The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by AverageExcellence
Because of the political situation in Ireland it is up to the secretary of state of NI to call for what they call a border poll only when there is a clear will of the Northern Irish people to join the south, that means that polling is absolutely clear, they will not even risk creating instability in Northern Ireland with the intense political issues it will create if they don't think it will yield an affirmative result.

Sturgeon certainly wont rush into anything, the voter turnout in scotland was far lower than it was projected, experts are suggesting there is significant voter fatigue here, 2014 referendum, may 2015 general election, may 2016 scottish election, june 2016 referendum.. average people are getting tired and turnout is taking being impacted. People want to see stability.

Sturgeon will need to let things dip and start to create new momentum for independence. Everybody is still emotional and knees are being jerked by that wont be enough to push for Scottish independence.. She will only do it if accurate polling suggests she can and many Scots (i live in scotland) are not convinced by the benefits of independence.

I think the remain camp will have far more ammunition this time around too, they will show that when the oil prices crashed scotand would have been screwed if they went independent and would count themselves lucky, It is essentially the same voter pool and the 5% margin is just too big to close, not many people voted remain because they wanted to remain in the EU as Sturgeon is opportunistically implying.

Overall the UK's economy will really have to go down the toilet over the next 5 years to really make Scottish independence viable.

Fair comment. We have always been out on the edge of the EU here, if rUK brokers a good exit relationship I suspect Scotland will remain in the UK, but if not, really not that sure, we may want direct relationship

To give an idea how unpopular someone like Farage is up here you may recall that on a visit here he had to flee from a pub his brand of Leave is anathema up here, so political events down south will also have a significant bearing on attitudes, if Conservatives and Labour votes desert to UKIP (no idea what UKIP will be for but whole political landscape is uncertain) and they started having influence on UK governance then that would be a push to independence.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Err what?

Not really. I bet for Brexit on the betting and currency markets.

Err. Ok then.

You were on here gloating about how we will be staying.. too bad you were wrong sonny jim
Reply 362
Or highly likely, is highly likely.

Like I just said, Sturgeon is going to meet with Brussels first. The only serious obstacle is Spain. If they can have an arrangement that guarantees Scotland to remain within the EU whilst the rest of the UK leaves, then you can wave goodbye to the Union.

Ok. And? I think you fail to understand that the independence poll ran close fairly close last time.

Who knows? People do stupid things all time, like vote for Brexit.

Somebody said Spain would be a problem if Scotland wanted to be in th EU WHY?
You were on here gloating about how we will be staying.. too bad you were wrong sonny jim

lol.hahahaha.

You are making things up as you are going along.

Don't worry. The money made me feel better.
Original post by alimc
Somebody said Spain would be a problem if Scotland wanted to be in th EU WHY?

Because of Catalonia.

If the Scottish have automatic entry into the EU after voting for independence then it leaves the door open for Catalonia, which the Spanish would never agree to.
lol.hahahaha.

You are making things up as you are going along.

Don't worry. The money made me feel better.

You're making me laugh too hard you didn't make anything hahahaha
Reply 366
My entire argument for Scotland remaining with the UK was that they simply couldn't be part of the EU for about 10 years under current rules and the effect on the economy would be significant.

Now, that Scotland has left, it is going to make the entire economic argument so much harder. Especially with the loss of jobs and likely recession.

Sorry, we have not yet left anything. The UK has not left the EU yet. The timetable is not yet known, it is guessed.

Sturgeon (and I do not particularly like the SNP) is only doing what she ought to be doing, seeing what options are available, watching what develops, and making a call thereafter as to what she will/will not propose to the Scottish people and when she will make any such proposal if one is to be made.Not an unreasonable position.
You're making me laugh too hard you didn't make anything hahahaha

Not really.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4175134&page=3&p=65932254#post65932254

Quite clearly wrote that HSBC had a 15-20% drop in the pound. If you had listened, you could made some money.

I am holding out for further drops in the next few months.
Original post by DJKL
Sorry, we have not yet left anything. The UK has not left the EU yet. The timetable is not yet known, it is guessed.

Sturgeon (and I do not particularly like the SNP) is only doing what she ought to be doing, seeing what options are available, watching what develops, and making a call thereafter as to what she will/will not propose to the Scottish people and when she will make any such proposal if one is to be made.Not an unreasonable position.

Well, I am assuming the UK is going to leave.

I am sure Sturgeon will be talking to Brussel officials. At least informally.
Reply 369
Because of Catalonia.

If the Scottish have automatic entry into the EU after voting for independence then it leaves the door open for Catalonia, which the Spanish would never agree to.

Sorry have to disagree there. Scotland is a country in its own right but Cataluña isn´t a country and never has been, the Spanish goverment have always said you can´t compare Cataluña with Scotland because the circumstances are not the same I don´t think there will be any problem there.
Original post by *Stefan*
Because everything will be fine eh? :rolleyes:

My friends said to me - "at least we're alive!"

That does not reassure me.
Original post by Zadkiel
Woke up with Brexit...

Markets are falling, Pound is falling to the lowest value in more than 40 years!

Reports say Northern Ireland and Scotland will vote to leave the UK.
Markets will prefer to trade with EU rather than UK and EU already reported they won't negotiate with UK a trade deal because "out means out".

Well done everyone... Well done Brits, today will start the ENGLISH independence day. Good luck with jobs - good luck because we will start getting the jobs the emigrants took, such as construction workers, McDonalds, etc.

Good luck to us all... the future won't be bright and a recession will come.

chill what the hell calm down everything will be fine just give time for Britain to get back on track again then everything is gonna be fine trust me just give them time
Well, I am assuming the UK is going to leave.

I am sure Sturgeon will be talking to Brussel officials. At least informally.

It has already been confirmed that she is.
Original post by blue sky1122
chill what the hell calm down everything will be fine just give time for Britain to get back on track again then everything is gonna be fine trust me just give them time

Why would I trust you instead of the economists that predicted the fall in the pound correctly?
Why would I trust you instead of the economists that predicted the fall in the pound correctly?

the pound had fallen before anyways
Original post by blue sky1122
the pound had fallen before anyways

WHat is your point?
Reply 376
I genuinely see no problem with Scotland leaving
Original post by the IT MAN
No they do not.

Do you think that Georges Lemaître posted it on facebook? No, he wrote it down in a book...
(edited 7 years ago)
WHat is your point?

i just made my point...
WHat is your point?

i just made my point what is ur problem?