The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welshiee
A large proportion of the votes are not even from the UK. This petition has been torn to shreds on Reddit. The remain campaign are repeatedly embarrassing themselves to no surprise at all.

They really are disgusting.
A large proportion of the votes are not even from the UK. This petition has been torn to shreds on Reddit. The remain campaign are repeatedly embarrassing themselves to no surprise at all.

Indeed. I also like that they're whining en masse about the grey Leave vote when turnout for 18-24 year olds was 36%. It's pretty hard to claim that 'we should get to decide, because it's our future!' when a majority of the group in question can't be bothered to go and vote.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Indeed. I also like that they're whining en masse about the grey Leave vote when turnout for 18-24 year olds was 36%. It's pretty hard to claim that 'we should get to decide, because it's our future!' when a majority of the group in question can't be bothered to go and vote.

To the contrary, a lot of the older generation have experienced both life before and after the EU so were unlikely to be undeterred by the fear mongering nonsense spouted by the remain campaign. A lot of older people have wisdom and experience the younger generation do not, yet they continuously try to portray all older voters as the crazy old man down the pub. I think I'll put my future in the hands of those with the experience and wisdom rather than 21 year old self proclaimed know it alls who need to climb down from their own asses.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

That's whats funny, 18-24 are the ones complaining and yet they couldn't even be bothered to turn up and vote
To the contrary, a lot of the older generation have experienced both life before and after the EU so were unlikely to be undeterred by the fear mongering nonsense spouted by the remain campaign. A lot of older people have wisdom and experience the younger generation do not, yet they continuously try to portray all older voters as the crazy old man down the pub. I think I'll put my future in the hands of those with the experience and wisdom rather than 21 year old self proclaimed know it alls who need to climb down from their own asses.

I agree entirely. Frankly I'd make the next referendum an increase in the voting age. I bet you'd still get less than half of 18-24 year olds showing up.
Original post by jneill
There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
=> https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 1.75 million signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

86% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.

We just reached 2 million signatures.
Original post by Cherry82

With 600,000 + votes who don't live in the UK, congrats
Original post by Tom_BCFC

Wow
Original post by Cherry82

Still honestly doubt that this 2nd referendum will actually happen...
Reply 449
Original post by Black Cat
Results are results if referendums were to be obligated to use that criteria then we'd never be able to come to any conclusions. The Scottish independence referendum end result wasn't exactly clear cut either.

Which is why they were always going to jump at the slightest chance of calling another one.
Reply 450

Source?

If it's based on the JSON then you can't add up, and the JSON is out of date.

Don't be racist/xenophobic pls

Clearly an e-petition from a far smaller proportion of the population than that which actually voted Remain should be enough to overturn the referendum result, and the fact that some of them are 'foreign' is just typical fear of 'the other'.
Original post by spotify95
Still honestly doubt that this 2nd referendum will actually happen...

Yea, I know but I'm just hoping for the best at this point. If it never happens, at least we tried.
Reply 453
It takes a 75% vote for a men-only golf club to allow women members, and 50.01% vote to fundamentally change the sociopolitical and economic destiny of a country.
Original post by jneill
It takes a 75% vote for a men-only golf club to allow women members, and 50.01% vote to fundamentally change the sociopolitical and economic destiny of a country.

Given that we were never given a vote on Maastricht or Lisbon, you could quite readily formulate an argument that Remain should require a 75% vote, if we're accepting an inbuilt status-quo bias as proper.
Original post by The Roast
So glad you've changed your mind :lol:

I left myself open to that one :biggrin:
The point is that the petition is a complete waste of time, nothing is going to happen
Original post by Rakas21
Dublin and Frankfurt gain in the long run but an independent UK is far more likely to make London a tax haven than chase the rich away. We'll be fine whether in London or Leeds.

Well under the torries yeah. That said if the economy is quite turbulent until then they could end up on the losing end of the next election. Doubt there will be any tax haven's under the likes of Jezza, though I'd be surprised if he is still in control by then.
Original post by stev43219
Your attitude of name calling and fear is exactly why the remain camp lost

right, because there was no fear and name calling on the leave side.

You are deluded to think that both sides were not equally as bad, at least the 'fear' that the remain side have talked about was actually accurate and backed up by reputable economists etc. Leave on the other hand was much more of a propaganda campaign that resembled Nazi Germany more than the UK, it really did make me sick that so many just goebbeled it up as fact. In fact now that I think about it, leave side was definitely worse than remain, yet they won, so no, name calling and fear had nothing to do with the remain side loss.

The main reason, in my opinion, was an unrepresented class who simply had no idea what they were even doing were given a say in something they knew nothing about. Little Englanders played apart also, but it was those who didn't usually vote in anything that won it. Funny thing is, it is those same people who will pay the price for it, sadly they are making us pay for it also.

Just to avoid opening a whole new can of worms, I'm not for one second saying everything the remain camp said was true/will come true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending