The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Lol.

Only 5% difference in the Polls last time.

LIke I said before, if Sturgeon can get an offer to stay within the EU if they break off, then you wave goodbye to the Union.

Maybe even NI if they are lucky as well.

A vote for Remain in Scotland doesn't make somebody a scottish nationalist, most remain supports support parties which endorse remain in the UK too.. If Sturgeon was sure she could win she would have already an intention to hold a referendum.

As for Northern Ireland, they have a far more complicated issue, and a vote to leave the EU would a vote to Join ireland, without the 2-1 subsidy they get from the UK government, 52% of catholics wouldn't vote for unification with Ireland.
Original post by the IT MAN
They wont go they do not want the Euro as they wont have the pound .

Lol.

They can use the pound anyway. You can't stop them.
Nicola Sturgeon just wants an excuse to have another referendum. She wants to do it before we leave and she wants to do it soon because what if brexit actually works out fine, she doesn't want to give the people of scotland a chance to leave with the eu if the UK ends up better off.

Plus, even if Scotland became independent there is no guarantee that they would be accepted into the EU. There are requirements and Scotland would most likely not meet them. One of the requirements is "The economic criteria, broadly speaking, require that candidate countries have a functioning market economy and that their producers have the capability to cope with competitive pressure and market forces within the Union." Scotland's entire economy is based around the UK's there is almost no way that they would get in.

Northern Ireland didn't get enough of a majority to trigger another vote on them leaving either, so Northern Ireland are most likely going to stay. Their actual results are similar to the UK's, there's such a slim percentage between them.

I personally think that we as the UK should have a referendum on whether we want Scotland anymore. If they're so intent to leave they should have voted leave in their referendum, not stay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol.

They can use the pound anyway. You can't stop them.

If they are independent no they can not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fantastic Fan
Yeah, why listen to the Oxford educated former Mayor of London, he's certainly uninformed and doesn't know what he's talking about.

You ever heard the man speak? He's a total clown.
Original post by AverageExcellence
A vote for Remain in Scotland doesn't make somebody a scottish nationalist, most remain supports support parties which endorse remain in the UK too.. If Sturgeon was sure she could win she would have already an intention to hold a referendum.

Who said it did?

Sturgeon already said that she plans to hold a referendum if there is a Brexit.

She is doing the smart thing and going to Brussels to see if they can remain part of the EU. IF they can, then wave goodbye.

As for Northern Ireland, they have a far more complicated issue, and a vote to leave the EU would a vote to Join ireland, without the 2-1 subsidy they get from the UK government, 52% of catholics wouldn't vote for unification with Ireland.

52% of Catholics won't vote for Unification ? Take that Poll now once the UK has left the EU.

If NI leaves it depends on if they get their subsidies , which they won't.
If they are independent no they can not.

According to who? IT MAN?
Reply 327
If 17 year olds were allowed to vote, I swear the results would have been different.
Reply 328
thanks to britain's ageing population not :frown:
According to who? IT MAN?

The last referendum.
Original post by Elivercury
And? Sovereignty!

We want control over our own laws and destiny! Screw the consequences!

If logic worked, Remain would have won.

"Screw the consequences!" is not logic, it's retarded.

'Sovereignty' is meaningless, a country is an arbitrary defined set of lines on a map, to put that above actual, practical benefits for people not only flies in the face of all human progress but is borderline lunacy.
The last referendum.

You can't stop them. The same way you can't stop a Zimbabwean from using the US dollar.

Anyway, I really don't think Scots are really going to care about using a **** currency like the pound now.
Who said it did?

Sturgeon already said that she plans to hold a referendum if there is a Brexit.

She is doing the smart thing and going to Brussels to see if they can remain part of the EU. IF they can, then wave goodbye.

No she said there is a 'strong likelihood' of an referendum, which is politician speak for ill see if i can actually win the vote before i intend it, clearly she is not confident on it and recent polls suggest there still is not a big enough appetite within the scottish public for independence. If they leave they will have to join as a new member, if they declare independence it will be completely separate negotiation.

Scottish Conservatives, Labour, Lib dems are still all for remain, whereas in the referendum every party was for remain strongly. To conflate Pro EU with pro nationalist lacks any understanding.

52% of Catholics won't vote for Unification ? Take that Poll now once the UK has left the EU.

If NI leaves it depends on if they get their subsidies , which they won't.

The voter turnout in ireland was not nearly as good as projected, it was predicted it would be 3/1 in favour of remain. A vote for leaving the UK would be a whole other story. Aside from the obvious indispensable unionism there is in Northern Ireland which make up a good 50% of the population, there remains the obvious economic argument that for every 1 pound they pay in tax 2 pounds is sent in funding to their government, over 70% of their jobs are public sector and a vote for unification with ireland (governments of UK and ROI have categorically stated there will not be an independent NI) would create civil unrest of the troubles again which nobody has appetite for.
Original post by Trapz99
The people voted for sovereignty. Not 'idiots'. We need to be an independent country and have independence.

As with the human race as a whole, the vast majority of the general public are idiots. Intelligence is a normal distribution, and the mean lies just above: "Buuuuuu, I can count to potato."

Anyway, I really don't think Scots are really going to care about using a **** currency like the pound now.

The euro is doomed long term, greece are 2 weeks away from defaulting on their loan again and sending the EU into shock once more.. enjoy your dream of utopia..
Original post by Trapz99
No. I am intelligent.

You must be a great actor.
Original post by WhisperingTide
As with the human race as a whole, the vast majority of the general public are idiots. Intelligence is a normal distribution, and the mean lies just above: "Buuuuuu, I can count to potato."

You think you're smarter than most of the electorate? so much for being a peaceloving democrat.. the truth is it is all about your ego to stand out as some pseudo-intellectual who clearly doesn't understand the reality on the ground.
No she said there is a 'strong likelihood' of an referendum, which is politician speak for ill see if i can actually win the vote before i intend it, clearly she is not confident on it and recent polls suggest there still is not a big enough appetite within the scottish public for independence. If they leave they will have to join as a new member, if they declare independence it will be completely separate negotiation. .

Or highly likely, is highly likely.

Like I just said, Sturgeon is going to meet with Brussels first. The only serious obstacle is Spain. If they can have an arrangement that guarantees Scotland to remain within the EU whilst the rest of the UK leaves, then you can wave goodbye to the Union.

Scottish Conservatives, Labour, Lib dems are still all for remain, whereas in the referendum every party was for remain strongly. To conflate Pro EU with pro nationalist lacks any understanding..

Ok. And? I think you fail to understand that the independence poll ran close fairly close last time.

The voter turnout in ireland was not nearly as good as projected, it was predicted it would be 3/1 in favour of remain. A vote for leaving the UK would be a whole other story. Aside from the obvious indispensable unionism there is in Northern Ireland which make up a good 50% of the population, there remains the obvious economic argument that for every 1 pound they pay in tax 2 pounds is sent in funding to their government, over 70% of their jobs are public sector and a vote for unification with ireland (governments of UK and ROI have categorically stated there will not be an independent NI) would create civil unrest of the troubles again which nobody has appetite for.

Who knows? People do stupid things all time, like vote for Brexit.
The euro is doomed long term, greece are 2 weeks away from defaulting on their loan again and sending the EU into shock once more.. enjoy your dream of utopia..

Don't care about the Euro.

Blah blah blah. People like you have been talking about "shocks" through the EU from the Greeks for last 10 years. Has not happened.
Reply 339
You can't stop them. The same way you can't stop a Zimbabwean from using the US dollar.

I would suspect that the EU would not be very keen on a member state (if Scotland were to become one, and that is the point of the discussion) using the currency of another state that was not itself an EU member, in fact I doubt we would even get a cup of tea out of the EU if we pitched up with such an approach.

I suspect the price now is either:

1, adopt the Euro
2. reintroduce the Scottish pound if the EU would accept a new enrtant not using the Euro.

At least with these we may get tea and a biscuit during our friendly chat.

The variables of independence just got a little more complicated since 2014 but at least one is removed, the currency would not be sterling.

Without any input into the quantum of the money supply/ interest rates Scotland would be incapable of correcting matters and even the EU would have no control over same, no, if rUK is leaving and Scotland wants EU membership then we stop using sterling.

Latest

Trending

Trending