort of things https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

If that dictionary is right then we live in an undemocratic world. No reasonable person has claimed that. My premise is reality- everyone wants different thing and would never be pleased. Your premise seems to believe that you can get ordinary people to compromise which is just fanciful Disney tale.

Look at what just happened we held a vote the result didn't please the minority now they want to force another vote. And your premise is that we should have another so we please them. Same thing happend at the last ge. How is anything going to get done? We'd still be debating how to deal with the recession. You can try and talk but people don't change their mind. That's reality. You'll be stuck in first gear forever.

I voted remain though.

It's a dictionary? Your wiki link says exactly the same thing:

Democracy, or democratic government, is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly"

Maybe you just can't draw a distinction between a true democracy and the practicality issues that would come with it but my point is still valid.

Democracy isn't that we have to get everyone to agree on the same thing - usually it is that majority rules. I haven't said otherwise. I was just pointing out if you isolate yourself then you can't partake in the democratic discussion of at least having your opinion heard.

That's not my premise at all - the majority voted so we're going to have to live with it whether we like it or not. My point was more about someone like Luke who had the opportunity to vote but then decided not to - he can't (and isn't) then complain about the result. The same analogy extends to the EU - we're likely to still be bound by what they decide because of the linked benefits but now we won't be able to have any influence on it.

Seems like we've misunderstood each other.
Despite voting remain a second referendum that people are going wild for isn't going to happen. There's no political will for it.

Also lol @ Cornwall, overwhelmingly voted leave, has now been told it's going to lose £400million of funding for public projects by 2020 due to Brexit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466853670.715324.jpg

Best one I've seen so far
The most mind boggling decision is for Wales to vote leave. We get so much funding from the EU, as Westminster leaves us to rot. Asked an out voter why he voted that way and he replied with immigrants. Can honestly say that the amount of immigrants in Wales and the valleys, in particular, is exceptionally low. There's the odd Pole, but the ones I've come across are very hard working.

I love Wales and its people, but the older generation are so narrow minded and most are thick as ****. Can't critically evaluate and stuck in their 1970's mind sets.

Latest