The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

There are 500 MPs, 400 are pro-EU.
There will be no Brexit from London or Scottish MPs that is a certainity.

The other MPs might be a mix bag - but will they get a majority without an election?
I doubt it.

You are being childish because you are refusing to admit the problem you are in.

I am fighting until the ink is dry and nothing else can be done.
We are MILES away from that point.
It would be IMMORAL and ANTI-DEMOCRATIC if any of those 400 PRO-EU MPs voted out without having an ELECTION first.

People voted for them thinking, in part that they were Pro-EU.

Voters in Sheffield voting for Brexit but did not believe it would actually happen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36630879
Original post by FredOrJohn
17 million as a percentage of 44 million which is about 38% of eligible voters - MOST ELIGIBLE VOTERS DID NOT VOTE TO LEAVE

For DEMOCRACY the leave side really needed to get 50.01% of eligible voters

Voting is not compulsory. In a free and democratic society you have every right not to exercise your right to vote.
Original post by shreddingfish92
Voting is not compulsory. In a free and democratic society you have every right not to exercise your right to vote.

It needed 50% of eligible voters to get Scottish parliament.
People dont understand what a democracy is. We are leaving! Accept it or **** off to a dictatorship like China
Voters in Sheffield voting for Brexit but did not believe it would actually happen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36630879

Wow I take it there will be no more Spanish cherries.
Shame on everyone signing this petition.

I'm 18 years old and I voted Leave, as did more than 17 million other people, the biggest vote for any cause or party since the introduction of universal suffrage. Our votes will not be ignored or erased, certainly not by some whiny Remainers signing a petition.

There were and are respectable differences of opinion about Brexit, but I have no respect for those who only like democracy when it goes their way. The reaction among a significant section of Remainers to the will of the people is disturbing. The bile and bigotry directed at Leave voters - supposedly, we are all racist, bigoted, xenophobic, uneducated, gullible, old, intolerant - is shocking from people who see themselves as supposedly enlightened and tolerant.
17 million as a percentage of 44 million which is about 38% of eligible voters - MOST ELIGIBLE VOTERS DID NOT VOTE TO LEAVE

Clinging to everything you possibly can to say the didn't win, accept facts remain lost.

Most eligible voters did not vote to Remain either, so what?

No government or referendum in the history of this country has ever got 50%+1 of the popular vote. Ever. I think the highest may have been Scottish independence where No got about 42% of eligible voters. Under your definition, there has never been any democracy in the UK.

And why should those who couldn't be bothered to cast a vote have any say in the outcome? Non-voters should not be counted as a Remain vote, they are not a vote at all. The 28% of non-voters had a chance and simply choose not to express a view. These peoples non-votes should not affect in any way those of us who did vote.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
right, because there was no fear and name calling on the leave side.

You are deluded to think that both sides were not equally as bad, at least the 'fear' that the remain side have talked about was actually accurate and backed up by reputable economists etc. Leave on the other hand was much more of a propaganda campaign that resembled Nazi Germany more than the UK, it really did make me sick that so many just goebbeled it up as fact. In fact now that I think about it, leave side was definitely worse than remain, yet they won, so no, name calling and fear had nothing to do with the remain side loss.

The main reason, in my opinion, was an unrepresented class who simply had no idea what they were even doing were given a say in something they knew nothing about. Little Englanders played apart also, but it was those who didn't usually vote in anything that won it. Funny thing is, it is those same people who will pay the price for it, sadly they are making us pay for it also.

Just to avoid opening a whole new can of worms, I'm not for one second saying everything the remain camp said was true/will come true.

Cant ait to see George Osbournes emergency budget and Camerons predictions all come true. Even know the establishment commentators are saying the pound and stock market have crashed and the economy is burning. The Leave side were tarred as thick old ignorant racists while the remain side infiltrated schools with pretty pictures and lies about how the EU kept the peace and helped everyone Those young people are the ones throwing eggs at the elderly because they were brainwashed by the EU Seriously sad
Original post by jneill
There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
=> https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Press article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 2.2 million signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

86% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.

it's fake, completely fake

https://i.sli.mg/maIlEH.png

Reply 495
Original post by democracyforum

No. The JSON simply hasn't updated properly for ages.

I suspect they turned off the updates to reduce the load on the server - or it's just plain broken. The host server is struggling to keep up with the level of interest in this petition. It's 4x bigger (and in a MUCH shorter time period) than the next biggest petition.

In situations like this it's generally better to go with incompetance rather than conspiracy. :wink:
Reply 496
Original post by democracyforum

Hold on - Ive just rechecked it and it's now updated. Give me a sec and I'll do an analysis.

In the meantime: 2.4 million for UK out of 2,492,756
{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":2401768}

Happy...?

Edit to update using latest JSON.

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 22.42.27.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Why the older generation voted to leave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoGMonpBC5E
Original post by stev43219
Cant ait to see George Osbournes emergency budget and Camerons predictions all come true. Even know the establishment commentators are saying the pound and stock market have crashed and the economy is burning. The Leave side were tarred as thick old ignorant racists while the remain side infiltrated schools with pretty pictures and lies about how the EU kept the peace and helped everyone Those young people are the ones throwing eggs at the elderly because they were brainwashed by the EU Seriously sad

wtf are you even talking about?

read that post back to yourself man dear
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
wtf are you even talking about?

read that post back to yourself man dear

wtf are you talking about Read some of your posts back and get over it. Remain lost most likely down to your tarring feathering and lies about what would happen of e left. The leave campaign were not old racist thick little Englanders Most of the leavers voted against the removal of democracy and the land and power grab Most of the remainers were brainwashed benefitted or couldn't care less. There is an argument to be had that the poor in this country are left to rot by a lot of the remain side. This time though the poor and downtrodden stuck up for democracy and freedom Just like they have done over the centuries they are not the wtf's you think they are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending