The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

The most stupid thing I've ever seen. Clearly the 1.4m people that signed it don't under the concept of referendum. The percentile range proposal should have been specified BEFORE the voting. Get over it. Yes I voted remain, but it's embarrassing to see so many people make idiots of themselves.
Original post by jneill
indeed.

Still worked though :wink:

It did, and nearly resurrected a vogue for Irish jokes.
Reply 342
Reminder that a tiny fraction of the signatures are even from the ukonly around 360k you can check this in the .json
reminder that a tiny fraction of the signatures are even from the ukonly around 360k you can check this in the .json

reminder that a tiny fraction of the signatures are even from the ukonly around 360k you can check this in the .json

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
It's not about what I want, it's about what the people want. Judging by the number of signers of this petition, the people want a second referendum. If you support democracy you'd respect that.

The people want to leave as was shown the other day when they voted to leave
Original post by EuanF
Only 360k of the signatures are even from the UK lmao

Wait, what?

Any links to prove this?
I voted remain and yes I'm annoyed by the result, however I can only ever see another vote yielding an equally close outcome. In my opinion the result is anything but decisive and I'd probably go as far as to say very divisive. However, I think the best course of action now is to move on and work on healing any divisions caused by this vote.

Initially I was very annoyed, I admit that I did sign that petition because I was annoyed at the result. I even went as far as to seeing if I was eligible for Irish citizenship (I'm one generation too far down the line unfortunately :P). I feel like an older generation has decided our future despite them being unlikely to see much or any of it. All that seems to have happened is we've handed power from one set of elites to another and put the economy at risk in the process. I'm sure many people will be familiar with the FT comment piece that has been shared around social media a lot recently and it pretty accurately sums up my feelings on this.

I think now we just have to move on though and try to fix some of the divisions that have formed. Caroline Lucas's guardian piece seems to suggest a pretty sensible way forward. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/brexiters-voters-eu-referendum-result-proportional-voting
Original post by jneill
Edit to add: Over 1,400,000 signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

Of course it is. We're trying to save the country :emo:
Reply 347
Original post by Josb
I'm not speaking of Farage, but the Remainers. What would they have said if they had won and Farage was calling for a 2nd referendum?

Oh I see. Yeah they would be crying foul of course :smile:

Only natural.
Reply 348
Original post by The Roast
Wait, what?

Any links to prove this?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215.json

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":353988}
literally only 354k signatures are from the uk

CRY MORE REMAINVOTERS
Can someone in favour of having a 2nd Referendum please explain to me why it would be 'Democratic' to do so?
Original post by EuanF
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215.json

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":353988}

CRY MORE REMAINVOTERS

LMAO :toofunny:

Some people from Saudi Arabia and Sudan signed :lol:
Original post by Alexion
Of course it is. We're trying to save the country :emo:

By destroying democracy, some people who have signed this also support taking the vote against poor people how is that helpful and saving the country?

If you really think ignoring the people's wishes will save this country you are deluded there is already a divide between the public and parliament and parliament not doing its job will lead to at least more ukip MPs and possibly even a further right party.
Reply 352
Pretty undemocratic and naive call really. At least wait 6 months till the negotiations are getting sticky and people grasp that the NHS is not going to be richly funded and everyone in the nation able to live in a 6 bedroom house and drink champagne daily.
Can someone in favour of having a 2nd Referendum please explain to me why it would be 'Democratic' to do so?

Because it's only democracy if it goes the way regressive's want
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

that won't happen. I do however disagree that the petition is pointless. Too many people, including David Cameron underestimated the British idiot class. Had he expected so many numpties who don't usually vote, to actually get off their ass and vote, and expected so many reasonable thinking people to think leave would never win...he'd never have called it in the first place.

These are the sort of people wanting another referendum. All dem liberal arts students... nope lol. The face of youth unemployment.

It is very simple. All those British people demanding a referendum are young and have been brought up in a culture of grade inflation and re-sits that allow you to improve your grade. Some, of course, hope they will be old enough to vote in a second referendum, and some were inconvenienced by a rain shower and seek extra time on the grounds of a disability (to own a raincoat).
Original post by joecphillips
By destroying democracy, some people who have signed this also support taking the vote against poor people how is that helpful and saving the country?

If you really think ignoring the people's wishes will save this country you are deluded there is already a divide between the public and parliament and parliament not doing its job will lead to at least more ukip MPs and possibly even a further right party.

"The people's wishes" were largely based on lies and misinformation. We're leaving the EU because people were lied to by officials claiming that we could be better off outside.

Now, we face a future where the UK's going to fall apart, the EU's going to fall apart, and all thanks to Farage the **** and a warped sense of nationalism.

Great.
Reply 358
Original post by physicsphysics91

these are the sort of people wanting another referendum. All dem liberal arts students... Nope lol. The face of youth unemployment.

can't even use a pritt stick to glue their *****y signs
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
that won't happen. I do however disagree that the petition is pointless. Too many people, including David Cameron underestimated the British idiot class. Had he expected so many numpties who don't usually vote, to actually get off their ass and vote, and expected so many reasonable thinking people to think leave would never win...he'd never have called it in the first place.

In that case you should blame Cameron and the rest of the Remain camp for incompetence AND Merkel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending