The Student Room Group

Overcontrolling parents - What should I do?

My parents have always been overcontrolling. I thought they'd change when I'm 18, but they've just grown worse. They even log in to my email and facebook to make sure they know exactly what im doing. I get hit if i don't listen to their orders, and i can't answer anything back to them other than the simple 'yes'. They say they'll chuck me out if I do anything other than studying. I'm still doing my A levels and I want to be a doctor, so i still need the roof over my head. What shall I do? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by ClariceE
My parents have always been overcontrolling. I thought they'd change when I'm 18, but they've just grown worse. They even log in to my email and facebook to make sure they know exactly what im doing. I get hit if i don't listen to their orders, and i can't answer anything back to them other than the simple 'yes'. They say they'll chuck me out if I do anything other than studying. I'm still doing my A levels and I want to be a doctor, so i still need the roof over my head. What shall I do? Thanks.

Moved this back to our 'friends family and work' forum for you :smile:

Do you have any alternative places to go?
If so I advice you immediately GTFO of that situation, it will actually hinder your grades.
You get hit by your parents at the age of 18?
Change your passwords to something only you know. If they say anything you can tell them that you need privacy.

Other than that keep studying and working hard to get the grades you need so you can move out to a university of your choice.
Reply 5
make another Facebook account maybe that you use to actually say what the hell you like ...
Reply 6

If it like that i think you should contact your school for a councillor to help you out or a social worker to see if they can get you some accommodation if you think you cant cope. If you think you can stick it out until uni you could make a secrete FB account etc. Good luck
If you can talk to them and tell them like I am 18, I need to be independent and to develop my personality. Tell them that their attitude is going to affect your performance in A-levels and you need the high grades for the firmed university. Tell them that I will be dedicating a lot of time for studying to get the needed grades, however, you won't be able to be studying all day long,your brain need some rest for efficient studying!
I suggest you work if you can and gather some money to be able to live on your own later in life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending