The Student Room Group

Help me make my decision about staying with my girlfriend

I want to first say that this girl is so great, she is nice amazing carign and i dont even have the time to tell you guys how great she is on this post because honestly itll take me forever
Now, im leaving to UK for alevels next year, so currently we are together for around 7 months and honestly it feels longer because we were unofficially dating ages before that so take that into account. I have tried an Ldr with a girl before in the uk it didn't work after 13 months i dont want to do that again so i told her taht after a lot of talking we agreed we would have to break and it broke her heart but i cant help it.
Now, she suggest we try and make use of our time till then and be with each other i feel like that'll just hurt me more at the end part of me wants to try and stay with her but it just seems sad dating someone counting the months left rather then count the number of months together part of me thinks letting go now will hurt less and i just dont know what do. I need some advice on all of this.
Also, next year will be the hardest year of my school life im applying to unis like oxford hopefully (depends on my predicted) and i need to obviously work hard now shes willing to fully give me time and she has proved that she can go without a lot of attention but she does get sad, I feel like if we date we would have to put extra effort into the relationship to even make it last till i leave adn that might mess with my alevels and with her 1st year at university (she did foundation but we are both in the same country). Taking in all of this please give me advice on my situation :frown:( its killing me
Original post by Anonymous
I want to first say that this girl is so great, she is nice amazing carign and i dont even have the time to tell you guys how great she is on this post because honestly itll take me forever
Now, im leaving to UK for alevels next year, so currently we are together for around 7 months and honestly it feels longer because we were unofficially dating ages before that so take that into account. I have tried an Ldr with a girl before in the uk it didn't work after 13 months i dont want to do that again so i told her taht after a lot of talking we agreed we would have to break and it broke her heart but i cant help it.
Now, she suggest we try and make use of our time till then and be with each other i feel like that'll just hurt me more at the end part of me wants to try and stay with her but it just seems sad dating someone counting the months left rather then count the number of months together part of me thinks letting go now will hurt less and i just dont know what do. I need some advice on all of this.
Also, next year will be the hardest year of my school life im applying to unis like oxford hopefully (depends on my predicted) and i need to obviously work hard now shes willing to fully give me time and she has proved that she can go without a lot of attention but she does get sad, I feel like if we date we would have to put extra effort into the relationship to even make it last till i leave adn that might mess with my alevels and with her 1st year at university (she did foundation but we are both in the same country). Taking in all of this please give me advice on my situation :frown:( its killing me

Will you two afford to see each other monthly?

Love like that doesn't come twice, if she's worth it then you will try because nothing is easy in Life. Plus if you'll have her, you'll be motivated and happy. Don't just end it or trash it, you might just regret later that you never tried.
Good luck xx
Hey, my ex boyfriend and I was in the exact same position a month ago. He decided to break up with me and take a break because I will be on my placement year. I was hurt and devasted. I do understand your reason that you do not want to lose her and have a bad break ups but isn't it worth trying?

If two people are meant to be together then they will be. I bet everyone will have to go through distance even after they are married. I do know people that have done long distance relationship and last for 5 years or 2. I would regret more not taking the chances. Right now I can honestly my ex did regret not trying hard but I have moved on and tried my best to forget him. I moved on quickly not because I do not love him that much but i loved him too much that I cried all day, didnt eat anything (lost 5 kg in 3 days) , trying to convince him, searching stuff online and then I decided he is not trying therefore, we are not meant for each others.

I would recommend you two to set a certain time for skype or talk to each other. Having an agreement to the time would make both side happy and not having to wait for another without knowing the time.

Goodluck! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Guys I'm not deciding right now whether to stay in an ldr or breaks up next year we are deciding to either end it right now to save our heart ache in the future if it happens and not take the risk of hating each other or instead keep going and see where the wind takes us even if that is to a break up
Just get rid of her
Original post by neal95
Just get rid of her

thats harsh to say. take time and decide what is best so that none of you get hurt. dont just lose contact with her as you dont know what may happen
If this person is as great and as wonderful to you as you say she is - don't leave her or break it off. Think about it. This person could be someone so special in your life and you'll break it off just because you can't figure out long-distance? Stay with her. Do whatever you can to make it work. No amount of titles before your name can compensate for true happiness and a happy relationship.
Original post by Miniature99
thats harsh to say. take time and decide what is best so that none of you get hurt. dont just lose contact with her as you dont know what may happen

Hmm I guess it might be seen to be harsh by some but I think that in the long run if it's gonna end its best you do it now and she get it out of her system before uni etc starts to take over. Chances are the op and maybe his gf will meet someone at uni anyway as many people I know fell apart by doing Ldr in first 2 weeks at uni. I think the op should try to detach himself from emotions and see things more like a robot, using logic rather than emotion to dictate his decision. Head over heart for example
Original post by neal95
Hmm I guess it might be seen to be harsh by some but I think that in the long run if it's gonna end its best you do it now and she get it out of her system before uni etc starts to take over. Chances are the op and maybe his gf will meet someone at uni anyway as many people I know fell apart by doing Ldr in first 2 weeks at uni. I think the op should try to detach himself from emotions and see things more like a robot, using logic rather than emotion to dictate his decision. Head over heart for example

but is she has been their for him then they should not just break off like that
Original post by Miniature99
but is she has been their for him then they should not just break off like that

Maybe but it's what's best for the parties. No point continuing something if to you know the end result. Short term pain long term gain maybe? There may be tears but what don't kill you make you stronger. Anyway, I hope op makes the right choice regarding this tough decision. There will be other women op
Guys I'm not deciding right now whether to stay in an ldr or breaks up next year we are deciding to either end it right now to save our heart ache in the future if it happens and not take the risk of hating each other or instead keep going and see where the wind takes us even if that is to a break up

If you are thinking of breaking up then don't wait, that is harsh on her to string her along until then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending