The Student Room Group

This isn't democracy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Exactly.

Also, It's not very democratic in itself to tell us to "shut up", we have rights to freedom of speech/expression.

We didn't say we are taking your freedom of speech away.

We are only saying that having petitions to overrule a democratic vote is completely stupid and defeats the entire purpose of democracy and independence.
Original post by JordanL_
Love how you haven't commented on the blatant lies, which would have probably led to criminal prosecution if this had been a general election.

I'm guessing you're referring to the £350 million figure, I agree the wording that we 'send' £350 million a week to Europe should have been Europe 'control' £350 million of our money each week, but it's not quite as snappy. There is £350 million a week of our money that we have no control over. Put it this way, you give me £20, in return I give you about £6 worth of goods from my shop, which you don't get to choose and I may or may not give you £4 change depending on how my 27 colleagues vote.
Original post by NickLCFC
The government we elected democratically decided to give us a democratic referendum so the country could vote on an important issue. I'm failing to see why this isn't democracy...

Or decided to give us a a "democratic referendum" to stay in government with a majority...

Just because people had their rights to exercise their democratic vote does not mean that should be the end of everything. As you said, we elected these intermediaries democratically and by doing so we accept a certain amount of authority and they have a right to a system of checks and balances. I didn't say it was undemocratic, I said democracy could have been improved.

Also, there are many undemocratic things about this "democratic referendum".
I couldn't care less. For years many in the leave camp who simply want a sovereign country have been called racist by morons in the remain camp who wanted to push our country towards a European Superstate. Nobody gives a **** what the remain campaign want now. You made your bed and now you will live in it.
Right, so spending millions of pounds on campaign advertising to spread categorical lies isn't corruption.

How do you feel about the Tata Steel bidders pulling out due to the Brexit? Since you're so much in support of a Brexit for the working class.

The remain camp lied about there being no plans for an EU Army. This has been proven to be a lie today as discussions regarding an EU Army are taking place.
Original post by James82
I'm guessing you're referring to the £350 million figure, I agree the wording that we 'send' £350 million a week to Europe should have been Europe 'control' £350 million of our money each week, but it's not quite as snappy. There is £350 million a week of our money that we have no control over. Put it this way, you give me £20, in return I give you about £6 worth of goods from my shop, which you don't get to choose and I may or may not give you £4 change depending on how my 27 colleagues vote.

But they don't control £350m. We get £5b back as a rebate, which never actually gets sent to the EU. We have full control over it and it never leaves the country.

There were also the "TURKEY IS JOINING THE EU" posters. Can't really be bothered finding it but I wrote a big list of all their lies, I found about 5 on their campaign website.
Exactly.

Also, It's not very democratic in itself to tell us to "shut up", we have rights to freedom of speech/expression.

Good job we voted to leave then, the EU are currently drawing up laws that would have restricted our freedom of speech.
Original post by welshiee
You made your bed and now you will live in it.

Well, no... you made our bed, and now we all have to live in it. That's why we're all angry.
Original post by Fantastic Fan
We didn't say we are taking your freedom of speech away.

We are only saying that having petitions to overrule a democratic vote is completely stupid and defeats the entire purpose of democracy and independence.

"Accept it" and "get over it" does take my freedom of speech away, you don't want me to express my opposing views.

I haven't spoken about the petition.
The EU isn't democracy.
Original post by James82
Good job we voted to leave then, the EU are currently drawing up laws that would have restricted our freedom of speech.

Most/all of our laws restricting our freedom of speech come from our own government. It's our government decided that you can now go to prison for making a nasty tweet.
Well, no... you made our bed, and now we all have to live in it. That's why we're all angry.

We've been lying in your bed for decades. Don't expect any sympathy from me.
But they don't control £350m. We get £5b back as a rebate, which never actually gets sent to the EU. We have full control over it and it never leaves the country.

There were also the "TURKEY IS JOINING THE EU" posters. Can't really be bothered finding it but I wrote a big list of all their lies, I found about 5 on their campaign website.

The rebate is not a permanent thing, we could lose it, therefore the EU does have control over that money.

Turkey will be joining the EU, if it still exists by then, pretty much every EU leader has said they support Turkey joining in the future, even Cameron, so why was this a lie?
Original post by welshiee
We've been lying in your bed for decades. Don't expect any sympathy from me.

How has the EU ever disadvantaged you personally?
"Accept it" and "get over it" does take my freedom of speech away, you don't want me to express my opposing views.

You can complain all you want, I'm only telling you that it's pointless because the ex prime minister already said that the result isn't going to change so get used to it.

It's not taking your freedom of speech, it's just an opinion that you should grow up and accept the result.
Most/all of our laws restricting our freedom of speech come from our own government. It's our government decided that you can now go to prison for making a nasty tweet.

I fully agree, but at least I can vote for someone who proposes to repeal those laws, I can't vote for anyone who proposes laws in the EU.
Original post by tanyapotter
How has the EU ever disadvantaged you personally?

Yes, horribly, but its a personal thing that I am not going to air on a public forum.
Original post by James82
It's not taking your freedom of speech, it's just an opinion that you should grow up and accept the result.

I have accepted Britain have voted leave, I'm not delusional. However, I believe this could have been handled better.
I have accepted Britain have voted leave, I'm not delusional. However, I believe this could have been handled better.

In what way? By not having a referendum?

Quick Reply

Latest