The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celloel
Leave won in a fair and democratic referendum.
Calling for a petition just because you didn't get the result you wanted is not how democracy works. Grow up.

I agree. 70% is actually a good turnout for any election/referendum.
Reply 302
Having a second referendum is like saying, "here, try to get the answer right this time"
image.jpeg
A second referendum would actually mean that those who voted for leave blindly; change their mind and cast their votes for remain.

Nigel Farage makes wrong statement that £350 million would be spent for NHS funds - Brexit voters in shock and regret their decision. A 2nd referendum could possibly see a turnover
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

I think the main issue is that quite a significant of "leave" voters have changed their mind after they found out that they had been lied to both about the NHS and immigration. Also, I read on some news channel (can't remember which) that apparently Farage said a few months ago that if remain win by a close call, he'd want to have a 2nd referendum. So it seems like a lot of people, not only remain voters but also leave voters who now regret their decision want to try again - which is illogical, they should've been sure of what they want when they voted but hey ho. I guess they did get mislead and lied to
I voted remain. Many young people are angry about older people voting to leave, but it's important to remember that the average age in the UK is 50:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/bulletins/annualmidyearpopulationestimates/mid2015

and that the average life expectancy for people who reach 65 is 84 for men and 87 for women. So older voters do have the right to have their opinion taken into account - they will be around for the consequences.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancies/datasets/lifeexpectancyatbirthandatage65bylocalareasinenglandandwalesreferencetable1

It's important to remember that social media is not representative of the population at large; it is youth orientated. While young people may enjoy some self righteous anger at older people who did not share their opinions, the over 50's are not just going to disappear because you don't agree with them. So, if you want real influence, rather than empty angry protests, make the effort to speak face to face to older people; express your concerns and listen to theirs.
Original post by tes5983
reached 1.2m signitures for 2nd EU referendum!

What will you guys do when this fails?
Original post by physicsphysics91
Because you refuse to accept the democratic result, its not hard to understand lol.

If I didn't like democracy, I'd just call for the government to ignore the outcome of the referendum outright. If you like democracy, why are you against a second referendum? Surely if leaving is the will of the people, it will be the result of the second referendum anyway?

The referendum a) was held under false pretences given by the leave campaign and b) had poor turnout in some sectors of the population. I don't think it reflects the will of the people very well. I think it's more democratic to have a second referendum to ensure that the will of the people is properly reflected.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by geoking
If you don't like a fair democratic vote, move to somewhere like North Korea, China, or Somalia.

I want fair democracy. How is it fair that nearly exactly half the country can oppose a thing (and substantial parts of the other half be fooled into voting for it) yet that be treated as a completely decisive decision requiring immediate submission by Parliament?

Also, Parliament is the ruler of Britain, not serial liars like Nigel Farage or Daniel Hannan, or the handful of extremely right wing Tory politicians cashing in on this to introduce their extremist version of austerity.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Surely if leaving is the will of the people, it will be the result of the second referendum anyway?

How can you be sure? We would need a third referendum to make sure.

How long do you want this to go on for?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I want fair democracy. How is it fair that nearly exactly half the country can oppose a thing (and substantial parts of the other half be fooled into voting for it) yet that be treated as a completely decisive decision requiring immediate submission by Parliament?

Also, Parliament is the ruler of Britain, not serial liars like Nigel Farage or Daniel Hannan, or the handful of extremely right wing Tory politicians cashing in on this to introduce their extremist version of austerity.

It's fair because the majority won the vote. Get over it.
I want fair democracy.

Or double plus goodthink, as Orwell called it.

You already told us how you would ensure fairness by selecting the electorate to be people you think would agree with your "right answer" and including hurdles that couldn't possibly be jumped by those that oppose you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If I didn't like democracy, I'd just call for the government to ignore the outcome of the referendum outright. If you like democracy, why are you against a second referendum? Surely if leaving is the will of the people, it will be the result of the second referendum anyway?

The referendum a) was held under false pretences given by the leave campaign and b) had poor turnout in some sectors of the population. I don't think it reflects the will of the people very well. I think it's more democratic to have a second referendum to ensure that the will of the people is properly reflected.

Typically when a by-election has been forced soon after an election, the person who forced it is the one who's punished electorally.

It's far from guaranteed that Leave would not win by a larger margin.
Approaching 1.4m
Original post by geoking
It's fair because the majority won the vote. Get over it.

The vote was gerrymandered by excluding people who should have been allowed to vote and it was rigged by allowing unchallenged blatant lies to dominate the debate and it was illegitimate as a referendum because it was about settling an internal feud in the Tory Party.

The results are plain to see this morning - the UK is already poorer and things are probably going to get much, much worse.

I hope all the morons easily influenced by Nigel Farage's homespun casual racism and matey blokeish 1950s ******** are going to feel very pleased with themselves when jobless numbers surge and the whole country goes into a nosedive.
Original post by Good bloke
Or double plus goodthink, as Orwell called it.

You already told us how you would ensure fairness by selecting the electorate to be people you think would agree with your "right answer" and including hurdles that couldn't possibly be jumped by those that oppose you.

I think you'll find the electorate was rigged the other way, for example, what possible justification was there for excluding the young potential voters for whom this was the most impactful decision of their lives?
I wouldn't call a 4% margin as a crashing win though...it just shows how divided is the society. Looking at the reasoning of Vote Leave people, many of them had no idea what they're voting for. Like this one guy that said is to stop Muslims from coming to UK....really ?
The vote was gerrymandered by excluding people who should have been allowed to vote and it was rigged by allowing unchallenged blatant lies to dominate the debate and it was illegitimate as a referendum because it was about settling an internal feud in the Tory Party.

The results are plain to see this morning - the UK is already poorer and things are probably going to get much, much worse.

I hope all the morons easily influenced by Nigel Farage's homespun casual racism and matey blokeish 1950s ******** are going to feel very pleased with themselves when jobless numbers surge and the whole country goes into a nosedive.

No it wasn't gerrymandered. No it wasn't rigged. Lies were used on both sides of the argument.

The UK is not in effect poorer. Economists are speculating what could happen, and the FTSE was lower in Feb.

If you don't like living in a democracy, feel free to move to a different country with a different type of government.
I think you'll find the electorate was rigged the other way, for example, what possible justification was there for excluding the young potential voters for whom this was the most impactful decision of their lives?

The referendum was run in accordance with all preceding national referendum and election practices. You'd have to justify any deviation from that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending