The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
How can you be sure? We would need a third referendum to make sure.

How long do you want this to go on for?

It's not about what I want, it's about what the people want. Judging by the number of signers of this petition, the people want a second referendum. If you support democracy you'd respect that.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Judging by the number of signers of this petition, the people want a second referendum.

Well, no. Judging by this petition a proportion of those who didn't get their way want a second bite at the cherry. The rest are more mature (and this is a very childish reaction that demonstrates why under 18s shouldn't be given the vote) and know it is a futile exercise which, if granted, would be even more damaging and would lead to months of doubt, uncertainty and turmoil.

Move on!
Original post by geoking
No it wasn't gerrymandered. No it wasn't rigged. Lies were used on both sides of the argument.

The UK is not in effect poorer. Economists are speculating what could happen, and the FTSE was lower in Feb.

If you don't like living in a democracy, feel free to move to a different country with a different type of government.

I want to live in the British democracy we are supposed to have, which is Parliament, not one dictated by Tory politicians and their allies in the extreme Right of UKIP and not one dished up by liars with hedge fund interests and offshored to **** like Hanhan and Farage and Lord Ashcroft and the twisted perverts who run the Daily Mail.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I want to live in the British democracy we are supposed to have, which is Parliament, not one dictated by Tory politicians and their allies in the extreme Right of UKIP and not one dished up by liars with hedge fund interests and offshored to **** like Hanhan and Farage and Lord Ashcroft and the twisted perverts who run the Daily Mail.

Tory and UKIP politicians aren't part of Parliament?

That's strange. I thought you wanted to live in a democracy that always did what you wanted to do. You asked for a new referendum a few posts ago.

After all, you have a democracy run by parliament already. Parliament decided to allow the electorate to make this particular decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 325
Original post by Josb
What would these people have said if the situation had been reversed, eg. 52/48 for Remain and Brexiters making a petition for a new vote?

Yes - of course they would given the closeness.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017
Original post by jneill
There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
=> https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 1,400,000 signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.
We live in a democracy Not a keep going till you get the result YOU want

Take off your tin foil hat. A referendum is the fairest form of government as it is asking the people directly what should be done.

You just want your own way - that's a dictatorship, not a democracy.
Reply 328
Original post by stev43219
We live in a democracy Not a keep going till you get the result YOU want

c.f. Ireland.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Because you refuse to accept the democratic result, its not hard to understand lol.

It isn't democracy calling a referendum until you get the result you want
Original post by jneill
c.f. Ireland.

You mean the country that was widely ridiculed in Britain when it re-ran its referendum, and in which over 70% were unhappy that the re-run took place?
Reply 331
Original post by Good bloke
You mean the country that was widely ridiculed in Britain when it re-ran its referendum, and in which over 70% were unhappy that the re-run took place?

indeed.

Still worked though :wink:
a second referendum makes perfect sense - even for leavers.

Why be in a rush to leave?

Lets make DOUBLY certain this really is what the country wants
Original post by joecphillips
It isn't democracy calling a referendum until you get the result you want

Cameron chose the date of the battle, he brought 7bn's worth of funding (to leaves 2.8bn), he brought lots of 'expert' endorsements from the likes of David Beckham and Eddie Izzard and got BTFO by the working British public. Step aside lefties, your time is over.
Reply 334

I'm not speaking of Farage, but the Remainers. What would they have said if they had won and Farage was calling for a 2nd referendum?
Original post by FredOrJohn

It makes no sense under a democracy, accept you remainers are a minority.
Original post by FredOrJohn

We aren't in a rush. We need to formulate an exit strategy first, then apply it. But delaying things with a second referendum would royally piss off everyone.
Reply 337
Only 360k of the signatures are even from the UK lmao
I want fair democracy. How is it fair that nearly exactly half the country can oppose a thing (and substantial parts of the other half be fooled into voting for it) yet that be treated as a completely decisive decision requiring immediate submission by Parliament?

Also, Parliament is the ruler of Britain, not serial liars like Nigel Farage or Daniel Hannan, or the handful of extremely right wing Tory politicians cashing in on this to introduce their extremist version of austerity.

How is it fair that more than half the population vote for something yet because people throw a hissy fit the others get what they want?
Original post by Josb
I'm not speaking of Farage, but the Remainers. What would they have said if they had won and Farage was calling for a 2nd referendum?

They would be saying exactly the same, its unfair wahh wahh not democratic wahhh (although it is).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending