The Student Room Group

Sick of London-centric news

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drogon
This is why i hate everything outside london. Go ride your horses then, dont come into this city.

:rofl: more like,wait an hour for the one and only bus to pass
Original post by queen-bee

It isn't a problem when you own a car and park it off-road. I don't want to even wait 5 minutes for a bus.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
It isn't a problem when you own a car and park it off-road. I don't want to even wait 5 minutes for a bus.

That's why a car is a must outside of London but in London,the transport won't keep you waiting unless there's delays
That's why a car is a must outside of London but in London,the transport won't keep you waiting unless there's delays

It's about a 5-10 minute wait, regardless of this, surely you prefer your own vehicle you can choose, which doesn't smell or have other people you don't like inside it.
If there is one thing I am finding increasingly difficult to stomach, it's how obsessed with big city cosmopolitan Britain the media is. Leave won, grow some balls and suck it up, what I do not for one second want to see when I turn on the television is some ''urban yewt'' talking about how we need ''more awareness'' taught in schools.

Britain is a green and pleasant land for people who ride horses, it's not a nation of concrete jungle dwelling chavs who need to have their asses wiped by the government at every stage of their lives.

@cookie123456789

I went there after the vote. Granted, to my favourite bit of it, but I still can't stand the place and the whole vibe, which is always portrayed like you're a provincial. I like Paris a lot, would probably like some US cities as well, but I hate London.
We are separate nations now, the whole media and political class talks to itself anyway, and knows whats best for everyone, they are not even interested in an objective consideration of other views, what could be more provincial than that?
It would be bad enough anyway in terms of media and politics, but when you have a wealth divide and regional one like we do and they are all in one city, it's dire. I see demographics and climate change as shifting power north though in the future, rebalancing things. If London does get some kind of devolution, we have to make sure they don't parasitically suck the wealth from everyone else, whilst sneering at all the 'provincials'.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I went there after the vote. Granted, to my favourite bit of it, but I still can't stand the place and the whole vibe, which is always portrayed like you're a provincial. I like Paris a lot, would probably like some US cities as well, but I hate London.
We are separate nations now, the whole media and political class talks to itself anyway, and knows whats best for everyone, they are not even interested in an objective consideration of other views, what could be more provincial than that?
It would be bad enough anyway in terms of media and politics, but when you have a wealth divide and regional one like we do and they are all in one city, it's dire. I see demographics and climate change as shifting power north though in the future, rebalancing things. If London does get some kind of devolution, we have to make sure they don't parasitically suck the wealth from everyone else, whilst sneering at all the 'provincials'.

Londoners think that there is a London and that outside London everyone is this austere culturally deprived yokel. The fact of the matter is, most cities in the UK I've been to have their own unique vibe, places like Manchester and Birmingham are very urban, but they don't wear their ignorance like a badge of honour as per the Londoners.
Londoners think that there is a London and that outside London everyone is this austere culturally deprived yokel. The fact of the matter is, most cities in the UK I've been to have their own unique vibe, places like Manchester and Birmingham are very urban, but they don't wear their ignorance like a badge of honour as per the Londoners.

I get the feeling Birmingham is really diverse, but more down to earth. Leicester even has tons of Hindu culture, and Caribbean too. Londoners talk a lot of shite, some parts are gorgeous but it is self-congratulatory, overrated and priced, self important and inhuman too. The prevailing sense I get in large parts is how bloody miserable it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I get the feeling Birmingham is really diverse, but more down to earth. Leicester even has tons of Hindu culture, and Caribbean too. Londoners talk a lot of shite, some parts are gorgeous but it is self-congratulatory, overrated and priced, self important and inhuman too. The prevailing sense I get in large parts is how bloody miserable it is.

Truer words were never spoken, diversity is wonderful when it's done right. The point regarding how inhuman it is resonates with me.
Reply 28
Original post by BrightonDunkley
Unfortunately London simply isn't British anymore thus isn't representative of the views of the general population.

It's really depressing walking around London nowadays I'm sure our ancestors would be truly horrified by what it's become.

Why do you think they'd be horrified?
Reply 29
London makes up around 15% of the UK population. The next largest urban area makes up around 4%. To me it seems reasonable we see more news from London than other cities, especially considering it is where our parliament is based, our stock exchange, our central courts etc.
WHY WAS i TAGGED IN THIS?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!
Original post by Dheorl
London makes up around 15% of the UK population. The next largest urban area makes up around 4%. To me it seems reasonable we see more news from London than other cities, especially considering it is where our parliament is based, our stock exchange, our central courts etc.

15% of the population. 22% of GDP.

Subsidizes all of the poor areas that voted Leave.
Original post by DorianGrayism
15% of the population. 22% of GDP.

Subsidizes all of the poor areas that voted Leave.

The problem is the government doesn't invest properly to re-balance the economy so London effectively sucks the life out of the rest of the country. This is why I'm opposed to HS2 as it'll effectively turn the Midlands into a dormitory for the capital.

The worst thing about leaving is the areas that voted for it the heaviest will get hit the hardest if the economy suffers.
Original post by JamesN88
The problem is the government doesn't invest properly to re-balance the economy so London effectively sucks the life out of the rest of the country. This is why I'm opposed to HS2 as it'll effectively turn the Midlands into a dormitory for the capital.

The worst thing about leaving is the areas that voted for it the heaviest will get hit the hardest if the economy suffers.

Totally agree. London takes out a huge amount of money.

The North South divide will only continue to grow.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Totally agree. London takes out a huge amount of money.

The North South divide will only continue to grow.

It's polarised people everywhere unfortunately. A lot of the In/Out areas were only split marginally and you've got areas that voted heavily in opposite directions next door to each other.
Reply 35

Bus? You mean their horse and carriages right? everything above the M4 is just farmland feeding us Londoners
Original post by drogon
Bus? You mean their horse and carriages right? everything above the M4 is just farmland feeding us Londoners

Pretty much irrelevant right?
Original post by Quantex
Then vote with your wallet and read non-London-centric press.It offers you a totally different perspective.......

Ahahahahahahaha :toofunny:
Piss poor thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending