The Student Room Group

University Course help!!!

Okay so I'm starting A levels in September and my choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Economics for AS level. I say or because depending on the uni course and career I decide on it could change. I need advice on whether I should go down the line of Astrophysics or Banking. Two very different areas I know, however I'm interested in both, astrophysics more. I'm torn between them because I've heard astrophysics is not very rewarding in terms of money although for me I find astrophysics and cosmology so interesting, however baking seems to be a lot more rewarding in finances however I know for a fact I won't enjoy it as much as I would doing Astrophysics. Also when I'm older I wish to move to the USA - lets say I do a degree in one or the other in the UK, which would give me a better chance of getting into the US? I appreciate your help thankyou :wink:)))))
I thought Astrophysics was quite well paid, if you were to live in the US you'd probably be aiming for like NASA. This is the jobs currently at NASA and the wages you'd get for them, I thought they were quite high but then it might not be what you want to do:
http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/default.htm

I'd always go for the thing you are more interested in, as I started Physics at the start of this year (because I thought it would look good with my A Levels) and hated it, and changed over to Further Maths, now I am happier and more motivated. Remember you are doing a degree for 3 years at least (mostly likely longer) so you want to do something you love. If you want to keep your options open I guess you could always go for a Maths and Physics joint degree as that would probably work for both careers. They also let you switch over to one of them if you decide the other one is not for you after the first year in a lot of Unis (but not all).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Student232
I thought Astrophysics was quite well paid, if you were to live in the US you'd probably be aiming for like NASA. This is the jobs currently at NASA and the wages you'd get for them, I thought they were quite high but then it might not be what you want to do:
http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/default.htm

I'd always go for the thing you are more interested in, as I started Physics at the start of this year (because I thought it would look good with my A Levels) and hated it, and changed over to Further Maths, now I am happier and more motivated. Remember you are doing a degree for 3 years at least (mostly likely longer) so you want to do something you love. If you want to keep your options open I guess you could always go for a Maths and Physics joint degree as that would probably work for both careers. They also let you switch over to one of them if you decide the other one is not for you after the first year in a lot of Unis (but not all).

Hope this helps :smile:

Thankyou I will take a look at them - I love maths over physics because there are parts of physics I despise like generators and all that but astrophysics is just so fascinating, but I'll certainly look at them thankyou!!
Original post by willg66
Thankyou I will take a look at them - I love maths over physics because there are parts of physics I despise like generators and all that but astrophysics is just so fascinating, but I'll certainly look at them thankyou!!

I'm exactly the same haha I love maths but wouldn't necessarily want a career in banking. I think if you were to do a full maths degree you could probably do a postgraduate in astrophysics but you'd have to check that out. I'm looking at doing something similar but with meteorology or climate science :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by willg66
Okay so I'm starting A levels in September and my choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Economics for AS level. I say or because depending on the uni course and career I decide on it could change. I need advice on whether I should go down the line of Astrophysics or Banking. Two very different areas I know, however I'm interested in both, astrophysics more. I'm torn between them because I've heard astrophysics is not very rewarding in terms of money although for me I find astrophysics and cosmology so interesting, however baking seems to be a lot more rewarding in finances however I know for a fact I won't enjoy it as much as I would doing Astrophysics. Also when I'm older I wish to move to the USA - lets say I do a degree in one or the other in the UK, which would give me a better chance of getting into the US? I appreciate your help thankyou :wink:)))))

If you were certain you wanted to go into one of those two areas I would say choose economics over chemistry as you don't need chemistry for Physics courses at university and chemistry is often considered one of the hardest a-levels, I didn't personally take chemistry or economics but I did maths, further maths and physics and they are all quite demanding. I don't know if economics is much 'easier' than chemistry, but I think it would be nice to have a slightly contrasting subject in terms on uni applications and just for yourself. Unless you really enjoy chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest