The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
Mate, it's definitely worse.

A United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which is part of the European Union, versus England and Wales alone against the whole world? You know which is the stronger, more economically stable, more vibrant and more hopeful future for us. Glad we didn't **** it up - oh wait, yes we did.

Exactly. Great Britain is a geographical term referring to the largest island in the British Isles, if one of the countries on that island votes for independence from the rest then Great Britain as a nation ceases to exist.

So Nigel waving his passport around all week will mean nothing as there won't be a British nation to hold a passport for.

Maybe I'm just a sentimental **** but I don't see that as a good outcome.
Reply 81
Original post by JordanL_
"Turkey is going to join the EU and you'll never be able to get a job again, and there'll probably be terrorists coming over too

"Our NHS can't cope and it's falling to bits because of the EU"

"UNITED STATES OF EUROPE!!!!"

Yep, not giving in to fear mongers...

Out of interest how do you know that the NHS isn't being put under undue pressure by the very large number not only of immigrants but of others who come here knowing they are ill purely in order to seek treatment?

Even if this isn't currently true why is it unreasonable for someone to believe that it could easily become true in the near future if the population keeps rising by 3-500,000 a year and the Tories begin to make cut backs if only small ones.?
Original post by JamesN88
Exactly. Great Britain is a geographical term referring to the largest island in the British Isles, if one of the countries on that island votes for independence from the rest then Great Britain as a nation ceases to exist.

So Nigel waving his passport around all week will mean nothing as there won't be a British nation to hold a passport for.

Maybe I'm just a sentimental **** but I don't see that as a good outcome.

'Britain' actually refers to England and Wales.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moggis
Out of interest how do you know that the NHS isn't being put under undue pressure by the very large number not only of immigrants but of others who come here knowing they are ill purely in order to seek treatment?

Even if this isn't currently true why is it unreasonable for someone to believe that it could easily become true in the near future if the population keeps rising by 3-500,000 a year and the Tories begin to make cut backs if only small ones.?

Because 1. when an EU immigrant gets treatment on the NHS, their government pays.

2. EU immigrant contribute 34% more to the economy than they take in welfare and services. They more than cover their own costs, and cover the costs of the rest of our society too, since British natives are a net receiver.

The Tories are going to make cuts whether we're in the EU or not. That's our elected government, it has absolutely nothing to do with the EU or immigrants.

The difference is, when EU immigrants are making a net contribution of 34%, we actually have the money to put into the NHS if we elect a better government.

Can you read? BRITAIN refers to England and Wales. Notice there's no 'great' in that sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="16characterlimit;66088951"]
Original post by pickup

Only a small percent where directly after WW2, most define baby boomers as 1946-1964. They were favored once they grew up, You could live a middle class life with a factory job, enjoyed very confortable lives while wealth was concentrated in the west and faced little debt and inequality.

And I refer to the indigenous population, I don't think many Blacks, Irish, Chinese or Gays are the main voting bloc for leave.

So, let's examine this, too.

The first peak birth rates were around 1947-8 as the men came back from war. Birth rates were falling off from 1960. Even children born then would have had parents born pre and during WW2 ie in the 30s and 40s. Decades of extreme hardship and trauma, particularly for youngsters. ( We have always had large number of Irish working in the UK btw. )

The Sex Discrimination Act was 1975, the Sex Offences Act 1967, so baby boomers were between 15-30 for the first. The older ones would have had experienced lots of problems of unequal pay , discrimination etc. the younger ones too but less maybe.

The raising of the School leaving age to 16 was September 1972. so only the very youngest Baby boomers would have benefited. Children born upto and including August 1956 left at 15 in the main so no possibility of free GCSEs, A levels or higher education. Comprehensive schools came in largely in the 70s etc. far too late for many baby boomers.

The big expansion of higher education came later. Polys became Universities in 1992 - far too late to benefit any baby boomer.

I'm not sure what you define as a ' middle class life' but if you go to any industrial city you can see the living conditions even now. And, the worst of the housing has been knocked down. Rural poverty was terrible. Houses were still being built with outside loos. Back to backs were common place. Conditions in factories, mines, docks could be extremely dangerous before the Health and Safety Acts.

Central heating was rare, washing machines, fridges, TVs, cars too. Cancer was largely a death sentence.
Original post by Cluster1
Can you read? BRITAIN refers to England and Wales. Notice there's no 'great' in that sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can read and you're incorrect. Britain has never meant England and Wales.

If you use your reading skills you'll see its origins precede the above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_(place_name)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alextaylor6
Is this how stupid the remain voters are orrr..

Thanks but i didnt even vote
I am absolutely delighted at the result.

There was always going to be a loser of this vote, and that loser was always going to feel extremely bad about the result. On this occasion it is the Remain side, and I am sorry for how you feel. But I can't lie, I am so happy right now!
Original post by mediaya
Thanks but i didnt even vote

You're too young? Either way your still stupid lmao
I wanted for Britain to remain, when I found out this morning I felt like crap, got over it soon, after all if its leave then it's leave right, HOWEVER what really pisses me off is that all these politicians like Nigel Farage, Boris who were actively speaking up about Brexit, weren't even prepared. When you take this big of a decision you can't be thinking "oh we aren't gonna win anyways so let's just see what happens then we'll just bloody go with the flow", NO you need to have a clear vision of what the bloody heck you need to do to really make Britain 'great again' after we do leave the EU and right now they are just in dreamland saying yes we got our country back, well yeah alright now tell us how you plan on getting the power and voice we once had back, soon enough for it to not mess with people's lives. I'm not saying this is completely impossible but with people like the ones mentioned above who fought for this, yet still have no clue what they are doing...😔😒😒 it's unlikely for this to be a speedy recovery.
You're too young? Either way your still stupid lmao

Yh am too young to vote yet
How can asking a question be stupid? I didnt know means i didnt know so i asked. If i seem stupid to u because of asking a question, then every person on TSR is stupid for u, right? TBH, you are the one who look like an idiot to me right now coz TSR is made for people to ask questions and get info
I am sorry but u started it :frown:
One of my biggest fears about Brexit is that I personally believe that any future conservative government will slowly begin to diminish the rights we take for granted in the UK that are protected by the EU, particularly workers rights. Things such as equal pay, reducing gender inequality, safety in the workplace and working conditions, the use of sustainable materials/methods in businesses and the hiring of appropriately qualified persons for certain skilled jobs, funding for scientific research, how much paid leave we get and so on. The list is endless and I think soon businesses will begin to slowly ignore these regulations for greater profits and the conservatives will do nothing while allowing them to get away with 3% tax or less. Oh boy have I never wanted to be more wrong about anything in my life.
Original post by mediaya
Yh am too young to vote yet
How can asking a question be stupid? I didnt know means i didnt know so i asked. If i seem stupid to u because of asking a question, then every person on TSR is stupid for u, right? TBH, you are the one who look like an idiot to me right now coz TSR is made for people to ask questions and get info
I am sorry but u started it :frown:

You asked if we are deporting immigrants, yeah mate we are just gonna deport an entirety of the population for no reason
Original post by Mariah.R
I wanted for Britain to remain, when I found out this morning I felt like crap, got over it soon, after all if its leave then it's leave right, HOWEVER what really pisses me off is that all these politicians like Nigel Farage, Boris who were actively speaking up about Brexit, weren't even prepared. When you take this big of a decision you can't be thinking "oh we aren't gonna win anyways so let's just see what happens then we'll just bloody go with the flow", NO you need to have a clear vision of what the bloody heck you need to do to really make Britain 'great again' after we do leave the EU and right now they are just in dreamland saying yes we got our country back, well yeah alright now tell us how you plan on getting the power and voice we once had back, soon enough for it to not mess with people's lives. I'm not saying this is completely impossible but with people like the ones mentioned above who fought for this, yet still have no clue what they are doing...😔😒😒 it's unlikely for this to be a speedy recovery.

Its already recovering lol, and our next step is sort out deals with EU. You have to remember Dave stepped down, other politicians have a vague idea of what we need to do, but He was meant to have the plan. He's left us like a pussy because he didn't want to deal with it. Borris or Nigel wouldn't be a bad alternative
You asked if we are deporting immigrants, yeah mate we are just gonna deport an entirety of the population for no reason

Thank you very much for the sarcastic answer, at least i know now and i will give u a rep for that
I'm pretty happy, actually. Get ****ed :smile:
It's about time those unhappy with the vote result realised there's no free lunch in this world. Once the attitudes of the natives change and they work hard, they will once again attract top foreign investors into the country. That's how the Far East grew for 40 years, and they're still growing because their people maintain this disciplined way of thinking.
Reply 99
Proud of London, we the real MVP :h:

Seriously though I agree with OP and am worried about my future 10-15 years down the line, we were only just recovering from 2008 crisis and now this.

Imagine as part of the negotiations we decide enter the single market and we retain free movement of goods and workers

Latest

Trending

Trending