The Student Room Group

Worrying to be an ethnic minority in a sovereign Britain?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/intolerance-ethnic-minority-poles-uk
An interesting read- what is your take on this?
Personally, I am a British individual with a Pakistani background, and have had a few occurrences where people have asked me if I wanted to go back home etc, without them realising that this is my home and will always will be.
A few of my friends who came here to the UK from Europe have felt the same as well.
I fear after reading articles like this, that having a sovereign Britain may result in a place of misunderstanding and fear towards certain communities.
This is just my view, I would like to listen to others.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by maryamzahid
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/intolerance-ethnic-minority-poles-uk
An interesting read- what is your take on this?
Personally, I am a British individual with a Pakistani background, and have had a few occurrences where people have asked me if I wanted to go back home etc, without them realising that this is my home and will always will be.
A few of my friends who came here to the UK from Europe have felt the same as well.
I fear after reading articles like this, that having a sovereign Britain may result in a place of misunderstanding and fear towards certain communities.
This is just my view, I would like to listen to others.

OP, are you a Muslim or have you abandoned religion to become one with your fellow Brits.

My advise is to buy something with a union flag on and start telling people how happy you are to be leaving the EU. A little dig at the Turks probably would help.

I jest slightly but you non-white immigrant decedents will probably have it hardest. The natives have spoken though... rule Britannia.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rakas21
OP, are you a Muslim or have you abandoned religion to become one with your fellow Brits.

My advise is to buy something with a union flag on and start telling people how happy you are to be leaving the EU. A little dig at the Turks probably would help.

I jest slightly but you non-white immigrant decedents will probably have it hardest. The natives have spoken though... rule Britannia.

Not sure if this is a serious post but I agree about the Turks:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
Not sure if this is a serious post but I agree about the Turks:biggrin:

In my EU discussions with my taxi drivers although they were mostly voting Remain the Pakistani and Indian drivers really lapped up the Turkey joining the EU line and railed at them.
Wait wtf UK left the EU, what's this got to do with you...
Not that Turkey will join but isn't there an EU deal where Turkey takes migrants of Middle East deported from like Greece? I honestly don't pay mind to either of those places so I ask.

Original post by Rakas21
In my EU discussions with my taxi drivers although they were mostly voting Remain the Pakistani and Indian drivers really lapped up the Turkey joining the EU line and railed at them.
Don't feel that way, Just express that you are proud to be British. I'm a Muslim and my parents are from the middle east but i was born and bred here and this country will always be my home. I think it's better we left, we should build this country to be a better place without any other external influence. Britain is far more tolerant and open about multi-faith and ethnic minorities than the EU and we should be grateful for that.
Reply 7
No #Leave
Reply 8
Original post by 0to100
Not that Turkey will join but isn't there an EU deal where Turkey takes migrants of Middle East deported from like Greece? I honestly don't pay mind to either of those places so I ask.

Yeah. For every migrant Turkey accepts they get to send a Syrian into Europe, get some cash and get their membership application sped up.

It's an awful deal that allows the third world into Europe.
Original post by ~scorpio~
Don't feel that way, Just express that you are proud to be British. I'm a Muslim and my parents are from the middle east but i was born and bred here and this country will always be my home. I think it's better we left, we should build this country to be a better place without any other external influence. Britain is far more tolerant and open about multi-faith and ethnic minorities than the EU and we should be grateful for that.

And that's why I laugh at the remainers who are coloured
I'm staying out for another year or two before moving to be with family elsewhere
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah. For every migrant Turkey accepts they get to send a Syrian into Europe, get some cash and get their membership application sped up.

It's an awful deal that allows the third world into Europe.

Right I was thinking perhaps this Turkey thing could possibly relate to a minority feeling lost in post-leave UK but...does it? I honestly don't see what this has got to do with them. Except for claims that Leave "resonates with 'anti-Muslim'" whatever they try to say. I mean other than that is there actually something that could affect them with leaving...? :\ To justify this OP?

Original post by queen-bee
I'm staying out for another year or two before moving to be with family elsewhere

It's better to have non-patriots GO. Nice not knowing ya :\
Not that I see why you're bothered if you're not EU migrant...but eh.
Original post by 0to100
Right I was thinking perhaps this Turkey thing could possibly relate to a minority feeling lost in post-leave UK but...does it? I honestly don't see what this has got to do with them. Except for claims that Leave "resonates with 'anti-Muslim'" whatever they try to say. I mean other than that is there actually something that could affect them with leaving...? :\ To justify this OP?

I'm a foreigner living in London :kiss:
Original post by 0to100
Why're you sarcastically kissing me? You're the one all wounded who has to deal with moving costs lol That display pic looks kinda Arab or something. Why're you all wound up over this? How does this affect you?...not your emotions...you politically, socioeconomically? I fail to see the connection to leaving EU and you being some kind of brown or Asian :\ like if there's a connection there, educate.

1.) pipe down love
2.)I'm not Asian,I'm actually a mixture of medittaranean
3.) it doesn't affect me one single bit
4.) I just stated I wanted to leave sooner or later I don't see why you're getting hot and bothered
Original post by 0to100

There is no effect on the OP, just fear.
Racism is pretty much an non-issue in the UK. We are one of the most tolerant countries in the world. All the people who are saying they will leave the UK because we are racist and xenophobic are welcome to move to somewhere like France - where ~20% would not want "people of another race" as neighbours.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

(edited 7 years ago)
The majority of Leave voters aren't even anti-immigration. It's just a narrative that has been pushed by Remain campaigners to be honest. People look at the annual 300,000 net migration figures and see that it is simply unsustainable.
Original post by Rakas21

She can be a Muslim and British, this is the sort of ignorant attitude which leads to hatred.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
She can be a Muslim and British, this is the sort of ignorant attitude which leads to hatred.

It's less important what religion people have but rather whether they put their nationality first. The problem with a lot of Muslims for example is that they are Muslim first and British second and express solidarity for other Muslims against western interests.

If OP would fight and die for Britain in a war against Pakistan then he has my approval.
Original post by Rakas21
It's less important what religion people have but rather whether they put their nationality first. The problem with a lot of Muslims for example is that they are Muslim first and British second and express solidarity for other Muslims against western interests.

If OP would fight and die for Britain in a war against Pakistan then he has my approval.

More worrying is the fact that you seem to expect war with Pakistan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending