The Student Room Group

I'm an 18 year old child

This is such an embarrassing thing to talk about but all my friends are independent and are becoming adults yet I can't do anything by myself. Part of it stems from my over protective parents, they don't let me do anything on my own (like taking the bus, go out unless they drop me etc). And part of it stems from me being so shy. Everytime I'm invited out or asked to go somewhere I always decline. I do not know how to take the bus or tram. I can't tell my friends this as its so embarrassing. I walk to sixth form everyday but I'll be starting uni next year and it's too far to walk. I also really want to get a job but whenever I bring it up my parents say I'm not allowed and I also have no idea how to go about it without their help. What can I do, how do you even take the bus/ tram and how are you supposed to apply for jobs????!!?? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump::bump::bump:
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG you sound exactly like me :ahee: other than the bus thing
go to indeed for jobs :h:
Reply 3
Look at bus routes. It's not hard, you can find all the information you need online. Again, look for jobs online.

Are you really 18?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
This is such an embarrassing thing to talk about but all my friends are independent and are becoming adults yet I can't do anything by myself. Part of it stems from my over protective parents, they don't let me do anything on my own (like taking the bus, go out unless they drop me etc). And part of it stems from me being so shy. Everytime I'm invited out or asked to go somewhere I always decline. I do not know how to take the bus or tram. I can't tell my friends this as its so embarrassing. I walk to sixth form everyday but I'll be starting uni next year and it's too far to walk. I also really want to get a job but whenever I bring it up my parents say I'm not allowed and I also have no idea how to go about it without their help. What can I do, how do you even take the bus/ tram and how are you supposed to apply for jobs????!!?? :frown:

It's not their decision. It's yours. Talk to your parents. Start taking bus rides from one location to the next. remember where each bus goes and keep doing this until you know where every bus goes from outside your house. Do not be afraid to get lost, just make sure you carry money with you, have money on your bank card and oyster. Go for walks, just be alone in your own company. Find out where your friends go and find out how to get there before you actually go out with them.
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You're 18 and you don't know how to take the bus?! :dong: :sigh:

Well, first thing's first, buy an Oyster card and you can top this up with money at many convenience stores.

Is Oyster card exclusive to London or do we have them everywhere in the uk?
Reply 6
Original post by tailred
It's not their decision. It's yours. Talk to your parents. Start taking bus rides from one location to the next. remember where each bus goes and keep doing this until you know where every bus goes from outside your house. Do not be afraid to get lost, just make sure you carry money with you, have money on your bank card and oyster. Go for walks, just be alone in your own company. Find out where your friends go and find out how to get there before you actually go out with them.

Ok, that's a good idea. I'll practice in the holidays.
Reply 7
Original post by fatima1998
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG you sound exactly like me :ahee: other than the bus thing
go to indeed for jobs :h:

Both my parents are Asian, maybe it's bc of that:redface: Asian parents seem to be really overly protective
Just go out and have a wander, all by yourself. Take things in or try anything you haven't, like taking the bus, just stay in a bus stand and watch people get on and off.

Hang around and observe people doing stuff you're not sure about. Eat in a shop alone, eat something new, wander around shops you've never been to before.

Apply to jobs and stuff without telling anyone, if one day you happen to land one and your parents say omggg why didn't u tell us just say ***** WHY WOULD I TELL YOU and enjoy your new sense of freedom.
Reply 9
Is Oyster card exclusive to London or do we have them everywhere in the uk?

They're exclusive to London.
Both my parents are Asian, maybe it's bc of that:redface: Asian parents seem to be really overly protective

i am like locked in a prison in my house :erm:
my parents cause me depression - defo moving towards this state :sigh:
Original post by eden3
They're exclusive to London.

What is it though, is it just a bus pass? If it is it's probably just called something else where I live.
Reply 12
dw some people like you are in their 40s. just dont end up like them and ull be fine
Original post by fatima1998
i am like locked in a prison in my house :erm:
my parents cause me depression - defo moving towards this state :sigh:

Same, I love my parents but they just won't let me grow up. I'm grateful for them but everyone else around me is allowed to explore and go out but I'm stuck in the house :frown: That's why I really want to learn how to use the bus and get a job, then I won't have to rely on them all the time.
Reply 14
What is it though, is it just a bus pass? If it is it's probably just called something else where I live.

No they're not just for buses. It's used for TfL (Transport for London).

From the oyster website:

Oyster is a plastic smartcard which can hold pay as you go credit, Travelcards and Bus & Tram Passes. You can use an Oyster card to travel on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line, River Bus services and most National Rail services in London.

link: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/what-is-oyster
Aw OP, everyone's making light of the situation but I think your parents have totally failed in preparing you for adulthood which really sucks! Everyone should be able to take care of themselves. Do you have a bank account? Do you know where the bus stop closest to your house is? You should definitely learn how to get from home to town or school or uni or wherever it is you need to go regularly. There's a bunch of different systems in place depending on where you live but you'll be able to get around fine if you just say 'single (or return) into town please'. Do you live in a city?

Essentially, but for all public transport.
Posted from TSR Mobile

They're protecting you from the Mardy bus drivers. :colonhash:
I wish I never met them.
OP, I relate to your problem so hard!
what's stranger is that my sister, who's 3 years younger is treated like an adult and told to babysit me :s-smilie:

I hope to god they get off my case and realise I'm grown when I'm at uni :-(
Original post by LannaBanana
Aw OP, everyone's making light of the situation but I think your parents have totally failed in preparing you for adulthood which really sucks! Everyone should be able to take care of themselves. Do you have a bank account? Do you know where the bus stop closest to your house is? You should definitely learn how to get from home to town or school or uni or wherever it is you need to go regularly. There's a bunch of different systems in place depending on where you live but you'll be able to get around fine if you just say 'single (or return) into town please'. Do you live in a city?

Yes I do I live in a city I live in Manchester, we moved here when I was around 4 or 5 so I've been here for a long time, I know where all the essential places are, but if someone asked me to meet them somewhere in town that wasn't the arndale I would have no idea how to get there. All the places I need to go like school or the supermarket are all within walking distance. I will practice taking the bus and tram in the holidays, I'm just so scared that I'll get lost or end up somewhere and have no idea how to get home. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending