The Student Room Group

Immigration will not be any different(?)

This is to the best of my knowledge:

I'm reading that many people voted leave merely due to immigration and many others still believe that we will have controlled immigration. This is a lie.

If we wish to continue to be part of the single market (and our trade will greatly suffer if we do not), the rule is that all countries part of the single market have to have free movement of people - ie. we cannot control the immigration.

We can now decide to be part of the single market, pay a large fee, and continue with no change to immigration, or pay the consequences to our trade and consequently, our economy. We will effectively end up continuing to pay large sums of money to the EU and having to follow many EU laws but just with the great position of having no control or being in discussions on these laws.

(Also, some other points about immigration:
Last year there was more immigration from outside the EU than inside. We did very little to control this.

"Controlling" immigration does not mean reducing it. The leave party have never said they plan to reduce immigration. There will just as many people, therefore just as much pressure. source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending

Immigration is, and always will be, a good thing. People come here to work, prosper, and support our economy. We benefit greatly from immigrants and with the vote yesterday I feel have made them feel so unwelcome and disrespected. It is truly wrong.

Also, the freedom of movement works both ways. British nationals live, work, and travel to Europe and this will be so much harder (and I believe much more expensive) from now on if you ever wish to leave the UK - or I suppose possibly even just want to leave England after the UK is broken. Many people's jobs rely on freedom of movement - their lives will be permanently severely affected.

Finally, if it comes to sending people back who are immigrants (I don't know if the policies will be this extreme but possibly) please remember that this works both ways a swell. The people who immigrate here tend to be young, work and contribute to our economy. On the other hand, british nationals who could be made to come back to the UK tend to be older, retired, and rely on our systems instead of contributing to them. This will hardly help with the pressure that "immigrants cause".)
(edited 7 years ago)
It's so sad that Nationalism has trumped Rationalism.
Reply 2
I saw this as a guardian comment which pretty much sums it up:
3 visions for the UK -
Hannan: access to the free market means we must accept free movement of people.
Essentially the Norway model, explicitly rejected by the Leave campaign because it puts us in the same position as we are now, but without a voice in the EU.
Grayling: access to the free market, but no strings attached.
The March hare model: this would break all the EU's rules and has never been suggested as remotely possible by anyone in Europe.
Gove: sever our ties completely and trade under WTO rules.
This is the default position of countries leaving the EU, it's the course the EU will expect us to take. It also introduces import and export tariffs which means our biggest exporters to the EU (the car makers and the financial services) will inevitably gravitate to the enormous free trade area on our doorstep! Welcome to a country with massive debt, a huge deficit and a shrinking economy!

They're all bonkers, if you ask me. Britain had negotiated itself into a position where it was removed from the ideological nonsense of the EU, but had free access to its markets, we were in the best position possible. We've handed over the country to neoliberal fools and fantasists.- Tehillim
(edited 7 years ago)
Probably not much, no. Maybe it'll marginally drop for a couple of years, but that's it. Radically being able to reduce human migration by an order of magnitude simply isn't feasible. Travel technology is too advanced. Freedom of movement is going to increasingly be part of trade treaties, and unless we want to cut ourselves off from the world and stick heavy militarised security on the border, we're not going to be able to do anything about it.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Hello Mr Anarchism, actually it is possible to reduce immigration by a lot - we could completely control our borders if we wished, we are an island - the problem is the very negative effects of doing so, diplomatically and economically

No:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4186923

Please read the whole thing and comments also if you can because this is a common misconception. Controlling meant knowing who is going over the boarders which is completely different.
Original post by Naomi265

Grayling: access to the free market, but no strings attached.
The March hare model: this would break all the EU's rules and has never been suggested as remotely possible by anyone in Europe.
=

Grayling is either a lunatic or liar.

The EU isn't going to give access to the Single Market without Free Movement because that would effectively signal other countries to leave as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Hello Mr Anarchism, actually it is possible to reduce immigration by a lot - we could completely control our borders if we wished, we are an island - the problem is the very negative effects of doing so, diplomatically and economically

That's basically what I said - I never said it wasn't possible, just not feasible. It would be hugely inconvenient and detrimental, and likely will only grow more so as the international pressure on us will increase.

Also, remember we share the British Isles with another country, who we do have a land border with. And the way Scotland's going, that's soon going to be two.
Original post by anarchism101
Probably not much, no. Maybe it'll marginally drop for a couple of years, but that's it. Radically being able to reduce human migration by an order of magnitude simply isn't feasible. Travel technology is too advanced. Freedom of movement is going to increasingly be part of trade treaties, and unless we want to cut ourselves off from the world and stick heavy militarised security on the border, we're not going to be able to do anything about it.

We could be the next North Korea?
Reply 8
The EU are not going to want to give the UK a better deal than they had before simply because if they did then other countries will see this and they will also want to leave and the EU will fall apart. It is not in their best interests for us to come out on top here.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We could be the next North Korea?

I think the US might beat us to it if Trump becomes president.
Reply 10
Original post by Naomi265
This is to the best of my knowledge:

I'm reading that many people voted leave merely due to immigration and many others still believe that we will have controlled immigration. This is a lie.

If we wish to continue to be part of the single market (and our trade will greatly suffer if we do not), the rule is that all countries part of the single market have to have free movement of people - ie. we cannot control the immigration.

We can now decide to be part of the single market, pay a large fee, and continue with no change to immigration, or pay the consequences to our trade and consequently, our economy. We will effectively end up continuing to pay large sums of money to the EU and having to follow many EU laws but just with the great position of having no control or being in discussions on these laws.

(Also, some other points about immigration:
Last year there was more immigration from outside the EU than inside. We did very little to control this.

"Controlling" immigration does not mean reducing it. The leave party have never said they plan to reduce immigration. There will just as many people, therefore just as much pressure. source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending

Immigration is, and always will be, a good thing. People come here to work, prosper, and support our economy. We benefit greatly from immigrants and with the vote yesterday I feel have made them feel so unwelcome and disrespected. It is truly wrong.

Also, the freedom of movement works both ways. British nationals live, work, and travel to Europe and this will be so much harder (and I believe much more expensive) from now on if you ever wish to leave the UK - or I suppose possibly even just want to leave England after the UK is broken. Many people's jobs rely on freedom of movement - their lives will be permanently severely affected.

Finally, if it comes to sending people back who are immigrants (I don't know if the policies will be this extreme but possibly) please remember that this works both ways a swell. The people who immigrate here tend to be young, work and contribute to our economy. On the other hand, british nationals who could be made to come back to the UK tend to be older, retired, and rely on our systems instead of contributing to them. This will hardly help with the pressure that "immigrants cause".)

Lol, are you honestly surprised? All remainers knew this from the very start. Hell, anyone with research skills of a 10 year old knew this. Says a lot about the intelligence of brexiters who only voted leave because of 'immigrants'.
Immigration was one of the biggest selling points of the leave campaign. Boris promised us an "Australian style points-based system" that would allow us to control immigration and help us plan for public services. He has now gone back on it saying that we will most likely accept free movement of people in return for access to the single market.

There are liars, then there is Boris Johnson, and we just helped him one step closer to becoming the next PM.

Well done Britain. We have been played.

source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/i-cannot-stress-too-much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending