The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

2.13 million signatures now... :eek:
Original post by joecphillips
I'm sorry if I offended you in some way I am annoyed at all the people who don't realise that this is the choice of the people and are basically saying take the vote away from the poor.

I disagree. It's taking the vote away from the uneducated ignorants who do not understand the gravitas of the referendum.
Original post by jneill
There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
=> https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 2 million signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

86% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.

Very sad that 2 million people don't believe in democracy.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I disagree. It's taking the vote away from the uneducated ignorants who do not understand the gravitas of the referendum.

Oh, the irony.

Your sentence is similar to saying "uneducated stupids". You mean "ignoramuses". :h:
There is no second referendum. But be strong. All the best. Have a good day, and good health.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4186437
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by toronto353

I really don't think it's against democracy. It's more about the fact that so many people who voted leave want to change their vote or weren't truly aware of implications, etc.

It isn't undemocratic to have a second vote - with our PM, EU commissioner, and potentially countries, abandoning us, circumstances HAVE changed and inevitably people's opinions will have, too.

I doubt it will achieve anything but instead i hope it makes government not activate the leave treaty...
An exercise in futility :lol:

What's done is done and we'll have to just get on with it :bigsmile:

Well, wait to see how the 'uneducated ignorants' respond to being overruled days after having their say.

The least grave scenario is UKIP absolutely dominating the north and the midlands in the next GE.
If you look at the .json format and search for "United Kingdom" you'll see that only 359,962 are voters who live in the UK.

Numbers accurate as of 19:34.
Original post by shreddingfish92
If you look at the .json format and search for "United Kingdom" you'll see that only 359,962 are voters who live in the UK.

Numbers accurate as of 19:34.

Yes but if you scroll down further than that you see a breakdown by UK region
Original post by toronto353

Lol ok, when exactly did petitioning and freedom of expression become less democratic than a lead of 3.8% of the voting population being considered a large enough to decide the entire future of our country? In what world is it democratic to put forward such a drastic motion for a population which barely half the voting public wanted -- and now a huge portion of no longer want. The referendum results do not reflect the current views of the general public, it's perfectly democratic for the public to wish for a second referendum on the topic.
Original post by 1010marina
Yes but if you scroll down further than that you see a breakdown by UK region

What does that matter? Unless I've got something wrong the UK count is the total number of those voters detailed under region below.

Remain campaign in a nutshell. And you wonder why Leave won....
According to Sky Data, only 36% of 18-24 year olds bothered voting. Just an interesting statistic...
Reply 474
Original post by Desi123

Did you see the top reply to that tweet?

Spoiler

Also
https://waitingfortax.com/2016/06/24/when-i-say-no-i-mean-maybe/
Original post by Desi123
Oh, the irony.

Your sentence is similar to saying "uneducated stupids". You mean "ignoramuses". :h:

I made a typo 🙄 Jesus

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well, wait to see how the 'uneducated ignorants' respond to being overruled days after having their say.

The least grave scenario is UKIP absolutely dominating the north and the midlands in the next GE.

Original post by KimKallstrom
Remain campaign in a nutshell. And you wonder why Leave won....

No. I think there are plenty of Remain voters who shouldn't have been allowed to vote either. There are too many people who have no idea what they've voted for. Read my response here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4185493&p=66102009#post66102009
17 million as a percentage of 44 million which is about 38% of eligible voters - MOST ELIGIBLE VOTERS DID NOT VOTE TO LEAVE

For DEMOCRACY the leave side really needed to get 50.01% of eligible voters
Original post by Good bloke
Then Norway is foolish. We don't need access to the single market, and I hope we don't pay anything to get it. A simple request for free trade, with WTO terms if we don't would suffice.

If tariffs are imposed on us then we should reciprocate. W"e are net importers from the EU, so EU countries would suffer far more in a tariff exchange.

The EU does not need the UK as much as you'd like to think. The UK is fairly irrelevant without the EU in my opinion. Perhaps in 1916 you had an argument, but its 100 years down the line now. You disagree, I know, so no need to come back with Donald Trump style rhetoric about how great England is etc, so lets just agree to disagree. I'm fed up arguing about this whole thing now tbh. I've got an Irish passport, I am and always will be a citizen of Europe so long as it exists, and the way things are shaping up, it should exist longer than the UK will as we know it.
Reply 478
Original post by Alexion
a) we haven't left yet.
b) the EU is the countries within it, so that doesn't make sense.

Some nice grammar in there btw :cute:

Oh, and the Leave camp are fine ones to talk about 'copying what everyone else says'...

would have been nice to hear some counter arguments rather than irrelevant grammar nazi comments. democracy shows people disagree with you, get over it. We aren't returning to the EU.
Original post by gro
would have been nice to hear some counter arguments rather than irrelevant grammar nazi comments. democracy shows people disagree with you, get over it. We aren't returning to the EU.

I made 4 points, one was on grammar :cute: your point about making counter arguments is 100% hypocritical, well done.

Quick Reply

Latest