The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
There is quite a strong correlation between wage levels and likelihood of voting for leave. Should we also call into question whether people who earn below £14/hour should allowed to vote?

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/blog/the-referendum-living-standards-and-inequality/

That is definitely not a "strong correlation". There's a correlation but not a strong one.
Original post by lerjj
I honestly refuse to believe that most people ages 18-25 are actually swayed by what their parents/lecturers say. No more so that everyone else is by what the politicians say, anyhow.

As for being swayed by your environment growing up, that doesn't change as you get older. Hence why we're seeing such a generational divide here - older people grew up in an isolationist world that no longer exists. Younger people have always been in the EU and don't have any identity qualms with it.

For the last time, I do not want people to vote for what they think is best for me. I am perfectly capable of making that decision myself.

You may aswell be a 14 year old screaming "i know whats best!", when you don't, and only when you are older will you realise that. Britain has not been isolationist for hundreds of years, if ever. Not being in a supercontinent in which you've no influence of the policies you are governed by, is not isolationist at all. We will still trade, still have people coming here, still have people going over there, just as we have done for hundreds of years prior to the EU. Only, we get to decide our own laws by a government which serves the people and can be voted out by our people. We don't have that power over an EU government. You are outraged by over 65's deciding your future, even though you get to vote, or will do shortly. Why aren't you similarly outraged over an unanswerable EU bureaucracy in which you'll NEVER get to see your opinion represented, you'll NEVER have a vote on their policies, you'll never have any power at all? Your worldview is inconsistent to the point of absurdity. Is there one good argument for remaining in the EU that you have, or is it entirely emotional and ideological fluff??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by microsoft
You may aswell be a 14 year old screaming "i know whats best!", when you don't, and only when you are older will you realise that. Britain has not been isolationist for hundreds of years, if ever. Not being in a supercontinent in which you've no influence of the policies you are governed by, is not isolationist at all. We will still trade, still have people coming here, still have people going over there, just as we have done for hundreds of years prior to the EU. Only, we get to decide our own laws by a government which serves the people and can be voted out by our people. We don't have that power over an EU government. You are outraged by over 65's deciding your future, even though you get to vote, or will do shortly. Why aren't you similarly outraged over an unanswerable EU bureaucracy in which you'll NEVER get to see your opinion represented, you'll NEVER have a vote on their policies, you'll never have any power at all? Your worldview is inconsistent to the point of absurdity. Is there one good argument for remaining in the EU that you have, or is it entirely emotional and ideological fluff??

For the record, I voted remain. My borough overall voted slightly in favour of remain.

And yes, we've never been "isolationist" in an extreme since in the last hundred years or so (not since before the Empire anyway). What I mean is, the world has shrunk a lot since package holidays in the 70s-80s and the internet in the 90s. Those who are 65+ did experience some of that, yes, but they're still the age bracket that's overwhelmingly more likely to visit a railway town for a holiday rather than France.

Why am I not outraged over EU beuarocracy is harder to explain. Mainly its because I don't actually have a problem with beaurocracy (other than spelling) in general but that's a separate issue. Other than that, it's probably because we do elect out MEPs same as our MPs. You might as well claim that you don't get representation in Westminster as that you don't get in in Brussels. Also, England has almost 10 times more civil servants than the entire EU, so it's hardly less red tape (which we'll mostly still have to follow if it refers to product standards).
Original post by lerjj
For the record, I voted remain. My borough overall voted slightly in favour of remain.

And yes, we've never been "isolationist" in an extreme since in the last hundred years or so (not since before the Empire anyway). What I mean is, the world has shrunk a lot since package holidays in the 70s-80s and the internet in the 90s. Those who are 65+ did experience some of that, yes, but they're still the age bracket that's overwhelmingly more likely to visit a railway town for a holiday rather than France.

Why am I not outraged over EU beuarocracy is harder to explain. Mainly its because I don't actually have a problem with beaurocracy (other than spelling) in general but that's a separate issue. Other than that, it's probably because we do elect out MEPs same as our MPs. You might as well claim that you don't get representation in Westminster as that you don't get in in Brussels. Also, England has almost 10 times more civil servants than the entire EU, so it's hardly less red tape (which we'll mostly still have to follow if it refers to product standards).

Saying that the world has shrunk doesn't mean anything to me. Does China, America, Japan etc etc need to be in a union because the world has shrunk? Ofcourse not. Has not being in the EU harmed Switzerland and Norway? No, they are some of the wealthiest nations per capita on Earth. Does not being in a union prohibit us from visiting these countries and trading with them, even emigrating to them if we can work there? No, it doesn't.

You elect MEPs who have no influence at the EU, they are only there as a buffer between the people and the bureaucracy. The head honchos at the EU aren't elected, you can't vote them out, and they have no obligation to look out for your interests. Why would they? they don't even need to live in your country. I can't see any argument here to stay in the EU.
Original post by lerjj
those stats are wrong - they're poll results about predicted turnout, the actual turnout for 18-25 was 43%

And you can't really blame young people for not voting as much, because we're constantly outvoted by old people that we don't sympathise with. I don't like politicians, but at least some of them are closer to my age than a lot of the electorate! Its a self-feeding cycle, and yes, the way out is for youth turnout to improve, but its difficult to when the political process is already so backwards.

Okay... 43% then...
It's still really low and the same people are now complaining about Brexit and pretending to be some economy experts.
Original post by lerjj
The reason we're pissed off is that we're the future, and yet you don't seem to think we should have any say in it.

Honestly, if you're a retired 70 yeal old, why would you even vote on this? How does this affect you? Because the only possible impact I can see is the £80bn lost in pension funds so far.

Nevertheless you should respect the advice and decisions the elderly make, for the reasons I stated previously.
My age group (18-24) are voting for young people's future but they did not represent young people's message rationally (shouting buzzwords is not rationally as far as I'm concerned) nor enough of them actively participate in the campaigns. Knowing this, they shouldn't be surprised/bitter at the outcome.
As for the people who say that 16 year olds should vote; I am completely against it. I don't know what part of England you're from but where I live, the 16 years old are too concerned about how to get cigarettes, drugs and sex; they can't even name more than three politicians, or even past prime ministers, never mind the pros and cons of staying in/leaving the EU.
If you have twitter, you must have been aware of the 'magic star crisis' where people were voting remain because it was rumored that if we left the EU, we would not longer have access to magic stars. This alone perfectly reflects the mindset and priorities of those under 18.

Sure, some old people have gone senile, but they possess wisdom and experience that no textbook can grant you; and you have to respect that.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Well it's tough luck. What is done is done. There's no point moaning about it.

Pensioners deciding what's better for Britain for the next 50 years is not a trivial claim to dispute :fyi:

And stop saying what's done is done stop moaning. This is a forum ffs
Original post by TaintedLight
Pensioners deciding what's better for Britain for the next 50 years is not a trivial claim to dispute :fyi:

And stop saying what's done is done stop moaning. This is a forum ffs

Moaning won't solve much. A lot of people on this forum are being extremely childish. I know you're upset but we need to look forward instead of looking backwards.
Why are young people allowed to vote?

You have little life experience, you probably haven't had a full time job, paid many if any taxes..

GTFO crybaby

Britain isn't even on the ****ing Euro, we have our own currency though if we remained I'm sure over time we would get rid of it.

EU is a disaster, look at Greece, look at Italy, Spain and even across the pond in France...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamiep151
They've paid taxes for around 40 years, how much have you paid?

:ditto: exact words right out of my mouth.
(edited 7 years ago)
Their inability to understand economics has just made my life more difficult ?

How about they probably have a greater understanding of economics and politics then you.
They've had to put up with EU s*** for way longer than you,
Someone who is 65 could live another 30 years and still be affected
They're most likely to have worked and paid taxes the past 40 years whilst all someone at uni has ever done is take from the system.
So yes, they should be allowed to vote and people like you should not.
That's not wise at all, it is arrogant and ignorant.
These are your mothers and fathers who have life experience, who love their children and want to do the best for them, using the knowledge and the experience that they have in advantage of us. You are implying that they do not know what we do, when in actual fact they know alot more. You may not grasp it, but it is incredibly easy to manipulate young people, especially those who have no life experience outside of 20 years schooling, during which time we are the putty for professors and ideology of the ruling class who guide the curriculum, and decide what ideas we are exposed to. What you propose is not only ignorant and arrogant but incredibly dangerous and antithetical to a liberal, democratic society.

if your view of a liberal, democratic society is one conducted excluding those with only "20 years of schooling" from the vote, then I have some news for you
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Moaning won't solve much. A lot of people on this forum are being extremely childish. I know you're upset but we need to look forward instead of looking backwards.

Stop regurgitating ffs!

You either appreciate there is a problem when a bunch of uneducated pensioners outvote on something that they won't be part of in the long run or refute by saying it's not a problem because of XYZ XYZ,

Stop dodging by saying stop moaning FFS!

Original post by 09craige
How about they probably have a greater understanding of economics and politics then you.
They've had to put up with EU s*** for way longer than you,
Someone who is 65 could live another 30 years and still be affected
They're most likely to have worked and paid taxes the past 40 years whilst all someone at uni has ever done is take from the system.
So yes, they should be allowed to vote and people like you should not.

I'm sorry but you dont deserve my response
Stop regurgitating ffs!

You either appreciate there is a problem when a bunch of uneducated pensioners outvote on something that they won't be part of in the long run or refute by saying it's not a problem because of XYZ XYZ,

Stop replying to me. You're still going on and on.
Original post by Lrrgolas
if your view of a liberal, democratic society is one conducted excluding those with only "20 years of schooling" from the vote, then I have some news for you

No-one has excluded you, you are perfectly eligible to vote. I take it you did, and you lost because more people disagreed with you than agreed. Accept the result, this is how democracy works. It is only you and the OP who has tried to take away the votes of people.
WOW.

We had a DEMOCRATIC referendum. And you lot lost.

You keep saying you're so intelligent. So why don't you get it. YOU LOST!
Stop regurgitating ffs!

I'm sorry but you dont deserve my response

You don't seem to have a response. You are a prime example of the failures of our education system; brainwashed to be a fascist in liberal clothing.
What you are proposing is absolutely absurd - get the most ignorant people with the least life experience to make all of the decisions and disallow the vote to anyone else. Can't you see how dangerously brainwashed you are, how obscenely self entitled you are? How much of an absolute tool you are for the people who 'educated' you and used media to brainwash you for all of your very short life? Do you have one good argument for staying in the EU? No, you do not.
Original post by neal95
How dare you advocate the banning of our ex serviceman doctors civil servants house builders bankers labourers etc from voting. All the young care about is Erasmus funding and visa free travel #firstworldproblems

:toofunny: ikr!!! idiots.
You don't seem to have a response. You are a prime example of the failures of our education system; brainwashed to be a fascist in liberal clothing.
What you are proposing is absolutely absurd - get the most ignorant people with the least life experience to make all of the decisions and disallow the vote to anyone else. Can't you see how dangerously brainwashed you are, how obscenely self entitled you are? How much of an absolute tool you are for the people who 'educated' you and used media to brainwash you for all of your very short life? Do you have one good argument for staying in the EU? No, you do not.

Prime example of the failures of our education system :rolleyes:

Not it's not absurd. It just simply against the status quo and I happen to question it.

Quality not quantity. I may live up 100 years but the 99 years of life experience is worthless if I choose to sit at home and live on my pension. So simply having faith on some one who had -a lot- of life experience is, to put in your words, absurd.

The rest of your post is just useless insults seemingly supposed to trigger me. Nice try though. Since you are new user I don't mind being a little too soft on you :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending