The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louisb19
The economy has been hit harder than it did in 2008.

Why so happy?

Pray tell, how was it "hit"? How in the one day that has past has it been hit harder than 2008? The FTSE losing some value, which it has since partially retreaded (BTW we had a much bigger dip earlier this month)?

I think it's pretty funny that the BOE is having to swallow its words on this topic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
There was nothing "dumb" about this. You lost and don't like it. That's your real issue here.

Is Nicola Sturgeon going to take into account the votes of regions that don't want to leave with Scotland? Will she just let them stay on and remain with the UK? What if they are some of the wealthiest regions of Scotland?

Histrionic idiocy. BTW, how's the Euro going to work out for Scotland when it is one of the lowest growth regions in the world, even with negative interest rates? Are you looking forward to a permanent zombieland where there is zero or even negative growth like Japan? You can whine all you want about "recessions" because the £ and stock market fluctuated a bit, as if freely traded currencies and companies are never meant to fluctuate in value, EVER, lest some investors begin wailing their eyes out.

No, we've both lost. Of course I won't like losing... I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make there. As I've said already, the only difference is 48% of the countries aren't retarded like you and your xenophobic buddies. But by October I'm sure you guys will understand that we've voted ourselves into recession.

And your 2nd paragraph is pure stupidity. How can you type that with a straight face when we've been the the EU without using the Euro? What makes you think Scotland will be forced to use it? I swear some people on this site are so dumb. And I'm sure there's countries in the EU with worse economy's than Scotland. If Greece aren't being booted out then your argument is automatically invalid.

As for Scotland leaving the UK, I'm not even going to continue elaborating on it. No one with a grain of sense has any doubt that their next referendum will be a landslide victory for their independence. To claim otherwise is damage control. But continue arguing about it if you want.

Anyway, while people that are intelligent enough to understand the magnitude of chain events you guys have just started, you can enjoy your "victory" until around October when you first start seeing real side effects. For those of you who hated David Cameron (and I didn't like him either btw), prepare for much worse.

Original post by TCA2b
I think it's pretty funny that the BOE is having to swallow its words on this topic.
http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/683003/Brexit-shock-France-overtakes-UK-worlds-fifth-largest-economy-pound-plunges

Lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
The disproportionate emotional responses from other leavers is cheering me up no end :yy:
Original post by lucabrasi98
No, we've both lost. Of course I won't like losing... I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make there. As I've said already, the only difference is 48% of the countries aren't retarded like you and your xenophobic buddies. But by October I'm sure you guys will understand that we've voted ourselves into recession.

48% of the country is "retarded" because it agrees with you, I take it.

And your 2nd paragraph is pure stupidity. How can you type that with a straight face when we've been the the EU without using the Euro? What makes you think Scotland will be forced to use it? I swear some people on this site are so dumb. And I'm sure there's countries in the EU with worse economy's than Scotland. If Greece aren't being booted out then your argument is automatically invalid.

Because it was contemplated as a possibility, last time, when the BOE made it clear that it won't necessarily allow Scotland to keep the £.

I agree, some people on this site are very dumb.

If Greece aren't being booted out then your argument is automatically invalid.

It's "automatically" nothing of the sort. Greece is a huge debtor to many of the key European banks, which will go under if the illusion that it can repay them is shattered. Its bailout was conducted on those terms and none other, i.e. retaining investor confidence in those banks. Greece is also not applying to be admitted to the Euro.

As for Scotland leaving the UK, I'm not even going to continue elaborating on it. No one with a grain of sense has any doubt that their next referendum will be a landslide victory for their independence. To claim otherwise is damage control. But continue arguing about it if you want.

TBH, I am not bothered. I support the Scots either way, as it is their decision to make.

Anyway, while people that are intelligent enough to understand the magnitude of chain events you guys have just started, you can enjoy your "victory" until around October when you first start seeing real side effects. For those of you who hated David Cameron (and I didn't like him either btw), prepare for much worse.

Ah yes, the dreaded Boris Johnson.

Yeah, again I am failing to see anything but short term fluctuations here, so I would like to know how this is "worse than 2008"? Maybe Carney should have toned down the pre-Brexit fear-mongering. I don't think people really understand the magnitude of the 2008 crisis, or what it involved. Unless people are of the view that British companies are massively over-valued (and there is some argument that this is the case for stock markets globally, due to very high PE ratios relative to diminishing profitability and falling capital expenditure, but this is a problem irrespective of whether there is Brexit or not to catalyse it.)
(edited 7 years ago)
The salty liberal tears alone made this result more than worth it, clueless millenials mid way through their arts degrees acting like it's the apocalypse

LMFAO
Original post by TCA2b
Unless people are of the view that British companies are massively over-valued (and there is some argument that this is the case for stock markets globally, due to very high PE ratios relative to diminishing profitability and falling capital expenditure, but this is a problem irrespective of whether there is Brexit or not to catalyse it.)

I think the problem is more that it's international companies and banks in Britain that bring us most of the £££, and if they have to pay tariffs on everything in order to access the single market it would be bad business sense to remain in Britain. Britain has also traditionally been a big centre for research and technology development, which has attracted businesses here, all underpinned by Universities which receive a huge proportion of research funding from the European Union. UK government funding dried up ages ago and we've just shot our economy, we are struggling to maintain public services let alone invest in science and technology.

These things are a big part of the basis of our prosperity and we've just screwed the whole thing up. The idea we can hold on to all this stuff and continue as we have been after letting go of our free access to the single market (which we're going to have to now pay the big bucks for assuming we can negotiate ourselves into the European Economic Area) and all of the benefits being in the EU brought us, like investment into the poorest areas of the country, investment in science, investment in culture. I honestly think you have to be in denial to not at the least be very worried. Best case scenario (EEA) we'll still never get back to the level of access we have now, or the level of investment we have now because we have no money for it.
Original post by VV Cephei A
The salty liberal tears alone made this result more than worth it, clueless millenials mid way through their arts degrees acting like it's the apocalypse

LMFAO

But they're all moving to Canada with their arts and sociology degrees and will end up working at tim hortons :rofl:
Original post by VV Cephei A

LMFAO

Unfortunately this is the fodder of the "Leave" campaign. People who don't give a crap about the facts or the issues or, in the case of many, even understanding what the EU is. Why do so when you can base it all on insults and trying to incite personal feelings about vague sentiments. The fact people like yourself don't take this seriously is symptomatic of how we ended up royally shafting ourselves.
Original post by 99_Problems
How is it captain obvious when huge swathes of the UK voted leave because of the "selling point" of stopping the free movement of people? It obviously wasn't obvious to them that trade deals with Europe even outside the EU would involve following some EU rules?

And so it begins to sink in what you voted for.
Original post by Alexion
Yes, I do. I'm seriously ****ed off at this because we're stuck with it. We're past the point of no return, and we can never go back to what we're about to lose...

**** you, British public.

**** you too.

Yours sincerely,

The Majority :smile:
Original post by Alba2013
And so it begins to sink in what you voted for.

Not me I voted remain. Though I know many people who voted leave because it was sold to them as ending the free movement of people so if you want that out must be out.
Original post by 99_Problems
Not me I voted remain. Though I know many people who voted leave because it was sold to them as ending the free movement of people so if you want that out must be out.

I apologise for assuming. I was pretty sure it was clear to everyone that a trade agreement with the EU would involve keeping the free movement and EU regulations, following Norway's and Switzerland's model, obviously those who thought "out is out" are in for a rude awakening.
Well the amount of rep OP has received hopefully stands as an example of the strength of opinion people have on this... If not all of social media blowing up over this. There are a lot of very depressed, confused and concerned people all over the UK since yesterdays result. What's going to happen...? :s-smilie:
I do.

My career goal has just become virtual impossible to reach in this country now.
Looking to move to a country within the EU, very sad to have to leave the UK. Love this country a ton.
Original post by Alba2013
I apologise for assuming. I was pretty sure it was clear to everyone that a trade agreement with the EU would involve keeping the free movement and EU regulations, following Norway's and Switzerland's model, obviously those who thought "out is out" are in for a rude awakening.

Somehow they've got it into their heads that we don't need trade deals with the EU and that we're going to have a Utopian free movement deal with Canada/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa.

Lol
In the end we voted leave end of. Some people I know voted leave not because they want Europeans to leave but because of other reasons. Just accept the vote. Maybe the UK will realise what they did and learn from there mistake, I hope they will.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 156
I am genuinely depressed about the breixt because no one has a clue what's going to happen next because no one actually envisioned us leaving.

My girlfriend and I are moving to Australia if Boris becomes prime minister.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Original post by Twinpeaks

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

High skilled migrants won't be kicked out.

BTW, Norway is not in the EU.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

British Academia is only challenged by Switzerland and arguably Netherlands in Europe. It will not lose its place. German, Portuguese, and Italian lecturers will not leave because they can't get something remotely comparable with British unis in their own country.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

Brexiters have nothing against your lecturer. People are able to see the differences between immigrants.
I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I'm French and I don't consider this vote to be against me. If the same vote had been organised in France, Leave would have won by 60%. There is a general hate of the EU in several European countries, but Europeans don't hate their neighbours.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by Namita Gurung

They themselves are immigrants and they themselves have decided to shut the place from other immigrants. I don't think they even fully realise what they have done by placing their vote.

Immigrants will still be allowed in the UK. Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Original post by Namita Gurung
Yes it is good to have democracy but what infuriates me is that a lot of people didn't even know what they were voting for.

It also happens at each elections. :rolleyes:
I am hurt. I live in an area that was overwhelmingly Leave and I was honestly shocked by this. People saying how they've 'got their country back' and using immigration as an argument.

My friends have alienated me for having a political opinion; applauding each other's apathy and the fact they've rooted for a change they fail to understand the true gravitas of. They also got upset when I said the Leave campaign has been overwhelmigly racist using the following logic:
(1) migrants overwhelmingly enrich our country both politically and economically
(2) therefore the problem you have with them is the mere fact they're from another country
(3) this is fundamentally racist.

I'm personally offended as a second generation immigrant who has done much better than my British friends academically and whose parents contribute far more, both to the industries they work and in tax etc. The assertion that 'I'm not racist - I just want out' does not comfort me with its mysterious circular reasoning.

This is the first time I've felt secluded from my social group and my country. I always saw myself doing something to contribute to a country that's given me so much - I wanted to be in politics or journalism or work in an NGO. I've volunteered and worked and already feel I've contributed to my community. The fact that my position and my future has been undermined by people who still use 'of' instead of 'have' when forming the perfect tense horrifies me.

Latest

Trending

Trending