The Student Room Group

Londoners only

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by swanderfeild
Independence followed by EU membership, union with Scotland followed by EU membership,or maybe join Netherlands (they've pretty liberal and open minded government) and get EU membership.
First preference to independence though: Cyber Kingdom of Great London.

How does UK belong less to Europe than London belongs to UK? A region belongs to its inhabitants, not to a greater power simply because it has done so in the past.
FIY: London has not always been capital city of England, that used to be Winchester.

The Netherlands also want to leave #nexit
Reply 61
Original post by Joinedup
There you go...

londonflag.png

that'll be £200,000

Hmmmm it looks too simple! Where's our famous monuments?
Original post by JMEisjames
What is the benefit of London staying in the UK if we are not even part of the Eu which is our biggest trading partner. Londoners provide 50% of the tax for the United Kindom yet only see 7% of that spent in London compared to New York City which sees 50% of its taxes spent in the actual city. The rest of the country is on a 24/7 handout by London, meanwhile make decisions which will drastically lessen their handout meaning London has to pick up an even higher bill.
In an Independent London we no longer have to be ruled by little Englanders, with little to no education. London's GDP is the twice the size of Singapore .

No it's not
Original post by similarBlank
I'm a student in London and voted Leave. :smile:

likewise
Original post by NickLCFC
Falklands and Northern Ireland have historically 'belonged' to other countries. Doncaster and Gloucester referendums weren't independence referendums. These are not comparable to a potential London independence referendum.

What relevance does "historically belonging to another country" have on shaping future relationship of a region? And again you're trying to create special cases - point is in any referendum which occurs in a subset of a sovereign nation, only that subset gets to vote; find a counter example to this go ahead.
Reply 65
Original post by Conservationofmass
That's right it is different, it's not English and filled with foreigners and people dat tlk lit dis if they are by chance English. I think London should be independent, then we can build a nice big wall and border around it and let no one in or out, then we could relocate all business and financial sector stuff, banks ect to outside it. Then it'll just be a ghetto.

No! The banks will remain in the city of London,thank you very much.
Original post by queen-bee
The Netherlands also want to leave #nexit

There are only few of them. Plus once we join with 5 million supporters, I'm sure the tide will turn.
Reply 67
Original post by Josb
Will we see an independent Newcastle and Manchester as well?

The inability of some Remainers to accept the result is shocking.

You're right,Newcastle want to gain independance but it's irrelevant anyway
Reply 68
Original post by swanderfeild
There are only few of them. Plus once we join with 5 million supporters, I'm sure the tide will turn.

The first minister is already taking steps to ensure a second Scottish independance ref,your plan sounds good
Original post by Fantastic Fan
No it's not

Kind of awkward when it pretty much is twice as big as singapores gdp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP
Singapores is around 365 billion, Londons is 565 billion, search it
Reply 70
Original post by Foo.mp3
Immigrants are not going to destroy 1,000 years of history, with London as the capital of England. No ****ing chance. Sorry love x

What are you talking about? :gasp:
Original post by JMEisjames
Kind of awkward when it pretty much is twice as big as singapores gdp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP
Singapores is around 365 billion, Londons is 565 billion, search it

That isn't twice my friend.

Or even near it.
What are you talking about? :gasp:

The question you should be asking is why he assumes that you're an immigrant.
Well as a sort of Londoner (i.e born in London and lived there for half my life) I shall take the liberty of being entitled to an opinion :h:
Tbh I Would love London to be independent, everything seems to revolve around London which as the capital I suppose is understandable but isn't relatable for the majority of the rest of the country. Paticuarly those in the North.
Furthermore I think culturally London is very different (I am not saying that is a bad thing before I get massacred :indiff:) as where I live there are hardly any immigrants/foreigners/whatever the word is so I think it is hard for someone in a sleepy rural place to relate to somewhere like London but having lived in both places I can see that and empathise with both sides. This breeds a resentment and a divide between London and elsewhere.
Tbh I hate London, I hate the overcrowding and the noise and everything and I hate it mainly for personal reasons but i'm looking at this as objectively as possible.
I don't think an independent London would work (as others have said it wasnt just London that voted to remain) if anything due to population pressure, London is forever expanding with population so limiting itself to one area seems foolish.
Tbh i would like to see it go independent but i dont think that will happen :smile:
Reply 74
The question you should be asking is why he assumes that you're an immigrant.

I think he's talking about London being 'multiculral',not me specifically
That isn't twice my friend.

Or even near it.

even so you cannot deny the fact are economy is larger by £200 billion...
London is a British city that belongs to the British people. If there was ever a London independence vote, the entire British population would be entitled to vote. Sorry but this is never going to happen.

exactly - london is not just for the benefit of londoners! myself a londoner has no idea how such a pathetic proposal is being taken seriously! i love going out to surrey, hertfordshire, essex and norfolk - the idea that london could ever be considered separate is ludicrous...
Hmmmm it looks too simple! Where's our famous monuments?

Simple is good.
don't wanna go in the same direction as Milwaukee... not if you've got any taste

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
We don't have to vote for London independence as a state, but can copy the relationship between HongKong and mainland China. We can still call ourselves as British people, but with independent currency, independent government, and of course, independent rights to join the EU again.
London is a British city that belongs to the British people. If there was ever a London independence vote, the entire British population would be entitled to vote. Sorry but this is never going to happen.

Should everyone in the UK have a vote on whether or not Scotland should be independent because Scotland is part of UK (and Great Britain) and therefore belongs to us all?

Quick Reply

Latest